Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Gel Nails

A few of us were talking about gel nail polish the last few days and well... i went and got it done last night. Here are my thoughts:

It takes FOREVER! granted they are dry as soon as you get out from under the UV but it took a long long time.  I went for a mani/pedi and after 2 hours and 15 minutes i was finally done... BUT we didn't do the manicure extras (hot towel, hand massage, etc) becuase it was 8 pm and FI was waiting at home for me!

They look great. I got a dark red and they look really nice. A woman asked me if my nails were fake (although I get that a lot because they are naturally very thick) ... i've learned there are two types of gel you can get... a full gel polish where the base coat, color, and top coat are all gel or a a regular manicure with a gel top coat... i got the full gel but may try the other type to compare

I cannot comment on chipping yet. There is definitely none yet. and she told me it should last at least 2 weeks. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Gel Nails

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!!  Was it expensive? Is there a cost difference between the full gell and the mani/gel?

I get really impatient at the nail salon, I hate being there forever.

Keep us updated!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    PhillyGal34PhillyGal34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It was $13 extra for the gel (full) polish.  The salon I went to didn't do just the topcoat gel but at another salon I saw they do it for $5 or $7 more. 

I get really impatient waiting for them to dry so it was good for that... AND i always manage to knick them before i even get to my car so that didn't happen which was nice!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for this post! I am thinking about trying out the top coat this weekend...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I  did the full gel nails for years - I always did a french manicure and those puppies would last 3 weeks and still look good.  Very rarely did I ever chip one...and I'm a brute on my nails.  I had to get them taken off in Jan (long story short - nail salons in MD stank out loud and no one did them the way they do at my place in NJ) but I'm getting them put back on next weekend.  They do take FOREVER sometimes but the last a long time and hold up really well. 
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    pharmjen did you get nail extensions? I didn't even get tips or anytihng on, just the gel on my natural nails for color and it took over an hour and a half! i cannot imagine how long it takes to get extensions!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So when I go next weekend to get them done, they are going to have to put tips on to make them a little longer bc my nails are so short.  After getting the gel nails taken off, they are so brittle and I have to keep them super short.  The 1st time is always the longest - fills are faster but I'm still in there for an hour for a fill.  It became such a PITA to waste so much time in the nail salon and now I like not having them...but of course now I'm  having them put back on for the wedding and will go through this all over again in a few months when I want them off.  Oy.    
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah i dont know if i can justify 2 hours in the nail salon when i am making my nails shorter than when i go in!!!!! i asked the lady to make them as short as she could before she painted them haha

however, a few days after i got them done they still look as good as new!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards