July 2012 Weddings
Options

Parent gifts?

What are you getting your parents besides photo albums after the wedding? I have two weeks left and I am out of creative ideas!

Re: Parent gifts?

• Options
    Giving my mom a vacation to southern California. Giving FI's parents a gift certificate to a nice restaurant. 

My mom is contributing a lot to the wedding and FI's parents aren't contributing anything so the gifts aren't even. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are getting them both photo albums and will probably pick up gift cards for restaurants this week so they can each have a "date night."

Anniversary
  • Options
    No idea. :-(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    we plan on paying for their cruise deposit for the cruise we plan on taking together next September =)
  • Options
    owengirl996owengirl996 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Wow...these are way bigger gifts than I expected to see! We are paying for our own wedding almost completely (my parents are pitching in here and there, plus my dress), and we're too broke to give those kinds of gifts! Eeek...now I feel kind of cheap and too embarassed to say what we are giving them lol
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    I never even thought about it....my mom got huffy with me when i mentioned welcome baskets for them....we are paying for everything and money is tight...
  • Options

I made gift baskets full of random little things they like and i m gonna stick in a few gift cards to some of theyre fav places

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I am not doing the parents gifts at the wedding.  I am doing them at Christmas.  I am getting pictures of FI and his mom and my mom and me putting them in frames with the poem I wrote my mom for mother's day.  Then the gift for both parents is going to be calendars of wedding pictures. 
    Cate Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_parent-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:77b84e95-8aff-4d02-b914-12ba5456c96ePost:33ef0b0a-ed63-4318-8e41-263f9473a314">Re: Parent gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow...these are way bigger gifts than I expected to see! We are paying for our own wedding almost completely (my parents are pitching in here and there, plus my dress), and we're too broke to give those kinds of gifts! Eeek...now I feel kind of cheap and too embarassed to say what we are giving them lol
    Posted by owengirl996[/QUOTE]

<div>It probably sounds bigger than it is. We plan on spending about 10% of what my mom gave us on a gift for her. Not like we're going to take 10% of what she gave us and spend it on her gift but we're going to match her 10% (I hope that makes sense). We're spending $150ish on FI's parents.</div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Giving my parents a little "excursion" Snake River float and riverside dinner for a trip that they're taking in September to Wyoming.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_parent-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:77b84e95-8aff-4d02-b914-12ba5456c96ePost:999dfc41-bcaa-499b-965c-5a72bc05f92e">Re: Parent gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not doing the parents gifts at the wedding.  I am doing them at Christmas.  I am getting pictures of FI and his mom and my mom and me putting them in frames with the poem I wrote my mom for mother's day.  Then the gift for both parents is going to be calendars of wedding pictures. 
    Posted by cmhutchison22[/QUOTE]

I was worried because FI and I are absolutely broke from this wedding and we weren't sure what to do about parent's gifts. But I love this idea. Maybe at the wedding we can give them a nice handwritten letter. And after the wedding, we can give pictures/albums. But I like the idea of giving them their actual gift at christmas. Then I have time to save for it!
    Getting married on July 20th, 2012!!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_parent-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:77b84e95-8aff-4d02-b914-12ba5456c96ePost:8ae6fca7-a020-411b-80c7-30a5a99026ff">Re: Parent gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Giving my mom a vacation to southern California. Giving FI's parents a gift certificate to a nice restaurant.  My mom is contributing a lot to the wedding and FI's parents aren't contributing anything so the gifts aren't even. 
    Posted by MeaganR12[/QUOTE]

We are kind of in the same boat. My parents are basically paying entirely for the reception and we are covering the other costs (our attire, rings, honeymoon, etc). FI's parents are doing the rehearsal dinner, but it is much smaller and they are cooking themselves, not catering. I'm fine with that, but I feel like my parents' gift should be a little more substantial. I like the idea of a vacation, but I could never plan something like that without their input. I just researched a little and major hotel chains sell gift cards -- I'm thinking of a Hilton one they can use whenever/wherever. Thanks for the idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards