Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

NWR - Paint colors help!

After some thought, I want to paint some rooms in my house before we move in. 

For the bedroom:  Our furniture is the black/brown Hemnes from IKEA and the sheet set is from Kohl's brown and blue.  Very simple, no pattern Clicky.  I was thinking about doing a chair rail (maybe white or a dark wood stain?  I still have to price this) then have the top half a light baby blue and the bottom a darker teal.  Thoughts?

I'm at a lost for the Living room/Morning room area.  My couch is very beige/neutral.  I have red accents - curtains and a throw.  We also have a sunset pic to hang above the fireplace that's reds and oranges.  No idea what color to do this room in.  I'm very bold color-phobic.  And I need it to coordinate with the morning room since it's a very open floor plan.  I should also mention the kitchen is light oak, tan tile (in kitchen and morning room), but the counter tops is mainly black with specks of brown. 

Now help me decorate please!!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
my 2012 shelf:
Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)

Re: NWR - Paint colors help!

• Options
    edited December 2011

About the bedroom: Just make sure that your blues in your linens and the blues on the walls all match.  I think you'd have an easier time doing a light neutral color on top and blue on the bottom for the chair rail, rather than trying to coordinate 3 different shades of blue.  Blues can be a PIA to match.

For the living/morning room.. idk.  Maybe a warm neutral (like a light goldish color) and an accent wall?  That way you are too neutral and you're easing yourself into the bold color choices :)

Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    Cackle6Cackle6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto what RA said. And chair rails are super easy to add, but def paint/stain them before you put them up.

I love the idea of doing a goldish neutral color with an accent wall. And I know a lot of people are afraid to do red walls, but don't be! They really turn out so so great, and if you keep it to just one wall it will give a nice punch of color without being to overbearing. We did our entryway in red (the top part is red, the bottom is white), and it turned out great.

And paint samples are a really great way to figure out what colors you want. I have so many paint samples from all our different rooms, it's kinda crazy, heh. But it really did help figure out exactly what colors we wanted.

And really, if you end up hating it, it's just paint, it's easy to re-do. :)
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks gals!

Bedroom - I didn't think about matching it to the bedset.  I'll have to think about that.  I wasn't going for the matchy-matchy in case down the road we get another set.  The top would be a very light blue, almost white... maybe match the bottom with the set?  And/Or I could maybe do a light tan for the top?

And I will definitely be painting/staining the chair rails before we put it up.  My dad is a retired carpenter so I'm sure he can handle installing the chair rail (and it being up to my ODC tendencies with things being straight etc). 

Living Area - I think I know what you mean by goldfish neutral color... I think I saw it in a morning room at one of the model homes and it looked nice.  A dark red did cross my mind for the wall with the fire place... but I.AM.SCARED. 
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Don't be askeerd!  It will be fine.  And like Cackle said...if it's absolutely dreadful, get yourself a good can of primer and do it again.

I have a BLUE wall in my bedroom.  And by BLUE I mean like ROYAL BLUE.  It's awesome.  It took some convincing on my part, but we really like it.  All the other walls in our bedroom are white, and it looks really nice.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    Cackle6Cackle6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Seriously, don't be scared of the red! Especially if it's just one wall, you can always paint over it with the other room color if you don't like it. I was kinda scared at first too, but then it just kinda hit me that it was our house, and we could always just repaint! I did use a ton of paint samples before deciding though, since we had to paint literally every room in our house, and I only wanted to have to do it once during the first year (I've already repainted one of the bathrooms though, heh).

Here's a few pics of the red we went with - the room next to it is a light golden yellow and works pretty well.

ETA: If you do go with red, make sure you use a grey primer on the wall first, and use the Behr paint with primer in it. Two coats and you are done. We painted our bedroom first, and went with a dark navy blue, neglected to use a grey primer, and got regular paint. 6 COATS LATER, and it finally stopped being spotty. So yeah, with the darker colors, def go with the paint with primer. :)

• Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    edited December 2011
    RA - I think FI would rather me do one wall blue then my chair rail two tone idea!   Does you bedset coordinate with the royal blue?  Matching the bedset blue on that wall would be pretty...  I'm really thinking about the tan top, white chair rail, blue bottom now...  I might be making him go to lowes and stock up on the paint cards... I know I'm going to get overwhelmed.

Cackle - oh I like the red hehe.  It does go well with the yellow...That's what I'm Afraid is how to make it all flow since it is an open area.
    my 2012 shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our bedspread is actually neutral.  I have a white down comforter... and when it's really cold I put a duvet cover on it, but sometimes it's just too hot with the down & the duvet.  The duvet is camel.  So our colors in the bedroom are white, camel, and BLUE.  Our carpet is also blue.

And Gzilla's mom is making curtains for us that are chocolate, camel, blue, ivory, and red in this funky damask pattern.  It sounds really gaudy, but it isn't.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mana- I'm bringing you paint chips tonight. Kthanx. :)
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    edited December 2011
    Paprika - Ah haha OK!  I was hoping you'll be there tonight. 
    my 2012 shelf:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards