Colorado-Denver
Options

Families & Religion!

This is the situation: my fiance is Catholic, I am not. His mother really wants us to go through the Marriage prep and would love for us to get married in the church. She's not pushing it, but we both know she would prefer it. My parents, on the other hand, are not too excited about a Catholic Ceremony. Has anyone been in a similar situation? If so, how did you go about deciding on your ceremony?Thanks in advanced for all your input!

Re: Families & Religion!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My husband and I had exactly the same situation. We had the ceremony that we wanted (ended up being a Catholic ceremony without mass). Our parents came around. His parents were a little upset that it wasn't a mass, my parents were a little wary of a church service, but in the end, it was lovely and everyone enjoyed it.
  • Options
    kjyoung9kjyoung9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my girlfriend had a similar situation last year...although they were both catholic, her FI's family wanted it in the church and she wanted it in a florist's shop.  they chose to have a very tiny wedding in the church the night before (after the rehearsal dinner) - just my friend, her FI, both sets of parents and siblings, and me (MOH) and the BM.  the family was happy b/c it was "in the church."  not sure if it is really an option for you...
    Kelly & Kevin, Denver, CO 10.22.10

MyBio

Photobucket

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You're going find that you can't have the wedding that everyone else wants for you, because you can't please everyone. Unfortunately weddings seem to bring out the crazy in family. My best advice would be to figure out what is important to you and your FI. If you don't end up going with the church marriage, perhaps you can ask your FMIL for help in another area (picking flowers, helping with the menu, etc.). GL!
  • Options
    amberlyroseamberlyrose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Being a Catholic, I know that we are kinda crazy when it comes to sacraments. First, remember that it is also your FI's wedding too, and if you don't mind having a church wedding and he really feels like its necessary, then I suggest you go with the church wedding. If its all your FMIL's idea, then it really needs to be between you and FI. If he ends up wanting a Catholic mass later (guilt trip, conscious, etc) then its a simple and easy process that the Church won't have a problem with you being married already.
    puppies-1

Anniversary
  • Options
    canary11canary11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not catholic, but my fiance is. In the beginning of our relationship, he told me that it was important to him to be married in the church. Not being "loyal" to any other type of church, I complied. In the end it has actually brought us closer and has meant more than I ever could have imagined. However, I know that this is not how it is for everyone. My family is not catholic, so I have had to explain a few things (like that they don't worship Mary, etc), which is awkward at times. So, I understand that. Luckily, they're just happy that I have started going to church again. On the other hand, you have made an adult decision to get married. Make yourself happy first. It looks like you're not going to be able to make everyone happy. In your situation, compromise is going to be a difficult task. I think you need to be concerned with what YOU want. I hope you guys can figure this out! Keep us updated!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards