Colorado-Denver

how far is too far?

FI and I found a venue we like. It's beautiful and very affordable - which helps a TON because we are on a budget. The only down side is it's an hour and fifteen minutes from where all of our families live (We are all in Lakewood and it's close to Colorado Springs). Is that too far to ask them to drive? We would be having the reception and ceremony there.

Re: how far is too far?

• Cynth0104Cynth0104 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think so. Especially if the ceremony and reception are both there.  You would probably have more people staying overnight though. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • KariMichaelKariMichael member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think so. It makes it more of an occasion because people have to leave "home" and make an overnight out of it. OR it is close enough that peope could go home. We were 90 minutes away and only about 15 people left after dinner, everyone else just booked a room and enjoyed the night away.
  • cadenaamcadenaam member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that's just fine.  It makes it a little more special that it's probably not somewhere that all your guests see everyday too.  I would make a trip out of it and stay over night and enjoy Colorado Springs if it were me.  And if they don't want to do that, an hour and a half isn't too far to drive twice in one day.  Especially if both your venue and your ceremony are there.
  • skiingstarkskiingstark member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I think it is fine cause most people are use to traveling a 1 1/2 to 2 hours to go to the mountains. Also to save money most people would understand with today's economy.
  • Jade0085Jade0085 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! That helps a lot. I am always worried about upsetting people and I need to let go of that. We are driving to Estes in November for my FI's sister's wedding and no one seems to complain about that.  
  • LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't say it's too far.  What's your venue??
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    That's not too bad and it's a fairly easy drive on the highway. Is your wedding during the day or evening? If during the day, then it's no issue at all. People can celebrate and not endure a long, tiring drive. If in the evening, just be sure to provide a room block or other leads on lodging so people can crash close by after drinking and partying.
    68 Looking Forward to Mtn Airimage
    31 Afraid of Altitude Sicknessimage
    4 Being Hunted By My Bounty Hunter Bridesmaid image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2010 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Location imageimage{Bio} (updated 3/2)
  • edited December 2011
    I say go for it, but then again I'm partial to the Springs. :o) If you need any leads down here, let me know!
  • LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Me too - I'm in the Springs.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's Cathedral Pines we are thinking of using.Thanks Ladies!
  • edited December 2011
    We got married at Cathedral Pines and about half of our guests were from Denver. We blocked rooms for super cheap and it wasnt a big deal at all.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got the idea for the venue from Layla1704! I saw that she was on a similar budget to ours and had a beautiful venue. 
  • edited December 2011
    Cathedral Pines is gorgeous, and Black Forest is such a cute area!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards