Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

School Bus as a Wedding Guest Shuttle-Tacky?

Hi all!

Is it tacky to use a school bus to transport guests between the venue and the hotel we have reserved? The venue and the hotel are about 20 mins apart (so 40 mins roundtrip.) We are expecting a large number of guests to use the shuttle and if we used a shuttle from a limo company we'd most likely have to make 2 trips and the first set of guests would be waiting for more than an hour at the venue for the wedding to begin. If we use a school bus, we could fit a much larger number and would probably only have to make one trip (and then 2 return trips so if people want to leave a little earlier they may do so.) Also, the cost savings is tremendous (about $500!) But...is a school bus tacky? As a guest at a wedding, would you be ok riding a school bus?

Thanks!

Wedding Pic Preview

Anniversary

Re: School Bus as a Wedding Guest Shuttle-Tacky?

• Options
    We are using school buses (whether guests think it's tacky or not lol) as well, because of the number of people we are transporting. It's really the only good option. I don't think it's a big deal at all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've never minded being shuttled in a school bus; but I know my parents have—they acually rented a car and driver on a few occasions so they wouldn't have to take a bus. Their major complaint was the leg room (really tight for grown men) and most school buses don't have AC...or if they do, it takes a long time for them to get to a comfortable temperature. Sittling in the heat in a suit or tux doesn't seem very plesant. 
    Engaged on August 13, 2011. Getting married on June 30, 2012 at The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, PA
  • Options
    I think other then the none AC factor you should be ok.  LIke MK&T said most dont have AC and it can be uncomfortable to be waiting on a hot bus while it fills up!
  • Options
    As a guest, I'm usually just happy to have a ride.  We're considering options as well, and school buses are on the list.
  • Options
    We are using school buses since we went our guests to have a great time and still get home safely.  We are getting married at a winery in Bucks that involves some dark back roads and I don't want to worry about everyone getting home safe :)   Actually most of our guests think its a "fun" idea to have the school buses. 
  • Options
    Could any of you ladies share bus companies and approximate prices? I'm looking into transportation options ATM. 
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • Options
    We are using Allstate Transportation from the Lower Bucks area.  I think I found them through Bus1111.com.  They gave us a fantastic rate, not hidden fees, etc. which surprised me considering our venue and where we live are in the Upper Bucks area.  I have two pick-up and drop off locations. 
  • Options
    I've been looking into getting a school bus too!  I'm actually a teacher, so I thought it might be cute :)  Does anyone have a good school bus company they are using?  I'm having trouble finding one for our wedding in Delaware County.
  • Options
    albarnett25albarnett25 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I don't think its tacky at all.  We are using one.  I did think about the AC problem, but I think at that point, people are just going to be thankful for a ride. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input. We are considering using Wolfington's Bus Company in the Exton area since it's pretty close to our venue.

Wedding Pic Preview

Anniversary
  • Options
    Not tacky at all. And they are not the actual buses that the kids ride in and they do have AC. The driver will have the bus at a good temperature in anticipation of you guests. I have been to two weddings that used school buses in August and the AC was perfect and I was glad that none of the guests would be drinking and diving.

We also used a school bus. It was a bit chilly that day and my guests were perfectly comfortable. We used Yellowbus and it was ridiculously cheap.

IMO, it is foolish to rent one of those luxury liners for these short trips.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Options
    We're using Wolfington Bus Company - we got a few quotes and they were the best
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Hi thanks for the info on the bus company..bus1111.com How was the customer service? Were they reliable? They don't seem too friendly on the phone so I am looking for someone who has used them in the past. Thanks, Amy Schrader schrader93gmail.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards