Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Poll: Baby Names

I'm bored and have baby fever.  Plus Jen's poll made me think of this, and Preston and Steve did a whole thing on baby names today.

Have you and FI/DH discussed possible baby names if you're planning on having kids?

What are your favorite names?

What are names that FI likes that you hate?  Or vice versa?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Poll: Baby Names

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you and FI/DH discussed possible baby names if you're planning on having kids?
    We've discussed a little, but nothing serious. We do have a few names we both really like though.

I don't want to say what names are real candidates. But I do love the names Elena and Zachary.  We won't use them becuase we have to name kids after deceased relatives and there are no E or Z names to use.

FI always jokes that we're naming our future kid Ebeneezer.  I really love the name Micah, but when I floated it out to FI, he hated it.  Sad face.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We haven't talked about it a lot but he is Slovak and I think he wants some sort of Slovak name, I do not! I think it is great he's Slovak and all but having a strange name might get the kid made fun of.... might not but I don't want to take any chances. I have a feeling we will have a hard time coming up with a name.

ETA: I didn't do the poll the right way... I just answered. oops
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haven't even discussed names.  No kids for a few years!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_poll-baby-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:82c9151c-bc54-4886-91d4-a70c890f1ce3Post:74078b00-b2ae-425d-991f-05ef381a956f">Re: Poll: Baby Names</a>:
    [QUOTE]What are names that FI likes that you hate?  Or vice versa? FI always jokes that we're naming our future kid Ebeneezer.  I really love the name Micah, but when I floated it out to FI, he hated it.  Sad face.
    Posted by caraellen23[/QUOTE]

My friend's son is named Micah (father is Michael).  I heard his father say the name is still growing on him... their son is over a year old!  lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have. Nothing is set in stone except baby boy #1 (if there are multiples) would be names after FI.

There are a few names that I like. None of them are coming to mind right now!

I love Bobbi for a girl. FI shot it down as soon as I said it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_poll-baby-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:82c9151c-bc54-4886-91d4-a70c890f1ce3Post:74078b00-b2ae-425d-991f-05ef381a956f">Re: Poll: Baby Names</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't want to say what names are real candidates. But I do love the names Elena and Zachary.  <strong>We won't use them becuase we have to name kids after deceased relatives</strong> and there are no E or Z names to use.
    Posted by caraellen23[/QUOTE]

Please explain more about having to name children after deceased relatives. Is this a Jewish tradition? Does it have to be the name or just the first initial?

I like it when babies are names after grandparents etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DH wanted to name a baby after him .... I vetoed that. I love the name Chris, but really how many Chris's are there. He works with 5 right now. I wanted my child to be his name not have to be Chris B. his whole life.

We're probably doing C names, with a family name as middle names.

We are not having kids for a few years, though people ask me all the time when we are having them.

Philly Sig Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nicole - yeah, its Jewish tradition to name your kids after deceased relatives.  I think these days people mainly take the first letter and use that, rather than using the same name or similar sounding name.  I was named after my grandfather Carl and my great aunt Estelle.   Its kind of limiting, but its also a nice tradition, so we're happy to continue it.

Drink - every time I say a name to FI, he goes "oh I worked with someone named ____. Or I used to know someone named _____."  I finally had to tell him that he will most likely always know someone with the name and unless its a really, really strong bad association, it wasn't off the table.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    FI also said a girl name one time... but I said 'didnt you date a girl with that name?' WHY name your kid after an ex or whatever.... not normal. I vetoed that right away.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    B2B - my middle name is the same as my father's ex-fiancee from before he met my mother.  It came out when I was younger, I guess neither of my parents had realized it at the time.  FI and I agreed that we will not be naming kids the same as any exes!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cara - It's his name. I have mostly been the only one with my name, only once did I have a class with someone with my name, but she dropped it. I personally like something different. He has at least four good friends with the name and now 5 co-workers. In most of his classes there were two or three Chris's so I just don't want my kid to have to have his last initial used to distinguish him.

Philly Sig Challenge

For Sale

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it is a big responsibility to name a child though, it will be hard!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the name Julianna.  I used to love Bella before twilight came out and every new baby girl has that name. 

To expand on the deceased name thing, it's really supposed to be after their Hebrew name which usually starts with the same letter as their name.  I was named after my mom's uncle Bernie (my middle name is Blair).  His Hebrew name is Baruch and mine is Barucha which is the girl version.  It means blessing.  I'd be naming Julianna after my grandpop Jerry.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Once upon a time when I was little, "Hilary" was unique.  Then came along Hillary Clinton and Hillary Duff and all I heard for years was "Oh, Hilary, like Hillary             "  So freakin annoying! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Drink - that makes sense! Can you use Chris/Christopher as a middle name?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are planning Chase James (which is Chris's Middle Name)
    He wanted Chase Howard, but that was a little over kill with the Phillies.
    We aren't planning on telling anyone because I know my mom willl say that was a dog we had (for like a year)'s name, and then Chris won't like it anymore. But we both love the name.

Philly Sig Challenge

For Sale

• Options
    edited December 2011
    lol, Chase Howard might be a bit much.  I love that name, Chase James.  Very nice!  We decided we weren't telling our parents the names either.  I would be too upset if we picked a name and they didn't like it.  It would make me doubt it and want to change.  If we tell them after the baby arrives, they really can't say anything about it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you and FI/DH discussed possible baby names if you're planning on having kids? Yes, we actually have alot lately. We arent planning on having kids for 2-3 years but we have older married friends, so it's just common discussion.

What are your favorite names? We have 2 names for each sex, because we only want two children. Boys: Charles Dominic (Charlie is my FI's name, My grandfather's name is Dominic) & Gavin Joseph. Girls: Cassidy Marie (My middle name is Marie and I just want her to carry that on) & Camryn Rose.

What are names that FI likes that you hate?  Or vice versa? He hates the boy name Lucas, even though I love it (thanks to my 90210 and OTH days Luke Perry and Lucas Scott)  and he was hestiate with Camryn.. because he said he thinks its a boy name because of "Cameron" from Ferris Bueller's Day off. But he agreed to it :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I was never the only Nicole in school. Every part time job at one point or anotherr has had another Nicole. My moms youngest brother also married a Nicole.

But I think if I named my daughter Nicole 20+ years later she would be unique.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I also think your hypothetical son will have a few other kids names Chase in his class because it has become a popular name.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cara - my grandmother's name is Estelle and my sister always shotgunned that name for her future daughter... that is until she started dating someone with a last name that rhymes with Estelle.  Too bad my sister's name, Michelle, does too. HA! 

Have you and FI/DH discussed possible baby names if you're planning on having kids? Sometimes, but not in any sort of serious discussion.  We definitely have a few years before this becomes a discussion that means something!

What are your favorite names? If we have a boy, he will be named John the fifth, after my fiance. Pretty cool to be passed down that many generations, IMO.  I feel pressure to have boys to carry on the name!  I also always loved Henry, Max and Jackson (too bad this was already taken by a male cousin with the same last name) for a boy.  I like Drew for a girl - ever since Drew Barrymore was in ET and everyone swore we looked identical.  I don't like really feminine names. 

What are names that FI likes that you hate?  Or vice versa? He doesn't really have any opinions on names.  I'm sure he will once I'm knocked up!
  • Options
    Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For the boy - Harry Jacoby but we'll call him Coby. FI likes the name Harry but I hate it when people say Harry and 5 people say what? (His grandfather, dad and him are all Harrys). So we'll call him Coby and when he gets older he can use Harry for his professional name if he chooses.

For the girl - Kaylee Elizabeth. :) I picked that when I was bored in high school hahaha. I love it though, it flows nicely.

Names we don't like: hmmm...for me I don't like girls names where they have not so nice nicknames. For example, I love Danielle, but I don't like Dani.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My sisters name is Kaylee :)
  • Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I heard the Preston and Steve thing too! ;)

We dont plan of having kids for 4-5 years so I'm sure I'd change my mind a million times. The only thing I know is the middle names: Ann for a girl (my mom and my middle name) and Richard for a boy (which is my dad's name)

I wanted Grace, but FI's last name starts with a G and it doesn't sound right together :(   And then her initials would be GAG and kids can be cruel  haha
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I have you all beat - I'm a Jennifer!  In 4th grade, there were 4 of us in 1 class of 30 kids.  At times it was annoying and I stopped responding when people called my name because there was a good change I wasn't the Jennifer they were calling.  Even dealing with it myself, I don't think it would stop me from choosing a popular name for my baby if I really like it.

Have you and FI/DH discussed possible baby names if you're planning on having kids? We have discussed names at length, knowing this will be a huge point of contention once I actually get pregnant.  (We'll visit the subject next summer.)  I'd rather hash out a few names now and not spend 9 months arguing over a name = )

Grayson, Harrison, Jackson for boys; Ella, Eva, Emery for girls 

What are names that FI likes that you hate?  Or vice versa? Most of them!!  We rarely agree which is why I pretty much feel like our children are already named...at least the 1st boy and girl are!
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_poll-baby-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:82c9151c-bc54-4886-91d4-a70c890f1ce3Post:79f6773f-c86d-475d-9614-69c631e77e3d">Re: Poll: Baby Names</a>:
    [QUOTE]What are your favorite names?  Grayson, Harrison, Jackson for boys;
    Posted by PharmJen[/QUOTE]

I LOVE Harris/Harrison!  FI wasn't too keen on it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOOOOOVe Harrison also. Henry, Harry, Harrison... all of them!

Pharm, in 1983, the year I was born, your name was most popular and mine was second (Jessica).  You can tell how popular Jess is by the number of them on TK!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My brother (who is 21) played sports with a Harrison and I thought it was so cool.  Only prob is, it's one of our friends last names!  DH said he likes it and doesn't care - he said you have to draw the line somewhere but you can't be too strict or else all the names you like will be gone because someone's 2nd cousin named their kid your fav name!  LOL!  (I find this theory true with naming a dog too!)

He has been pushing Grayson on me since before we were even engaged.  I don't think it's as cool as Harrison though.  There's a fine line between what mom and dad think is cool and what the kids in school think is cool!  Like B2B said above, naming a child is a big responsibilty!

Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    dch167dch167 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want Holden for a boy ( which will be my maiden name by then) and Eliana for a girl, Elli for short. My grandmother's name is Eliane.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Confession: We went to Border's and bought the biggest baby name book we could find.  We have been working thru it, highlighting names that we both like.

Have you and FI/DH discussed possible baby names if you're planning on having kids? yes, and we have decided on one for a boy and one for a girl, so we have the first child covered; still don't know what to do when we have the second one and it's the same sex as the first!

What are your favorite names? We have Emma Grace for the girl, James Patrick for a boy. 
    James was my grandfather's name (he died in 2008), and Patrick is the name of our current pastor, who was also my youth group advisor (after my parents split, him and his wife took me and my sister under their wing, and he was pretty much the father figure in our life, since my dad was never around). 
    We also like Olivia, Amelia, and Caroline for a girl; boys names are a little more tough.  We also like middle names that tie back to our faith, like Faith, Grace, Joy, etc.  We also have agreed that our second girl (if we have one) we will try to incorporate the name Ann as a middle name; in my family on my mom's side, Ann has been used as a middle name in every generation back to 1752 and most likely further.

He loves all the typical names that I can't stand, like Samantha, Sean/Shawn, and Aurora; he tends to go for the more "popular names".  In reverse, I love all the older names, like Amelia, Olivia, and the like.  Most of them he is fine with, but there are some I like, (Edith and call her Eddy) that he just can't stand.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards