Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Mohonk or Cairnwood?

So we decide to get married (yay!) and the FIRST thing I do is try to scout for ceremony/reception venues. That sets the whole feel, right? Only, I seem to be going blind, because most of these venues blend together and I'm having trouble finding one stands out and/or fits me and my FH.

Anyway, I finally remember this resort in upper NY I loved to go to as a kid called Mohonk.
Upsides: Gorgeous place, nice reduced prices for a smaller wedding, personal connection
Downsides: Requires 5 guests to stay overnight in expensive rooms, requires our families (especially his) to travel 1-1.5 hrs north of NYC

But, to make sure, I kept searching for venues on TK. Thus, I found Cairnwood near Philly.
Upsides: Also Gorgeous, princess-ish, closer than Mohonk
Downsides: Price unknown, farther for my family, no overnight accomodations in house

Unfortunately, we haven't found any other good places in our price range. It's a total dilemma. Any suggestions?

Re: Mohonk or Cairnwood?

• Options
    sunnirainsunnirain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I remember going to Mohonk when I was younger too. It was beautiful!

Another option (if you're going for the NY vibe) is the Bear Mountain Inn. It just underwent major renovations and is much closer to the NYC area - just over the GW Bridge and up the Palisades about 40 miles.

If it was a little cheaper, we'd totally be getting married there. It's about $90pp plus NY tax and service charge.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted carinwood however it really depends on your budget. Would you mind sharing? If Cairnwood is not in budget, I along with many ladies on this board can recommend lots of other unique venues in the area.
    image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i had always dreamed of the cairnwood if it had been in my price range....
    Braxton & Lizzie 10.9.10 Photobucket
  • Options
    a.lemma4a.lemma4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cairnwood grounds are absolutely beautiful (I'm getting married in the Cathedral right next to it). I know it's insanely pricey but if it fits into your budget, my vote is for Cairnwood!
    Siggy Challenge - Favorite Pic of FI - Tan and Fuzzy, Just the way I like him ;-) imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jess7sonJess7son member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's the thing, I keep hearing budget, but the girl on the phone told me it would be betw. 2 and 8k, probably toward the lower end since I only want a small (60 ppl) Sunday wedding. My budget is 10-12K, but I'm having friends do my dress/photog/videog and an Ipod as the DJ.

I estimate the whole Mohonk affair would run me 4200-4800 for venue and catering. Was the cairnwood estimate off?
  • Options
    CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I went to Cairnwood, it was def over $2K for the rental of Cairnwood alone...

I want to say closer to 5K... but it sounds like you would not need the tent because everyone would fit inside for dinner... so that would save you some $$.

Id go see it in person
    image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had my heart set on Cairnwood but little costs kept adding up and we decided while it was gorgeous, our entire budget would go to the venue itself. The fee for Saturday (just to rent) was $7,500 in May. On top of that, they have chairs and tables but they charge you through your caterer, like $5pp. Luckily you have a smaller party - our size is 165ish and we would have had to go with the tent outside, which was an additional $3k.

If you do a Fri or Sunday not during peak season, you might be ok. Check with some caterers though. We got a few quotes and were given a price of $90pp. We tried to get a cheaper caterer to bring in, but if you don't go with their preferred vendors, they charge a $2k kitchen fee. It's BYOB so you have alcohol too. Music, flowers, etc. I'd add all of those things together - if it still is comfortable for you, go for it! I think it's the perfect place for a smaller wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jess7sonJess7son member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!! I'm going to check it out and ask detailed questions on Wednesday evening. You all have given me so much to work with!

@Cait - Any other venue ideas in the area would be much appreciated. I've seen so many hotels and golf courses my head is spinning.
    @Sunnirain - I like what I've seen of Bear Mountain, but I was/am mainly considering Mohonk because of my personal connection. My FMIL is making a thing because she wants us to get married close to her, but that alas is a separate rant.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards