Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Favors (also, am I a jerk?)

I've never been someone to take favors at weddings, so decided not to have any at mine. Someone started a thread about this on another board I read and people basically said that favors are not an option, they are a must. Since the other board is people from all over the country, I figured you girls would have a better grasp on whether or not I have ot have them in the Philly area.
So, is it okay for me to not have favors or am I breaking some super-etiquette rule?

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Favors (also, am I a jerk?)

• Options
    amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You don't need favors.  I was at a wedding last year and didn't miss them at all.  Unless it's something edible I usually leave it also.  I'm not one to have random stuff around. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    most favors get wasted and usually a ton never even get taken from the reception so its a huge waste. I am doing a Photobooth so its somehting fun plus the guests can leave with a picture but it also double as the guest book too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Half the time I forget about it and half the time it gets thrown out. The only favor I've really liked was a really nice ornament we got at FI's friend's wedding around Christmas. Sadly, I lost it in the move though.

We are doing donations in lieu of favors. Some people have strong feelings against this because it is giving their gift to someone else, but I would never think that if I saw it at a wedding and I think it's a nice thing to do. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Most favors are a waste of money, don't bother if you don't want to.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I did a photo booth that dubbed as our favor and guest book. If we didn't have that I would of just made a donation. Although the food favor is not a bad idea ;)

I honestly can't tell you what the favors were at any weddings I have attended, so if they weren't there I obviously didn't miss them!
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't do favors, and I don't think anyone noticed. 

Actually, I know my friends didn't notice until two weeks ago.  We were haning out and they said something about the favors at my wedding.  WHen I told them I didn't have any they were like , "You didn't?  I didn't even notice".

[edit]  we actually took the money we would have spent of favors and upgraded our bar options.  So, I guess better alcohol was our favor ;)
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't do favors.  And not one person complained or made a comment about the lack of favors.  Spend your money elsewhere.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We decided that we aren't doing favors.  We haven't talked about doing a donation to an organization, but I've thought about it.  If I have any extra money left after I pay everyone, then I'm going to make a donation of some kind.  Possibly to the Brain Aneurysm Foundation or the Ronald McDonald House.  Kids who are sick always get me. 
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    >>So, I guess better alcohol was our favor ;) <<

This is the best favor any one could give!
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all! I'll stop worrying about it now :)

No favors for me!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, we were gonna do favors, but I realized there's better places we can spend our money. Like better alcohol & more food. I will have a ton of ornaments around, so if anyone wants to take any, I won't be offended.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Unless the favor is edible, I usually don't take it. Not on purpose, I just usually forget about it.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Not a jerk at all. As I am beginning this process I am becoming a bigger believer in doing what YOU want. If you don't want to do it, don't. I personally love getting favors at a wedding but I am weird.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I definitely don't think favors are necessary nor are they missed when they aren't there.

We did a homemade cookie bar at our wedding and had little takeout boxes for guests to bring some home at the end of the night if they wanted.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Something edible is always good.

I am doing a candy buffet (all Hershey brand candies) and doing a donation to Breast Cancer.

If someone doesn't like it too bad.
    image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If we were going to do favors... we were going to do edible favors.  It just got too expensive.

You only need so many candles shaped like pears in love. lol.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_favors-also-am-jerk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:535c3b58-fb93-4147-b691-951e43d67603Post:ae36ab9a-1026-49b6-acd0-3543794e7034">Re: Favors (also, am I a jerk?)</a>:
    [QUOTE]You don't need favors.  I was at a wedding last year and didn't miss them at all.  Unless it's something edible I usually leave it also.  I'm not one to have random stuff around. 
    Posted by amy727[/QUOTE]

<div>Another one for this.  </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was just about to post a similar q! FI and my mom think its a waste of $ and no one even takes them. I was beginning well maybe we should do somethign small just in case, but this has made me feel alot better!  If we have some extra $ maybe we'll do some kinda food upgrade or something. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    were not doing favors. so if your a jerk, then so am i =)
    October 2012 May 2011 Siggy: E-Ring
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    nancyrnancyr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    From my vast experience (and since I'm a MOB I've been to more than a few weddings), the main people who love favors are any kids you invite! (of the female variety!) Either that or food of some kind, candy seems to be a favorite.  But some brides feel they can't have a wedding without favors, the same thing with showers.  Frankly I can live without them, even if they are food.  It's a lot of extra money for something that is not needed.  JMHO though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards