Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Bridesmaid dress details

I will be having 4 bridesmaids, none of which live nearby me, the closest is 4 hours away. 

Our colors are black and champagne and instead of making them pick one style, I was thinking of telling them to just pick a black tea-length dress they like best, but then after a previous post i just got to thinking, will it look funny with different kinds of material? 

I don't want to be a pain and say to them "only this material"  although they are black, i would imagine having certain material limitations, be difficult.

Then if i did, i wouldn't know what material to choose. 
The wedding is labor day weekend and my dress is mostly satin with lace overlay in places. 

Also, would having them wear black shoes be too matchy?

What do you guys suggest?
 Thanks!  
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridesmaid dress details

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if this helps, but I'm asking by bridesmaids to pick any long dress from a specific manufactuer in a certain fabric. The collection has lots of options so people can (hopefully) find something they're comfortable with. 

Given the distance, the best bet might be something like David's Bridal, and asking them all to get their dresses there.  I don't think the fabric request is demanding, especailly since the dress will be short and black, incresing the likelihood they'll wear it again.

And as long as you're not making them buy $700 Manolos, I think they can handle wearing black shoes as well.  Who doesn't have a pair of black dress shoes?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My BMs work black tea length dresses w/black strappy heels in August.  Don't worry about it being plain or matchy-matchy.  Black is pretty neutral.

If you give your BMs freedom to pick their own dresses, will they pick something appropriate?  I ask because some people need details like fabrics, while others know better and will pick something good, or they may coordinate it on their own.  I would hate for someone to show up in a cotton sundress just because it was black and tea length, ya know.  If they may not have the best judgement, it may help to define what material(s) you expect them to get.
  • Options
    lisalaroclisalaroc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely recommend somewhere like David's Bridal where there are multiple locations and fabric styles.  There are so many dresses in each type of fabric, that it should be fairly easy for each of your girls to find something they like in the correct length and fabric.  I think giving thema  bit of a guidance will definitely help ensure you have what you want.

Also, I think black shoes are absolutely fine.  I was in a wedding when we wore black dresses with black shoes and it was okay.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would agree that although you will want to be flexible, direction will be good for the sake of your photos and for your bridesmaids.  Giving them a particular designer, fabric, and color and giving them freedom on the style may be a good way to go.  David's, J Crew, Ann Taylor, and a number of other comaies will do this.  Keep in mind what one of my two maids of honor said to me - "I would wear a burlap sack to your wedding if you told me to....just tell me what to wear and I will show up in it!"  Ultimately, I asked my girls for some suggestions and we came up with the final dress together.  See what your girls have in mind and work from there :)
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd pick a designer and fabric and go from there. I know like Alfred Angelo (who I chose) you could get those dresses at a ton of bridal stores all over the place, so they would just go to a local bridal store that sells AA, pick a dress, tell them the color and get measured there. Davids bridal you could do the same thing, or almost any other bridal designer that you'd like. There are quite a few that have many different dresses for the girls to chose where they would still be comfortable. 
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I picked a designer, color, length and fabric and asked them to pick their dress.  I wasn't going to be specific about the length, but they all wanted more guidelines as to make sure they weren't going to stick out or be too different from the others ...  I found that they wanted more direction b/c they didn't want to choose too much.  We actually all (except for 2 bms) went out together to David's Bridal one afternoon and we shopped together.  2 of them wound up buying the same dress, my MOH got a long dress while the others all got short.  It was fun and nice for me to see it all together in the store.  It made for a really fun afternoon and then afterwards, my mom treated us to lunch at Bertucci's.  It was a great day.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Play getawayPlay getaway member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
       Thanks guys!
    do you think that their dress should be a matte satin since mine is mostly satin?  I don't want to be too matchy but feel like it should be similar since it's a wedding, i dont really know how that works.
    I want them to get black dresses so they can wear them again and let them pick what they want so they're comfortable, i really don't care/know what to choose for that.

Stacy: you had me at Bertucci's  :)  I dont live there but we go there almost everytime we visit Laughing yum!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My personal opinion is I really like satin because of the way it photographs. I am having my girls pick their own style dress from the same designer that is satin and floor length in my color. I like the idea of the mix-up and it makes everyone feel comfortable.

Heather:

I just saw your countdown for the Disney Dream...I love it! That is my honeymoon this October. I am so excited and your countdown just made it more exciting! I need to get one of those!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards