Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Kings Mills in Media, PA

Hi.  I just got engaged last week and am trying to put together a wedding on a budget.  We are going to look at Kings Mills in Media, PA.  The prices seem reasonable on the website.  Has anyone had their reception there?  Is the alcohol for an open bar included in the price per head?  If not can you tell me how much extra it was and if so can you tell me if the prices they have on their website are accurate?  Were there any additional costs besides the price per head.  Finally, would you recommend the facility?  Thanks for your help.

Re: Kings Mills in Media, PA

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The only standout info I've heard about King's Mill is that they have beautiful grounds for pictures (positive), but that they are generally inflexible with accommodating you and that the acoustics are terrible and you have to use their speaker/sound system (which a lot of DJ's are not willing to do).

• Options
    LadyBoopLadyBoop member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having my wedding at Kings Mills in May.  Alcohol is not included in the cost per head. However, they do have a service that, for no extra cost, will get all of the alcohol for you. They only charge you exactly what it cost at the liquor store. whatever you don't use, they return and give you the money back (if it wasn't opened), or you take it with you (if it's open).  It is true, though, that they do have very strict rules as far as their sound system, and things like that. They are very particular about how things are done, and for that reason, some of the bigger vendors (especially DJs) won't work there.  They also have a list of vendors that are not permitted in the facility, so you want to make sure you check that, too.  I've spoken to people who have been at events there, though, and said it was beautiful.  And the place, itself, is unique and beautiful. It doesn't require much extra decoration, which I love.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How are you determining how much alcohol to buy?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When I looked into their pricing, it felt like they realy nickel and dimed you for things, such that their seemingly good prices were actually not al that different in the end from venues that at first seemed much more expensive.  While I admit that I didn't look into them very far, I ended my contact with them after coming to that conclusion.  The space and grounds do seem beautiful, though, if you are willing to put up with their approach to things.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I tried to look here as an option for my wedding.  They were extremely inflexible about us coming to look at it and I was only in town for 2 days.

We went to look on our own, so I only saw the outside.  The outside was pretty, but there were not a whole lot of places to take photos. It was a long, narrow stretch next to the river, but not a whole lot of green and it was very close to the parking lot.  It was also really close to the road and you could hear all the traffic while outside.  If you're not have a ceremony outside, this wouldn't be an issue.  Then again, I'm not sure there was space to do a ceremony outside.

Depending on how quickly you are getting married, if your date is still available you may be able to get a discount at places (if you're doing it w/in the next 6-9 months).

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I remember one thing about meeting with the owner that my FI still teases me about.  He told us that he had this very expensive glassware that is really special because you can drop it but it doesn't break.  I totally was like, really?  Then later my FI said honey, they are just plastic!  LOL!!!! 

Seriously though some of the rooms had a lot of character but there was a vibe there I couldn't put my finger on that told me it wasn't right for me.  We did get free piece of cake during our visit whch was very good.  Looks like a great place for pics too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 235 invited so far!
    image 144 are ready to party!
    image 91 will be missing out!
    image 0 are MIA!
  • Options
    nancyrnancyr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

my daughter looked at it, there is an outdoor area along the river where they hold weddings if you are looking for that.  I've heard their appetizers are frozen out of a box and not too impressive but it all depends what you are looking for.  If you are looking for fancy gourmet food I'd say you want to try somewhere else, if you want a venue to have a fun reception in without breaking the bank and you can find a DJ you are happy with the rooms are pretty and have a lot of choice in sizes.  If anyone is going to look there be aware the office is up a long flight of steps which isn't a problem except that I use a cane and it had no handicapped access for the office (we were there a few years ago, it's possible that has changed.)  I think I have photos somewhere of it that aren't spectacular but show what it looks like during the winter if you'd like some let me know and I'll see if I can find them.  I don't remember what the cost per person was in the long run and since I'm sure it's changed since we were there I have no idea what it is now.  You might want to look into Catering by Lia for a place for a reception, they work out of two firehalls that were built just for receptions so they are very un-firehall looking.  We also check out Wm. Penn Inn which is up near Plymouth Mtg but not far on the Blue Rt.  They offered good deal especially if you want a winter wedding or off season. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards