Colorado-Denver

DIY Flowers

hello again! thanks everyone for your feedback on previous posts. it is so helpful to connect with all of you!we are seriously considering doing our own flowers for the wedding (centerpieces, bouquets, etc). Has anyone had experience with this and would you recommend it? we are getting married in the mountains and the prices for florists are higher than what we can spend.Any tips or suggestions you can share when considering this? We have looked into Fifty Flowers and Whole Blossoms as the wholesalers. thanks in advance for feedback!

Re: DIY Flowers

• VAtoCOVAtoCO member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If she doesn't post here, page Mandy (Mandalay is part of her screen name but I don't know the rest!)....I'm pretty sure she DIY'ed with Fifty Flowers.I don't have any other advice, though.  Sorry!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    I did all my own flowers: bouquets, boutonnieres, and centerpieces. I was having the same problem with pricing since we got married in Vail. 1 place would deliver to my hotel the morning of if we placed a minimum order of $5,000 on flowers. Sorry, not happening! I ordered the bouquet flowers through Fifty Flowers and have nothing but great things to say about them. Their customer service is great, the flowers were awesome and everyone raved about how great they looked. To me, it was much more cost effective. I wanted peonies but they weren't in season for me and I wasn't willing to pay the $30 per stem price I was quoted from a local place. So I got peony roses, which are a type of garden rose and looked just like them but sooo much cheaper. I used dried orchids for the boutonnieres...got them off saveoncrafts.com. Paired them with gold tipped leaves from Michaels. They looked great! Centerpieces were lemons, tiny yellow silk flowers from Michaels and red mini cattail things. Not our colors but I liked them! It was a lot of work but I'd organized it in a way that really didn't have me stressing at all. I had the flowers delivered 2 days before the wedding, kept them in buckets of water until the night before and arranged them into bouquets the night before and kept them in water until we left for the ceremony. We did the centerpieces the night before as well. I did the boutonnieres beforehand since they were dried flowers and wouldn't wilt. If you plan out how and what you want to do, it's not that difficult and can be done really easily. I practiced bouquets with flowers from Target months before. Doing all that stuff myself didn't give me any added stress at all. I have pictures of all the stuff I did in my bio if you're curious as to how things looked. I don't think any of it looked ghetto at all! ;) GL and let me know if you need any tips/pointers...I'd be happy to help!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for your response! so helpful. your pics are absolutely beautiful and the flowers look like they turned out great!! very nice. it does seem like a much more cost friendly option. almost all florists i have talked to have pretty hefty delivery fees! no thanks! i am thinking about doing the same thing (doing all the bouquets, boutonnieres and centerpieces). I have an aunt who used to own her own flower shop that has offered to help to make it less stressful. she said as long as the flowers come uncut from the wholesaler, it shouldn't be too hard to put together...we'll see! I was a little concerned initially about them showing up 2 days before, but as long as they still look good the day of, I think I'm going to go for it. We already purchased our vases too (hollowed out aspen logs that are actually ceramic), so we are building off of those. I think the hardest part for me will be deciding what type(s) of flowers I want! I appreciate the feedback and the offer to help! I may take you up on that, if you don't mind, when we get a little closer to the wedding (july)...thanks again :)
  • edited December 2011
    If you go with Fifty Flowers, they give you very detailed instructions on prepping them after delivery. There wasn't 1 single flower that needed to be tossed. They packed them so well and they do arrive uncut. The boxes were about 4 feet long each!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    great! thanks again! :)
  • amandi34amandi34 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Costco does bulk flowers as well. They also have corsage/boutonnier packages. I haven't seen them, I'm considering this for my wedding too!
  • edited December 2011
    Wondering how your DIY flowers turned out?  Did you go with Whole Blossoms or Fifty Flowers?  I'm getting married this June and am considering using Whole Blossoms b/c they are offering a larger variety...but I'm nervous about the whole online ordering of flowers...

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards