Georgia-Atlanta

Need help - wedding venues??

I've just started planning a wedding for early summer 2012.  I have looked at a ton of venues (visited 6 so far!) but can't seem to find "the one."  I need help!  I want a Saturday evening wedding, where I can get married outside (later in the evening when it's cooler!) but have something with A/C for the reception - either inside or a big climate-controlled tent.  I'm looking at ~150 people and I want a place where we'll all be in the same room - not segmented into different areas of a house.  I would love something on the water but that might be tough since we're in Atlanta.  I don't want to have to drive more than an hour from Atlanta, either - it would be hard for guests flying in to get there.  I have some flexibility on budget but hope to keep it below $100/pp for food and alcohol; I'm willing to spend more if I found the *perfect* place though.

Does this place exist?  Am I being too picky?  So far I have found beautiful outdoor spaces with no A/C (not an option for a summer reception!), or great facilities 2 hours outside Atlanta, or places that won't hold 150 and a dance floor.  Any suggestions of venues would be great, or maybe a reality check if I'm going to have to compromise!  Thanks in advance!

Re: Need help - wedding venues??

• pokepoke27pokepoke27 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know where in Atlanta you are from but you can look at the Roswell River Landing. It is JUST a venue though - it does not have any preferred vendors or wedding packages. I love it - it is right on the river and you can have your ceremony on a deck overlooking the water. The building is beautiful and can fit up to 200 people. You can bring in your own caterer/DJ/Photographer etc. I've just booked my wedding there. The rental fee for a weekend is $900 plus a $500 security deposit which is refunded after the event if there is no damage done. You get the place from 8 am to 2 am, and since it is owned by the city you have to pay $30 per hour for a cop for the duration of your wedding.
  • edited December 2011

I second everything Pokepoke said except the capacity. There is absolutely no way that building can fit 200 people. No way, no how.If you want everyone in one room, it can comfortably accommodate about 80 people if you do the dancing outside. If you use the upstairs level (lofts that overlook the main room) you can probably get up to 140-150.

Don't bother with Pristine Chapel, yes they do have a pretty outdoor area but their food is not good and they only let you have a 3 hour reception.

Have you looked into Lake Lanier? You can swing it on your budget. Also, Windermere Golf Club in Cumming is pretty, but I'm not sure if they can fit 150 in the ballroom.

• edited December 2011
    Try Pinetree Country Club in Kennesaw, if you don't mind getting married on the golf course.  I almost booked that place, and the director said there is a place you can go to take pics with great views of Kennesaw mountain in the background, and also there are some gardens nearby if you want to go take pics there. 

We were planning for 150 people with a dance floor so I know it can seat that many in their ballroom. 
    Photobucket
  • chrissyinatlchrissyinatl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree with Lake Lanier.  Or what about Chateau Elan?  Do they do weddings?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Atlanta Botanical Gardens offers outdoor and indoor spaces - some overlooking small lakes/ponds/fountains

• edited December 2011
    Which venues have you already seen?  That info can help us figure out what direction you're thinking. 

Have you checked Canoe?  I know they have outdoor space but I'm not sure how many guests it holds.  There are lots of contemporary venues that are beautiful open rooms you can rent.  Check out the Defoor Center or The Contemporary.

Also look back at previous posts!  Girls ask for venue recommendations at least once a week, see what people replied with to them!
  • BellaBlue82BellaBlue82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks y'all!  I will look into your suggestions!  I already looked at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens and Canoe, but they were either booked on my dates or didn't have A/C or something like that!
  • kimberlykhkimberlykh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you check the Piedmont Room?  They have a temperature controlled tent area for receptions.  Very pretty. It is in Piedmont Park. 
  • mrsbrantleymrsbrantley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow... pokepoke27 that's awesome! thanks for sharing!!
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jjgoodinjjgoodin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    im getting married at Windermere Golf Club. They have a gorgeous lake and willow tree setting for the ceremony! it's right off 400 and only like a 30 minute drive from Atlanta.
  • edited December 2011
    I got married at Carl House and loved it and i have a lot of friends getting married their next summer. I had an outside garden ceremony and an indoor reception in their ballroom. I know their inside option can hold over 200 people. Their pricing is very reasonable when i was comparing, one of the lowest actually. you should check them out. Hope that helps
  • KnaijaQueenKnaijaQueen member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried Cator Woolford Gardens?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_need-wedding-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:f9da8fef-72a3-40b4-bfdf-a1edb925d520Post:cca602bb-0a7d-42fb-b728-6d734c9fdb28">Re: Need help - wedding venues??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did you check the Piedmont Room?  They have a temperature controlled tent area for receptions.  Very pretty. It is in Piedmont Park. 
    Posted by kimberlykh[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That was my first thought...</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>oh and Pristine lets you have more than a 3 hour reception. Thats my venue and I'm doing pretty much everything I want (some with additional costs though - but that's pretty much everywhere you go if you want more than the normal allotted time due to staffing costs, etc)

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe Piedmont Park Conservancy???  They have a couple of buildings, but I can't remember the names. 
    Villa Christina may also fit the bill, but they are a bit pricey.
  • haleightibbshaleightibbs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're willing to travel outside of Atlanta then The Garrett-Bullock House in Columbus is an incredible indoor/outdoor venue, the food was incrediblely tastey and they take care of everything for you.  It was one of the neatest venues I have seen the way everything was handled.  And when my best friend told me how much they paid for everything I almost fell off my chair -- she had her entire wedding with everything for 125 people for under $10k.  With the different foods and awesome service I would have guessed twice that!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards