Colorado-Denver
Options

Name Change Chronicles: Part II - Driver's License

This is part two in my adventures in changing my name: So if you read the post from last week (which was more of my rant against the social security office), I learned name changing can be less than fun. So, with my last experience in mind, I headed to the Colorado Driver's License office. I decided to arrive as early as I could before opening to increase my chances of getting in and out quickly. The CDL opens at 8am, I arrived at 7:40 and was the 13th person in line. Lucky for me, everything went very quickly and my number was called after only 15 minutes of waiting. I provided my old license and my certified copy of my marriage license and completed the usual steps (vision test, questions). It was all very easy and before I knew it, they snapped a new picture, I paid my $21.00 (new licenses are $21.00) and was out the door by 8:30 am. So far, this has been the easiest part. My advice, get there early!
imageimage
Follow Me on Pinterest
I'm writing, you're reading, everyone's happy | Daring Greatly Blog.

Re: Name Change Chronicles: Part II - Driver's License

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks again for these posts Katie! I am one step behind you so they are really helpful. I just went to the SS office this afternoon with your last post in mind, and my wait was a little over an hour, just about what I was expecting. Is the CDL different from the DMV? I was just planning on going to the express DMV office on Parker rd...
  • Options
    chelbell326chelbell326 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jess- There are different types of DMVs & some do not do driver's licenses (I learned this the hard way when I went to the one off of Sheridan, got there early & then learned that they only do registrations there...no DLs). Double check before ya go! :) I ended up going to a CDL office off of University & County Line that was very easy/fast. :) Good Luck!
    no identifiable siggy pictures anymore, thanks a lot stupid nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey Jess, So glad these are helpful! I guess it depends. In Denver, the Denver Motor Vehicles office only takes care of vehicle registrations. The CDL (which is statewide) takes care of licensing. http://www.colorado.gov/revenue/dmv This website was very helpful in finding a location and hours. The one I had gone to before in Aurora in closed for renovations.
    imageimage
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    I'm writing, you're reading, everyone's happy | Daring Greatly Blog.
  • Options
    VAtoCOVAtoCO member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, just FYI, I called the Denver Drivers License office (on Mississippi) and they are closed the day after Thanksgiving for a state mandated furlough day.  I think all the offices are closed because of the mandated furlough day. (I was hoping to go that day!)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In El Paso County certain offices are furloughed every Friday, so check in advance about your location.  I went downtown CO Springs and was done in 15 minutes.  The nice thing is they let you keep the old one so you can prove both names during transition.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards