Georgia-Atlanta

Okay Georgia girls....peaches, pecans, desserts, oh my!

I am in a dessert debacle.

I originally planned to have a cake, but decided, I'm dealing with enough vendors/details/BS -- we're just not doing a cake. Me, FI, my mom, my dad--- we all agree that we don't need a cake.

So I figured-- the caterer can just whip up something peachy and southern for the dessert.  No stress..... perfect.

He came back with with a suggestion of a pecan tort with chocolate ganache-- which does represent Georgia because of the pecans... but no peaches? My wedding is 90% northerners... they come to Georgia and expect peaches!!  So I have come to the conclusion that peaches are not in season in mid-July here, so we would have to use canned... which is tacky right?

At this point I figure I should just go to Publix and order a cake to not have to worry about it anymore!!!

So what do I do? I'm not sure if I've seen a poll on this board, but I'll give it a shot... because I need help!

Also-- if you know any yummy peach and pecan desserts --- let me know!!

Re: Okay Georgia girls....peaches, pecans, desserts, oh my!

• edited December 2011
    I voted other, but really you could go with any of your options.
    If you are set on peaches, you could ask the caterer to make a peach cobbler for you - you can use canned peaches and it is still yummy.
    The pecan torte sounds delicious! Maybe you could offer this as well as a peach dish?
    Or, you could always go with a cake from Publix... they are yummy, fairly easy to deal with, and affordable. We are getting our cake from Publix.
    ~Megan & Steve 10-10-10~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • cutypie953cutypie953 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you need to sit down and ultimately decide what YOU want.  Stop worrying about what Northern relatives with thing and decide what you want.  If you don't want a cake, then don't settle for getting a cake, ordering something different and unique will be just as easy.

Next question is-are you set on using your cater to make your dessert?  If you are, then you may need to sit and talk with her about all the options and what she is willing to make.  If you find a great recipe but she doesn't want to make it, you have just wasted your time.  After talking to her, then choose something she feels comfortable making.  Most caterers have something with peaches so you should be good.  Once again, if you want peaches and not pecans, use peaches!  Even if they have to be canned, no one will ever know and caterers work wonders with food, its their job!  Now, if you are willing to hire outside your cater (which it sounds like you don't because you don't want antoher vendor) then find a bakery that can make exactly what you want.

Honestly, if you want peaches, have peaches, even if canned, I really don't think the guests will be able to tell if you make it in the right dessert.  You could do a peach cobbler with ice cream and caramel/whip cream on top.  You could do a peach pie.....heck. do like pp mentioned and have something peach AND the pecan tort!

Good luck and let us know what you decide!!
  • alyjoyalyjoy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You may want to see what kind of fillings Publix has to offer! They may be able to incorporate some kind of peach flavor or filling into a cake. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    For our RD dinner, we're doing a "peach cobbler" cupcake with white chocolate cream cheese icing.  My mom and I are making them.  Something like that sounds good.  For what it's worth, we went to Publix too!
  • adrianzbrideadrianzbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_okay-georgia-girlspeaches-pecans-desserts-oh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:b6a5076a-cbbe-46a0-bb14-decb5060de0fPost:e0518bbe-bded-47c5-a4e7-9328a2afec55">Re: Okay Georgia girls....peaches, pecans, desserts, oh my!</a>:
    [QUOTE]For our RD dinner, we're doing a "peach cobbler" cupcake with white chocolate cream cheese icing.  My mom and I are making them.  Something like that sounds good.  For what it's worth, we went to Publix too!
    Posted by bbyckes[/QUOTE]

That sounds yummy!!!
  • adrianzbrideadrianzbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that you should try to do something that will make you happy.  I also agree that a peach cobbler would be yummy even if made with canned peaches.  Another option might be pecan pie with peach ice cream.  Or peach ice cream topped with candied pecans. 

Another dessert that's very southern is banana pudding.  Not fancy, but tasty. 
  • edited December 2011
    I love all of the ideas! I think peach cobbler would be best. I have a tasting tomorrow so I'll let you know what happens!

Thanks girls!
  • kbsmom1kbsmom1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You got lots of great advice.....just an extra fyi.....peaches are still here  in July if you want fresh ones
  • edited December 2011
    We talked to the chef and I was wrong about the peaches... they ARE in season and we are having peach cobbler with ice cream on top!
  • laniandpeachlaniandpeach member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't usually post here, just read for reference, but my last name will be Pietsch, which is pronounced "Peach."  With a name like that, we are just trying not to go to crazy with Peach everything!  Especially being born and raised in GA! 

We are doing a signature liquor drink, "Georgia Peach"  you can google the recipe.  It's a good way to incorporate the peach thing without it having to be a desert.  You can also do Peach Tea, alcoholic or non, with alcoholic being made with Firefly!  I hope this is helpful! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards