Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

My poor puppy :-(

Got spayed on Friday. She was doing GREAT saturday when we picked her up, and even Sunday morning. Sunday night I noticed she was bleeding, so we call the vet, who of course is not there.

We are those people that rush our dog to the doggie emergency room at 10:00 on a Sunday night.

Monday/Tuesday/Today she has gone to our vet every morning, and we pick her up around dinner time. They have to train the fluid in her. She got an infection because they didn't give us a cone, and she licked.

It's to the point where they may have to go in for a 2nd surgery if she doesn't stop producing the pus/blood that keeps leaking out. The antibiotics don't seem like they are working to me. I'm starting to get very worried about her.

:-( If you get your girl dogs fixed, use a "party hat" as they like to call it, insist in one even... we just assumed because they said she didn't need one that she didn't, but this all could have been avoided otherwise. :-(. Doggie owner not doing well!!!

Re: My poor puppy :-(

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Awww, I'm so sorry to hear about that!! What a mess, I hope she's doing okay and doesn't need a second surgery.  That was pretty negligent of your vet not to provide a cone and explain about keeping the wound clean, at least for the first day or two.  :-(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The wound was clean, it looked perfect... she just licked at it when we weren't with her/bed time. Dogs lick.... it's not new news. gr. Haha but thank you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh I know, I wasn't saying you did anything wrong or anything. Sorry if it came out that way.   Dogs are dogs!  Its a shame it got infected though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    aww BP my puppy was spaded Monday. I went right out and bought her a cone!

I hope everything turn out ok. We would be the 10 PM Sunday night emergency room people too ;)
  • Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    :(  poor pup

hope she feels better soon!
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awe I am so sorry, I hope she is ok really fast! My dog didn't have a cone either when he was neutered, I thought it was kinda strange they didn't provide one. Good luck!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aww, BP I was wondering what was going on.  I'm so sorry to hear all of this!  I do hope that everything is ok and that they can get her as good as new without having to do another surgery.

I find it really odd that your vet didn't provide you with an E-collar (well they charge you of course, but they don't let you leave without one).  We've always gotten them with our other dogs - they now even have soft ones that make it a little easier for them to get around with.  We take Chase to get neutered in 2 weeks and will be very vigilant with keeping his on.  I really do hope your pup is doing better = /
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_poor-puppy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:4a58a59b-3038-4d65-8268-12a0d956563fPost:1af3dce5-cd42-4905-a552-0ef99e9dcc68">Re: My poor puppy :-(</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aww, BP I was wondering what was going on.  I'm so sorry to hear all of this!  I do hope that everything is ok and that they can get her as good as new without having to do another surgery.<strong> I find it really odd that your vet didn't provide you with an E-collar</strong> (well they charge you of course, but they don't let you leave without one).  We've always gotten them with our other dogs - they now even have soft ones that make it a little easier for them to get around with.  We take Chase to get neutered in 2 weeks and will be very vigilant with keeping his on.  I really do hope your pup is doing better = /
    Posted by PharmJen[/QUOTE]

Our vet didn't provide us with one either. I just went out and bought one because a coworker told me to.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our vet actually said "She hasn't been bothering with it, or licking, so you don't need an E Collar.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Nicole - The vet didn't even tell you to get one??  For some reason, this blows my mind. 

Then again, I just got a quote for $722 to neuter my 5 lb Yorkie (complete with E collar and fentanyl - yes, fentanyl - patch) so maybe I shouldn't be shocked by much when it comes to vet care.   

Yorkie Jenga

• Options
    edited December 2011
    BP - have you considered switching your vet?  This would push me over the edge.  Chase had a reaction to the 4 (!!) vaccines they gave him at once last month.  We had to take him to the animal hospital at 11pm because of it - just awful.  Then after we received the above monstrous neuter quote, plus a few other things, we decided we felt better bringing him to my parents vet in NJ for his routine care.  That's how peeved I was with these people - robbing me blind and not looking out for my puppy's best interests.
    Yorkie Jenga

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well I dropped her off and FI picked her up so maybe they did tell him? lol

$722?!?! Where in the world is your vet? I thought $325 was a lot for our 10lb dog getting spayed and having teeth pulled!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

In MD outside DC.  Where it is quite clear that the effects of the recession are not being felt as strongly. 

Yorkie Jenga

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We paid about 450 for her. To be honest, they have bene so fantastic with all the problems our animals have had. Even now they are taking her every day when it really only takes an hour, even thought it sort of was their fault. They are the best place around us, IDK where else I'd go...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    BP, if you don't mind my asking, who is your vet?  I might be able to get some recommendations for you if you are interested.  I use Hickory Vet Hospital in Plymouth Meeting.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Plymouth meeting is way too far for us. Aside from the cone mishap, they have been FANTASTIC. We asked 4 of our neighbors who thye use when we first moved in, they all said this place. They saved our older neighbor across the street dog. They just didn't give us a stupid cone.wtf
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BP, I can't even tell you how many times I took my cat to the vet at a crazy hour-- especially towards the end.  It just shows that you love them and you are a good owner. :)

I hope the little lady is doing better soon. 
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh no! I hope she gets better soon, and without the surgery!!!

Kayla didn't need a cone when she was fixed, but one of my parents' dogs did and that was probably more traumatic for him than the surgery. Well, that and they had to put boxer shorts on both of them!

I agree that the willingess to drive to the emergency vet in the middle of the night is a sign of a good, caring owner/family member!
    And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmmm I've had numerous dogs get fixed (both boys and girls) and have never needed a cone.  Perhaps cause they are dachshunds and cannot easily reach that area!!  Sorry you have to go through this and your poor puppy too.

Wow both of your price quotes for getting your dogs fixed is insane!! Paid $150 over here in south NJ.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    aprovencher - I was just quoted $350 in South Jersey but paid $150 for my last doggie at the same vet a few years ago.  Estimates are always on the hight side...but $700+ is just ridic no matter how you look at it!
    Yorkie Jenga

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My vet uses lazers, which is why it's more expensive. The healing time is much quicker, and worked out so well for my other pets.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_poor-puppy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:4a58a59b-3038-4d65-8268-12a0d956563fPost:16f7c1f5-389c-4d90-888f-7ee24c7992bf">Re: My poor puppy :-(</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmmmm I've had numerous dogs get fixed (both boys and girls) and have never needed a cone.  <strong>Perhaps cause they are dachshunds and cannot easily reach that area!!</strong>  Sorry you have to go through this and your poor puppy too. Wow both of your price quotes for getting your dogs fixed is insane!! Paid $150 over here in south NJ.
    Posted by aprovencher21[/QUOTE]

I must have one flexible puppy!! ;)

BP - any updates on your pup?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    She's back today for more draining. She seems to have energy back, but the infection still isn't cleared. Still not sure if she needs to go in for surgery again. We will find that out either today, or Saturday.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards