Colorado-Denver
Options

Having a family friend marry us?

Is this possible in CO? I asked a family friend if he would be interested in marrying us and he said he would think about it. He called me the other day to say he researched it and called several counties and was told he cant marry us.

I thought he could get ordained online and be able to solemnize our marriage.....does anyone have more information or feedback regarding this?

TIA

Re: Having a family friend marry us?

• Options
    JessieR933JessieR933 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, anyone in Colorado can marry you.  I am not sure what the process is though.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ceremony: A marriage may be solemnized by a judge of a court of record, a public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages, or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by any religious denomination or Indian nation or tribe. As of August 1993, a couple themselves can solemnize their own marriage.

Officiants: Couples themselves may solemnize their own marriage (C.R.S 14-2-109). 
    They must apply for paper work from the County Courthouse in order to do this. 
    However, friends or relatives can not solemnize their marriage. Out-of-state Clergy 
    need not be registered in Colorado.Solemnizing a Marriage: Couples themselves may solemnize their own marriage (perform one's own marriage ceremony). According to Colorado Revised Statute 14-2-109, a marriage may be solemnized by a judge of a court; by a court magistrate; by a retired judge of the court; by a public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages; by Indian tribe officials; by clergy; by the parties to the marriage. If you wish to solemnize your own marriage, you will be responsible for acquiring, completing and returning the license to marry to the appropriate county Office of the Clerk and Recorder. marriage rules:http://colorado.usmarriagelaws.com/
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Sakana - I have been reading that online for the past few days and where i get confused is in this sentence from the Ceremony paragraph you posted:

..."or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by any religious denomination or Indian nation or tribe."

By getting ordained online this person is recognized by that religious denomination so couldn't they solemnize the marriage? Am i not reading it quite right?

Thanks for the help!

• Options
    edited December 2011

We are having a friend get ordained online, he is doing all the research but If it doesn't pan out and he cannot become "recognized by any religious domination" which is pretty broad, we are going to marry ourselves on wedding certificate and have him preside over the ceremony just instead of him pronouncing us man and wife, we would say that in our vows.  Thats our back up plan.  There is no reason you couldn't marry yourselves with a famliy friend helping to speak at and announce the ceremony. 

But I wonder if your friend is right or just uninterested, I have been to three wedding in the last three years where a friend in CO got ordained and did the wedding.  LIke I said our "officiant" is doing the research. 

Keep me posted though.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    technically, you don't need an officiant to get married in colorado-you really can just do it your self

and no, it doesn't matter who officiats you either-it can just be anyone!

as long as you sign, seal, deliver the license, you are married in the eyes of the state

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would just have your friend officiate and then solemnize it yourself. That we all know is legal so you don't have to worry about if he counts. If you solemnize it yourself then you can have bobo the clown officiate for all the state cares.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is what im leaning towards :)

Thanks for the response @hisLilSassa
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards