July 2012 Weddings
Options

When to buy wedding dress?

Hi, 
I'm new to this board. I have a question about when I should get my wedding dress. 

I was first considering ordering online, but decided that may not be the best idea and that I'd like to try them on to make sure that I like the dress that I buy. 

Our wedding is July 28, 2012 and I thought I should probably start looking this month and hopefully find something. 

The only thing is that I think it would be nice to go dress shopping with my mom but she lives across the country and she's visiting the last week of March. Would I be waiting too long to go then?

So I guess my questions are ideally when should I buy my dress?
Should I go out this month and hopefully get something or wait until the end of March?
imageimage

Re: When to buy wedding dress?

• Options
    I'm planning on going to David's Bridal. I just wasn't sure how far in advance people went out to buy their dresses.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I would say the sooner the better.  If you are def planning on getting the dress from Davids I would say you can wait until March to go with your mom.  Normally they take about 6 weeks.  If you go elsewhere you may not have enough time to order a dress but i would just speak with the salon before.
  • Options
    If you're going with David's Bridal then March is plenty of time, don't stress out about it. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MadisonpennyMadisonpenny member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Don't forget you want a few weeks for alterations and the summer season is a busy time for alterations, so you'll need a min. of 3 weeks. and even that's cutting it close in case you need more done once the 1st alterations are done.
    I personally would not wait until the end of March. that's cutting it to close. What happens if you don't find "the dress" at David's bridal? every dress I was in love with in pictures, just didn't do it for me once I put them on.
    You may want to go out and at least try some dresses on so you can get a feel for what does and doesn't work for you.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options
    I agree with the other's going to David's Bridal's Bridal may be your best bet with the time you have.

191 Invited image 164 Are ready to party!! image 27 Are missing out image 0 Are making me wait imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would say go ASAP! But I don't really know the time line for David's Bridal. I got mine from Demetrios, and was told it would be about 6 months..it's already been about 4 and I'm still anxiously waiting!

Sometimes at DB you can purchase off the rack. They had a dress I liked on clearance, but I could only buy it off the rack and it was almost a size too small, so I kept looking and fell in love with a dress somewhere else (and three times the price lol) If you're not opposed to buying off the rack and you're close to the usual sample sizes (about a 10-12), you may have plenty of time. However, I would at least start looking asap because you never know how long it will take!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    I would go as soon as possible. Most places I contacted said it takes a minimum of 6 months to get them in. We're even cutting it close with our BM dresses and they aren't supposed to take as long. We have 2 weeks to get everyone fitted and ordered for them to come in with enough time for alterations.

I ended up finding my dress at local shop, but the price was kind of high. I looked on a lot of websites and finally found someone selling that dress on Weddingbee.com. I bought it from her and got within a week. That could always be an option for you if time becomes an issue.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_buy-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:8404527d-6f41-4c7c-811a-09c033420fbePost:8ea13a9d-224c-4c7f-9996-6f0f67dfc2b2">Re: When to buy wedding dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm planning on going to David's Bridal. I just wasn't sure how far in advance people went out to buy their dresses.
    Posted by blues28[/QUOTE]

I'd probably start looking in person right now.  DB has some online dresses as well and if you like one of those more, they will have to order it.

Usually the final alterations happen closer to the wedding date in case you change shape or it needed a tuck in anyway.
  • Options
    I would say start looking at dresses now.  At least get an idea of what looks good on you and is in your price range.  I think DB could do it in that time but I would definitely talk to them and see what they say.  Also for alterations many places take vacations and I know my seamstress is closed the week of the 4th of July.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I went in January - my dress will be in by the end of February - but I went to David's Bridal and am able to wear something pretty much right off the rack - won't need many alterations.

I was told by a few other stores, however, that I may not be able to even get a dress ordered in at their locations.

As someone else said, DB will sell things to you off the rack - with most of their sample sizes being a 10/12. I had the option of buying mine - but it was sooo dirty from people dragging it on the floor and such.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am getting my dress at David's Bridal and the associate who is helping me said wating until March to order it, even early April would be fine.  She did tell me to order my flower girl dresses sooner (this month) then my dress bc they take longer, especially since my 4 year olds dress will need to be altered.  I would say maybe start looking around a little and see what you like and what you dont like.   Then have your mom go with you to try on the ones you like the most and make you final decision then.  What I had in my head that I would like ended up to not be what I am going with at all.  Good luck! 
    :)AJ Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am not quiet sure. I bought my Dress from Alfred Angelo and it took 6 months to come in. I guess it all depends.

Goodluck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards