April 2012 Weddings
Options

WWYD?

I always thought I'd deal with things like this easier than I really ever do...

Ok so this is complicated. My mom (not in my life) has 2 half sisters. Same mom, different dad. So this makes them technically my half aunts, but who says that?

So my half aunt asked me today if her sister from HER dad's previous relationship could come. So this is my mom's step sister. I have never met this woman. We are friends on FB, but chat rarely. My aunt is coming from OOT, but already has her daughter coming with her, so it's not like she is coming alone versus with a date. She will have her daughter (my cousin) either way. 

It's only one person, but my concerns are a) we have never met b) another mouth to feed c) another mouth for FMIL to feed d) other family on her side not being invited and being upset.

What would you do? 
April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**

Re: WWYD?

• Options
    I would probably tell her that final counts have already been submitted.  On the other hand if you have never met her, does she know anyone else besides her daughter that will be there?  It may be awkward for her and her daughter if they only know each other out of all the guests.
  • Options
    Nevermind. I just shut the whole thing down. She asked to bring her husband and kids, along with one of her OTHER sisters from her dad's previous relationship. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:483d28da-6647-4368-bfba-63c4cdb94b7bPost:0d064da7-7333-4719-9c23-c6630b630820">Re: WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would probably tell her that final counts have already been submitted.  On the other hand if you have never met her, does she know anyone else besides her daughter that will be there?  It may be awkward for her and her daughter if they only know each other out of all the guests.
    Posted by norman74[/QUOTE]

<div>No, my other half aunt will be there with her husband and kids, along with my grandma (my aunt's mom) and grandpa (my aunt's dad, technically my stepgrandpa). </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:483d28da-6647-4368-bfba-63c4cdb94b7bPost:117bb3ad-914d-430a-8a2d-c0dfc7c2e5a4">Re: WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nevermind. I just shut the whole thing down. She asked to bring her husband and kids, along with one of her OTHER sisters from her dad's previous relationship. 
    Posted by em01092[/QUOTE]

<div>Wow.. so, yeah. Glad you shut that down. </div>
    April 2012 Feb. Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon: Excellence, Dominican Republic Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:483d28da-6647-4368-bfba-63c4cdb94b7bPost:abb4d83f-4aee-472b-af39-b506ea5a0ed1">Re: WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WWYD? : Wow.. so, yeah. Glad you shut that down. 
    Posted by leffing[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, it was harder for me to object to one more person, but once she started talking about adding on extras, I was like nooooppppeee. Game over. </div><div>
    </div><div>I think they mean well. They just wanted to be there for us (a little odd to me, since we have yet to meet...) and wanted to get to know me. Also, my aunt has never had a "big" wedding. She has been married twice, both times eloping/having a JOP. I don't think she really gets how expensive weddings are. I told her that we did not budget for so many extras, and she said "They just want to come to the ceremony." And I'm like, yeah but they need to be FED and hosted properly at the reception! It's rude to not invite people to the reception. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:483d28da-6647-4368-bfba-63c4cdb94b7bPost:d07d6285-cf77-4017-97a5-161ef052b797">Re: WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WWYD? : Yeah, it was harder for me to object to one more person, but once she started talking about adding on extras, I was like nooooppppeee. Game over.  I think they mean well. They just wanted to be there for us (a little odd to me, since we have yet to meet...) and wanted to get to know me. Also, my aunt has never had a "big" wedding. She has been married twice, both times eloping/having a JOP. I don't think she really gets how expensive weddings are. I told her that we did not budget for so many extras, and she said "They just want to come to the ceremony." And I'm like, yeah but they need to be FED and hosted properly at the reception! It's rude to not invite people to the reception. 
    Posted by em01092[/QUOTE]
    People don't get it. I was honestly shocked at the number of people who just don't get it.
  • Options
    Good for you to shut it down.  Adding one person is one thing but then to keep adding...just ridiculous.
  • Options
    Good for you...wow - I agree, so many people just don't understand all thats involved.  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards