Georgia-Atlanta

HELP!!! Ceremony & Reception site advice!

hey yall! I am in need of help finding a new ceremony/reception site for an outdoor wedding and indoor reception. I have a place booked in west atl and I am afraid that the location isnt going to work out because its on a friday night and I am afraid of many issues that could arise with this location (not a very well known place)...I am trying to find a reasonably priced location in the metro atlanta area..preferrably around kennesaw/marietta/ north ga area...I am not really picky with the city...I just need some advice as to where to check out! on a tight budget!!! who isnt these days??? lol...Not to mention the wedding is planned for June 2010!!! ahhh! I am panicking! any suggestions? let me know! thanks guys!!!! :)

Re: HELP!!! Ceremony & Reception site advice!

• edited December 2011
    Well depending on your budget, the best suggestion I have is for Cator-Woolford Gardens but it's right outside of Decatur (intown you might say). I've heard it's really affordable for a Friday night.

Another option might be the Atrium in Norcross? Right off of Jimmy Carter and Buford Hwy.
    HTH!
  • alison_lewalison_lew member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could check The Mansell House in Alpharetta- lovely outside garden for weddings and indoor area for reception.  

Also, check Indian Hills Country Club:  www.indianhillscc.com

Good luck!
  • theanalysttheanalyst member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You could check out The Grande at Kennesaw.  I visited them last month and its super cute inside.  It's one of the "all inclusive" type places so that may work for you.  They have a  Tasting and Design event next Saturday on the 6th that I may go to.  I have my list narrowed down to about 3 places and so far they are the most reasonable.  Hope this helps! 
  • edited December 2011
    Some reasonably priced venues I looked at:
    Roswell River Landing
    Douglasville Conference Center
    Smyrna Community Center
    Douglasville Cultural Arts Center - this is my venue, rental is only $500!!

I would suggest doing a google search for "event space" and "affordable event venue" in each city that you are considering... that is how I found a lot of cheaper places to check out.

Good luck!
    ~Megan & Steve 10-10-10~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • lucyslovedlucysloved member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ditto MeganJ26 in regards to Roswell River Landing. Definately check that out. HTH!

• edited December 2011
    Hey Guys!!!! thanks so much!!!! MeganJ26...The place I have booked is actually in Douglasville because thats where I was wanting to have the wedding!!!! I actually looked at Douglasville Cultural Arts Center on the outside because they were closed the day I went by...how big is it in there? Are you getting married there and also having reception???? I wasnt sure how many people it would hold. Thanks so much for the great advice! I will also check out the others..I am trying Le Jardin Blanc in douglasville but it was almost 9,000!!! ah!!!!!!!!! talk to ya soon!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Le Jardin is was definitely out of my price range too!
    I have not seen the inside of the Cultural Arts Center yet... we have an appointment this Sat with Sara for a tour and to sign a contract and everything. She is holding the date for us until we can see the inside.
    I also saw the outside, a few weekends ago when it snowed. We (me, FI, BM) walked all around it and looked in the windows... I even took pics through the windows, I was sure a cop was going to stop and make sure we were not casing the place LOL

We are doing the ceremony outside (hopefully... keeping my fingers crossed for nice weather) and the reception inside. It looks like 4 open rooms downstairs that connect, each has a fireplace, and at least the 2 front rooms have pianos. I don't know yet what the upstairs is like. I will know more about the set up next week. Sara said it would be a tight fit, but we could have both the ceremony and reception inside if we have bad weather. We are expecting about 75 guests and she said that would be fine.

They seem to be very easy to work with, we can do our own catering, and there are no extra fees or requirements if we bring our own alcohol. Just call and talk to Sara and she will answer all your questions.

Good luck, and I will let you know how it goes this Sat!
    ~Megan & Steve 10-10-10~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Megan! I called today and talked to Sara and she went ahead and pencilled me in for a June wedding. She had my saturday available but the Friday before and the Sunday after were taken. I am wondering about a rehearsal...like when I would have it since that Friday night is taken...I wasn't sure how that would work. She did seem really nice and very easy to work with. The price is very good too. She told me it would be 800 for a saturday and 85 for a cleanup fee but if I became a member then it would be 835 total for everything. I am not sure if its more because of the day being a saturday...are you wanting a saturday? I really need to come into town and look at it..my mom wanted to go this weekend but I live 6 hours away so its really hard to get down there. My sister and dad actually live in Douglasville and I use to a while back. Are you from that area? It sounds very nice but then again I have only seen the outside. Are you guys planning to do food and everything yourselves as well? I think this must be the cheapest route to go is to try and book/do everything yourself. We are just trying to save as much $$$ as possible and its very hard! I also added them on facebook...CAC DVILLE...she said there were more pics on there to see? Anyways, I will talk to ya soon! take care!

Megan
  • edited December 2011
    Glad I could help you out Megan!
    Our date is a Sunday, and that is probably the reason for the lower price. I am going to talk to her about rehearsal options on Sat... but I am thinking that if they are booked the Sat before my date that we could do a rehearsal somewhere else with all the WP and officiant (that I have yet to find, eek!) and then go to dinner. Since your family is in Dville, could you do a rehearsal at one of their houses? Or even a park or other public place somewhere? Or, another option would be to to a short rehearsal the morning of the wedding. I was considering this with another venue, my FI just would not be in the rehearsal, but all he has to do is stand up there and wait for me! LOL
    I live in Newnan, about 30 minutes away from Dville, and one of my BMs lives about 5 min away from the venue. PM me with your email address, or just leave it on here, and I will send you some pics next week.
    I definitely feel you on trying to save $$... my budget is only $5000. It's hard, but you can do it! I plan on doing a lot of DIY... not sure about food yet... Since our date is a Sunday, we will have to be out by 8pm (you can stay later for Fri or Sat) we are probably going to do an early afternoon ceremony and apps and cake reception. I am considering doing the food ourselves (FI is a cook, after all) BUT I don't know if that would just be too much. We would have to hire helpers, and who would be getting all the food set up and ready while everyone is at the ceremony? I am going to price some caterers once we get the venue locked in and see what my options are.
    We are doing the flowers ourselves, and I just booked a photographer this week, for only $450!!! Her website is www.splashoflifeportraits.com if you want to check her out, she was recommended by a church friend of my mom's.
  • edited December 2011
    hey megan!!! wow that sounds awesome!!! my email is sweetnsourmeg_08@yahoo.com I would love to see pics and i will try her website. That is my budget too!!! glad I am not the only one!!! I was thinking to rehearse that morning since it is taken friday evening since we do have it from 9 am until midnight I mean that is a longgg time...I will be doing a lot of DIY stuff as well......just to save on cost...plus I would love to have a nice honeymoon when its all said and done and have money left for that!!! haha....I will talk to ya soon..take care!!

Megan
  • edited December 2011
    There are several locations in Dawsonville that are good: Peach Brandy Cottage, Chestatee Golf Club, and Crystal Falls. They are all outdoors, and priced right.
  • fiddle14fiddle14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For Kennesaw, look about 10 posts down about "The Grande"  (historic house with outdoor ceremony area).

Some places in Marietta:

Marlow House
    - The two ladies who run this place are WONDERFUL to work with!  Venue is reasonably priced from what I hear.  http://www.marlowhouse.com/

Whitlock Inn    http://www.whitlockinn.com/

Hollycrest Hall  http://www.hollycresthall.com/

If you need a little more space:
    Indian Hills Country Club (open to non-members)  http://www.indianhillscc.com/

• Almost MrsKAlmost MrsK member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our ceremony and reception at Brookstone CC in Acworth. I'm not sure how much you are willing to spend, but when comparing them to a lot of other places we looked we are getting a lot included in the price. 
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Megan!
    Hope you had a good weekend. I went and looked at CAC on Saturday... and your sister (and mother, maybe?) were there right before me! Sarah was SUPER nice, and seems very easy to work with. I am really happy with the venue... there are so many options for how to set everything up. I know your sis took pics, but I will be more than happy to send you mine too if you still need them. It will probably be tomorrow afternoon before I can upload them. Just let me know!

Talk to you soon,
    The other Megan :)
  • edited December 2011
    hey thanks for the great advice everyone!!!!
    Megan- hey! I wasn't sure if you saw them or not but I knew they were going to look for me..my sis's name is Sarah too..haha that was them.....she took pics but I cant see them really well and they werent happy with some of the things about the place but my issue is that my guests would mostly be coming from North GA and i think it may be too far for them..sooo we kept looking and my moms friend lives in Lake Arrowhead in Waleska near Canton and they have a new Country Club that is less than a year old- if you meet their food and beverage minimum of 1500 the rental is waived which it would only have been 75.00 !!!...we are saving so much money this way and it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! no chair or tent rentals needed...i am sooo thankful!!!! If you run into any problems let me know and I will try to help!!!!! I know your wedding will turn out BEAUTIFUL there @ CAC!!!!! :) talk to ya soon!!!!

Megan
  • edited December 2011

Megan,
    Sorry the CAC won't work for you, but I am so glad you found somewhere perfect AND affordable! Doesn't it feel great to find such good deals?!? I agree that it will probably better for you to have a venue closer to your guests, and the country club sounds great. Good luck with everything!!!

Megan

• edited December 2011
    Please share info about this country club in Waleska! I live in Canton. I am so torn right now because the places in my budget just aren't my style. (champagne taste on a beer budget of course)...
    the Stanley House (www.thestanleyhouse.com) in Marietta is VERY AFFORDABLE but i dont like the down home mansion feel....
    BAM art space looks awesome but the staff has some pretty bad reviews on line....just keep sharing ideas guys I am taking notes!!
    *MaryV*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards