Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Newbie here looking for a small (20-25) reception venue

Hello!  I'm Wendy.  I'm planning a wedding for May 2011.  The plan is basically a quickie ceremony at City Hall followed by a dinner reception for our closest friends and family.  It will probably be about 20-25 people, including us.  Good food, good service, and privacy are important.  Not concerned about liquor license, as we don't drink.  It will be nice, but not formal.  Prefer something in Center City Philly.

I'm actually having trouble finding a place that is small enough - a lot of the venues that advertise for events are huge.  I'd like something I could just rent out for the night, but a private room is ok, too.  The first place that came to mind (I haven't called them yet as I'm not seriously planning yet) is Bistrot la Minette...so I'm thinking along those lines. I think our total budget will be around $5,000, but less is always a plus.  Any ideas?

Thanks so much for reading.  I look forward to participating here:)

Re: Newbie here looking for a small (20-25) reception venue

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out the Art Alliance - it is on 18th Street near Rittenhouse Square.  I have a part-time catering job and I have worked many small weddings there.  It's unique because there is an art gallery upstairs and a private outdoor garden/courtyard.  There is also nice dining area and bar area for the size of your group. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How about a restaurant in the city?   We were eating at Positano Coast once and they were having a wedding reception in the back.. it was small, I'd say 30-40 people.   Kagkiki had her reception at Estia restaurant, if you want to page her and ask her about it.  
  • Options
    laurak43laurak43 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Its not really in the city but another type of option to think about.  My friend had her ceremony and reception at Curtis Arboretum in Abington.  the ceremony was outside in this really nice setting, dinner inside the hall (there table was on the stage) and they had a tent set up outside on the patio for dancing.  I think she did her whole wedding for $7000.  They had to get a caterer and served just beer & wine, and more than 25 guests I think.
    I think the abington art center does receptions too.  Venues like this might be smaller and unique.
  • Options
    cc+mmcc+mm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having a small-ish wedding (approximately 65 guests) and we are renting a bed and breakfast/historic mansion on Locust Street a few blocks from Rittenhouse Square. The site is called Lippincott House and is beautiful inside. You rent the entire b&b for the night, which includes the 4 guest rooms. You are required to use their caterer but everyone has been great so far. Since you are renting the entire b&b, you have the site for the entire night and can have your reception last as long as you would like.
  • Options
    hdiddy013hdiddy013 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Winery's are a great idea for a small wedding reception! They accomodate you and your smaller group with more attention and privacy. I've been to Crossings Vineyard in New Hope, PA. It's beautiful there for tastings alone, I can only imagine how beautiful it would be for a small wedding. I would have mine there if I didnt have 200 guests! Another idea for a smaller wedding would be your favorite restaurant or a place like Maggiano's in the city would be a nice romantic idea! Good luck, hope that helps!Kiss
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards