Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Finally getting started for 5/3/13 Philly wedding planned from SF

Hi all,

I ran for local office on the November ballot (still awaiting results--about 500 votes behind with 75K ballots still to be counted!!), so I haven't done much planning. We got some of the big stuff booked: Valley Green Inn for the venue, City Tavern for the RD, and the DJ. We're talking to a couple photographers and are hoping to have that sealed soon. Now that the election is over I want to dig in to the planning, especially since we're planning from 3000 miles away (I grew up in Philly and we live in San Francisco). Since most of the guests are going to be traveling to Philly, and some for the first time, I am looking to block hotel rooms in Old City. I've gotten two hotels blocked so far and am thinking of doing a third in Chestnut Hill and/or near the airport for those who want to rent a car but don't want to pay for parking. Here are my next goals for the next month or so:

1. Research affordable shuttle options between Old City hotel and Valley Green Inn (open to suggestions!!)
2. Find a nonreligious officiant (JOP or judge perhaps?)
3. Finish wedding website (We're going to get e-shots in Philly when we come in in January, but I don't want to wait on professional pics to finish the website)
4. Pull the trigger on ordering the invites I designed on minted.com
5. Design my guest book idea on shutterfly
6. Try on some dresses so I know what styles are best for me, then order one on ebay. :-)
7. Talk to someone about flowers (any recommendations?)

Anything I'm missing?? Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Re: Finally getting started for 5/3/13 Philly wedding planned from SF

• PattySmith101PattySmith101 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    here are my suggestions--

Find a nonreligious officiant (JOP or judge perhaps?) REV KENT FOSTER was amazing- i know it says rev but our ceremony was not religious at all!

Talk to someone about flowers (any recommendations?) we used Domenic Graziano in southampton our flowers were wonderful and affordable!!! i have also heard amazing things
     ( from friends) about Carl Allen- and i think he is closer to your venue

good luck
  • My florist is in the suburbs but works all over Philadelphia. Whimsical Welcomes gets a lot of recommendations on this board for being very creative and very affordable.  Leslie works with all kinds of budgets and I know she works with a lot of brides who live out of state.  She works out of her home so she has more time to spend with brides and has developed a personalized worksheet that she uses with everyone which makes planning a wedding with her really easy. Check out her blog for her latest pictures. .  whimsicalwelcomesflowers.blogspot.com       whimsicalwelcomes.com 
  • For an officiant I recommend Bonnie MacDade:

For a florist I recommend Precious Petals:

Anniversary

• Congratulations! I didn't see videography on the list.. I think of all the things you have after the wedding, the video is one of the most precious. My kids still love watching me walk down the aisle on my DVD...

• Hi!  We're in SF too (well, now San Mateo) and getting married in Philly in June! 

I'm using Gina at GMK florals (see reviews on here).  She worked with us from budgets of $4,000 to $400 (literally, as we had no idea what we wanted), and we did it all online with one meeting while we were there (she actually made time on black friday).  I LOVE her.  Highly recommended!
  • Thanks, Mel! I'll check it out. Good luck with the long-distance planning! :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards