Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

photographer's cards at dinner?

I just booked my photographer and I really like him.  However, his custom is to ask the maid of honor and best man to hand out his card to our guests during dinner.  The card will state how our guests can view our pics on line.  But, I'm concerned that it will be a little tacky to bother our guests while they are eating and not fair to the MOH/BM to ask them to do this during their dinner.  How did your photographer handle this?

Re: photographer's cards at dinner?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of this, to be honest. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My photog did not as any such thing of us. And if someone wants to know where the pics are, or who the photog is, YOU Can tell them yourself.
  • Options
    CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yea my photographer isn't doing this.

At the latest wedding I was at the photographer came around and left papers at our table for us to sign up on if we wanted to know when the photos were posted and they would send the gallery link and password.

I signed up under peer pressure but really if someone wants to know how to view your photos or whatever they'll do it
    image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • Options
    angel33284angel33284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cheesy. Tell him you want a discount for allowing him to advertise at your wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If he really wants the guests to have the info on how to acess the pictures you can send it in the thank you notes. I would not hand these cards out at the wedding. Just tell him no. You are the customer. Is it in the contract? If not, insist that he does not do it. And if he insists just tell the MOH & BM to throw them in the trash.

FWIW - none of my vendors have asked to advertise at my wedding. I find it unprofessional and would probably choose not to work with someone who insisted on it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Options
    Lauren0409Lauren0409 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This sounds really odd to me.  Why can't you let your guests know in a more subtle way?? I would include a little note in my thank you notes letting guests know where they can view the pics.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree. I met with a photog that wanted to leave their card on the tables for the guests and I thought it was strange. It's just a way for them to advertise themselves. Someone else suggested maybe putting the cards in guests welcome bags - or maybe you sit them somewhere and guests can pick them up at their will (after the reception, at the hotel.) Having the MOH and BM pass them out is tacky in my opinion.

My photographer posts a link w/pictures on their blog. They also provide us with a link to their online store/slideshow and we are able to share with friends as we wish. This also allows friends to purchase any pictures if they'd like to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds really tacky to me.  I don't mind if they leave cards out at the DJ's table, but to hand them out is not right.
  • Options
    lauren123455lauren123455 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If he really wants to do this, maybe you could ask him to make a photo strip (like the one that comes from a photo booth) including a few of your favorite engagement pics with his logo and info about finding the photos from your wedding.  And leave them at each seat in advance or stacked somewhere --- I wouldn't want to be botehred during dinner.

A friend of mine (who actually used my photog) did the photo strip thing....although I'm pretty sure it was her idea/her favor, since the photog hasn't mentioned anything to me about such a thing. 

If he wants to advertise, another thing could be to ask him if he'd be willing to set up a monitor with a slideshow from the wedding day and engagement session.  My photog does this and I'm sure its primarily for his advertising, but I think it's really neat to be able to see the photos at the wedding.  I've been to a few weddings that have the slideshow and have really enjoyed being able to see the professional shots so quickly. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding recently and I really wish I had gotten the photgrapher AND videographer's info so that I could stalk their blog .But sending the info in TY cards is a good idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Priya310Priya310 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my photgrapher makes little cards with our one of our engagement pictures on them and places it at each place setting.  i actually thought it was a cute idea...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i have been to weddings where there are photo cards on the table.  I rarely take them.  But I have never heard of the MOH/BM handing them out.  That, I think, is crossing the line.  If he wants to put them on the table, that's one thing... but putting YOUR BRIDAL PARTY to work is unprofessional. 
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    angel33284angel33284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tell him you'll allow it if the information is in the form of a photograph from the engagement session that is quality enough for the guests to frame, and doesn't include his name or watermark on the front. The info will be on the back.

• Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This just seems slimy. I understand you wedding is a business opportunity for him, but to ask you to put your MOH and BM to work is terrible. I would just tell him no. If you want, put the cards in with your thank you cards, but definitely don't hand them out this way.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Get a new photog.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_photographers-cards-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:84ceb88b-368b-46fb-a1b6-b1214724748bPost:4fde8b23-89a9-47c3-a78d-c503596b159e">Re: photographer's cards at dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]my photgrapher makes little cards with our one of our engagement pictures on them and places it at each place setting.  i actually thought it was a cute idea...
    Posted by Priya310[/QUOTE]

I'm a photographer and know a lot of photographers who do this (including myself). I don't put them at place setting but at a table with a same day slideshow (if i'm doing one) or by the exit.  It really is meant for people who want to see pictures from the wedding.  I would NEVER ask the MOH or BM or anyone else to participate.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_photographers-cards-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:84ceb88b-368b-46fb-a1b6-b1214724748bPost:a17afbf7-5f9a-463d-827b-e624312adc48">Re: photographer's cards at dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Get a new photog.
    Posted by NCV2[/QUOTE]

haha- agreed. That's super tacky. Usually the photographer has you give him a list of everyone's email addresses, so after the wedding when the pics are about to go up on the hosting site, he emails them with the information. Or, you tell everyone like bride2be stated.

Your wedding isn't a place for free advertising...it is your wedding day!!
    Braxton & Lizzie 10.9.10 Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards