Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

WWYD?

My friend asked me to be her MOH.  I'm going to sound like a brat here but I CAN"T STAND the guy.  I'm realizing that I will have to make a speech and such but really have nothing nice at all to say about her FI.  I really wish she wouldn't go through with this but it's out of my hands.  Can someone please help me out with how to direct a MOH speech?  I don't feel comfortable making up nice things to say about him.  She is one of my best friends, like a sister to me but I don't know what to say to her FI in the speech.  Thanks.
Photobucket

Re: WWYD?

• Options
    amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would stick to a short general speech.... about how you know the bride is happy.  You don't have to talk about the groom really.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Short funny story about her past.  Toast to them.  Done.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Or you could opt out of the speech.
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

When I wrote my MOH speech, I looked up at what was "suppose" to be in it.  Seemed like it's really towards the bride.  I threw in how I knew the groom since first grade... but the rest was about the bride and how happy she was.  It wasn't long and at the end I just wished them the best.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's kind of what I was trying to get at.  I don't even know how to do that.  Whenever they're together, all they do is make out.  It's rather disgusting to the point that I can't even get DH to hang out with them.  It makes me feel uncomfortable too.  I'm not even sure if she's happy or just occupied.

Photobucket
  • Options
    FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yah, I'd mention how much she means to you, keep it short, maybe ask the FI to take good care of her since she is like a sister to you. Toast to the couple. End scene.
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd keep it on your friendship, laughs the two of you shared, then wish her many happy years. short, sweet, and leave the groom out of it. G/L.
  • Options
    Megaboo1116Megaboo1116 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the PP about saying to the FI to take good care of her since she's like a sister to you... definitely just keep it about the friendship and mention him "in passing" with that statement. G/L!
    Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    DianaM27DianaM27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also like the idea PP and Megaboo said about mentioning the FI only in passing as saying take care of her heart she's an amazing person, yada yada. And just focus on her and how much she means to you. I'm sure that's all she be listening for in the speech and then toast cheers to the new mr. and mrs. and raise that glass and tip it back...haha

I've been to a few weddings and the MOH/BM ususally just focus on the bride/groom and then give a cheers and I know many of those couples the MOH /BM loved the FI and thought the couple was awesome, and even they didn't mention the other person that much in their speeches.

But I can understand you're in a tough spot emotionally making a public speech about how great a couple you think they are, when that's not really how you feel
    One of my bridesmaids and I sitting poolside Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My two MoHs also kept their speeches mostly to their friendship with me - recounting their memories of when we all met in high school, fun times we had together, etc.  They did talk a lot about how much it meant to them to see me so happy after meeting Colin, how well we work together as a couple, and how happy they were for us.  But I don't think anyone would find it odd at all if you stuck mostly to your relationhsip with the bride in your speech or just declined to give a speech because you weren't comfortable with it.  B2B's MoH didn't speak at her wedding on Saturday and I think hardly anyone even noticed :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Something simple and about her.

"Bride is so awesome, this is why Bride is so amazing, this is why I love Bride, maybe here's a funny story about me and Bride, I can't believe Bride is tying the knot, Groom is a lucky guy and he better take care of her!"

You don't really need to mention him much at all.  Or, as PP suggested, opt out of the speech.  That's perfectly fine/normal.  If you don't think she'd be offended, I'd maybe skip it, but I hate speaking in public so that's just me.  

Good luck!
    Photobucket
    my read shelf:
    Noelwellin's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And oh yeah, my MOH (sister) didn't do a speech at my wedding..no one cared haha.
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't do one at my sisters wedding either.  My friend is expecting it though.  It would be weird if I didn't do one b/c she's so excited about it.  She has no idea that I don't like the guy.  I've tried so hard to like him, I just can't.

I guess I'll just make it about her like pp said.  I'll just leave him out of it til then end and just say something about how I wish them a life filled with happiness...
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards