Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Ceremony decor

Alrighty, so I'm trying to decide what to do for decorating for my ceremony. We're having a church wedding. I was wondering a lot of times you see flowers/big bows or such on the end of the pews. What dose everyone think of this or did you do anything like this for your own wedding? I'm a pretty simple girl and was really leaning towards not having anything to decorate the church with, but my mom really thinks I should at least have some flowers up front. I don't know.... I just figured you girls would have some good useful tips and ideas. Thanks! =)

Re: Ceremony decor

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am of a similar mentality as you... I like simple, clean lines, etc.  And the church where our ceremony is going to be is absolutely gorgeous, and I really didn't want to take away the beauty of the church by adding all these flowers.  Plus, flowers weren't really an important part of my budget. 

That being said, I have two floral arrangements that are going to be on the altar, and that's it.  I might have a pew marker for the first row for immediate family that's not in the wedding party.  I think having SOMETHING is nice, but you certainly don't have to turn the church into a greenhouse.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We kept ours super simple. Partially for budget reasons and partially because we didn't think it was all that necessary. We had 2 arrangements (done by our florist) on the altar and my mom tied a few white pew bows on the first few pews.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had candle type pillars and also swags of Christmas greens. I don't have a great picture but you can see here.

Then we had flowers and poinsettia trees on the alter.

I don't think that they are necessary but I do think they look nice :)
  • Options
    ev4149ev4149 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You may also want to check your church's rules.  We are limited to two floral pieces on the altar only, and they can only be a certain size.  We are not permitted to have bows or other decor.

However, we're not doing any decor for our wedding.  We're getting married the Saturday after Easter, so there will already be a ton of Easter lilies on the altar.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I was thinking of doing
    1. A batch of three roses in a paper cone every other pew
    or
    2. Pomanders in every other pew

both ideas would be hung by a ribbon....i'd put them on 5 rows max and planning on going DIY.  I guess it would depend how much time I had.  I am also leaning towards not having any decor at the church since it's already pretty ornate.

• Options
    dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

We didn't put anything on the ends of our pews.  I didn't think they were necessary and I didn't want to have to deal with them.  We did however have two small arrangements at the altar.  Our church allowed us to take them with us (not all do) but we forgot them :(

• Options
    edited December 2011

Our church has poinsettias up front donated every year, so we're just going to donate enough $ for a few of them up front. There's also a christmas tree up front, and they put candle holders at the end of every 3rd pew (kinda like nicoles) but they're just plain black. We're sticking with what they've already decorated with.

Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    paprika - will your church be decorated that weekend? They don't decorate our church until the week after :( I would have loved if it was already decorated for Christmas.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yup. They start putting the poinsettias & Christmas trees out for advent... I believe they put the candles on the pews around then too. My grandfather is one of the elders there, (our family has been going there since the late 60's) and will probably put the candles up if I mention them.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's awesome.
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    2 alter pieces and every other row of seats will have an arrangement (it's included in our package).  Weather permitting - it'll be outside so really don't need much. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For the 2 alter arrangements, we used potted mums.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    flyersgirl436flyersgirl436 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     Potted mums!!! I love it!! What a great idea. Really all the ideas have been great! Thank you all, I knew you girls would help me out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards