Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Potito's Bakery

My venue contracts their wedding cakes with Potito's Bakery in South Philly and I have never heard of them however my reseach via internet reviews has not left me feeling happy about having them make my wedding cake. Has anyone used them since they reopened for their wedding?
Once in awhile,right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket

Re: Potito's Bakery

• edited December 2011
    my dad is from south philly and i got him a cake from potitios a few years ago as a way back when kind of thing and it was amazing. it was just a vanilla cake with a choc layer and vanilla buttercreme frosting. but it was so good!!!!!! this was probably 4 years ago or so though...
  • edited December 2011
    I am having Potito's for my wedding (which is in 5 weeks) at the insistence of my dad, who has been getting desserts there since they opened in the 80s. I never found any negative reviews of them in my research (not that I really had a choice in the matter!), what negative things were people saying?
  • edited December 2011
    If you google them there is an article and a few reviews on sites that they closed in the middle of the night, no forwarding infomation was given. If your father has been going for so many years has he ever mentioned that? The only good reviews I've read are about there cannoli's which would be fantasic if I served cannoli's instead of a wedding cake. I'm so stressed with this issue, word of mouth is very important to me when it comes to me being a customer and so far I haven't heard any brides using them. :0(
    Once in awhile,right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    7E- are you doing a cake tasting first? Maybe a visit there will ease your fears!
    If you aren't satisified w/ the tasting, will your venue let you bring in a cake from another vendor and refund you the portion that went towards the other cake?

I don't have any experience with this baker but I am sure you are in good hands if your vendor is using them exclusively. I would think that if they weren't satisifying the brides that booked with them then they would take their business elsewere.
    Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with jenmac, even if you don't get a formal tasting, go there and buy a small cake and see what you think.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • edited December 2011
    7E - When was the date of that review about it shutting down? They do have different hours in the summer, and I think there was a time that they would be closed the entire month of August. The bakery did shut down for almost a year because the owners were retiring. What ended up happening was the daughter bought it and now she runs it. There used to be a whole story about the history on the website, but it looks like they've updated it. I have never heard any complaints about them and definitely suggest that you go and taste some of their stuff - that may be the best way to feel at ease! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards