Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Meet the parents

How did you meet DH/FI's parents or family for the first time?

Anyone have a good story?  I feel like there's gotta be at least one person here that had one of those embarrassing stories you'd read in like Cosmo or something.  You know the ones, "I popped out of my bikini top in front of his dad" or "My tampon string was hanging out of my shorts and his little sister asked what it was in front of everyone"...

Re: Meet the parents

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I met the in-laws at DH's graduation.  At the time we were f*ck buddies and not seriously dating so it was pretty awkward.  I didn't intend to meet them, since I was at the graduation for my BFF who happened to be in the same class as DH, but we ran into each other outside.

I really met them (and actually took time for a conversation) the following Thanksgiving.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Our meeting is kind of boring.  We had our first Delaware date, and he brought me to his house.  He took me to see a couple of landmarks in Wilmington (Rockford Park and Monkey Hill, mostly).  Then we went to the movies... and he took me out to lunch.  To the Post House. 

The Post House is basically a diner that had only has about 12 chairs, and their all at a counter.  It's probably really dirty, but they make amazing eggs.  However, at the time, I was significantly unimpressed. lol.

Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll tell you next monday...
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I met FIL before we were even dating. I went over his house after leaving my BF's to hang out for a bit (funny story... they knew each other in HS and were really good friends. BF at the time HATED DH because DH took BF's xgirlfriend to prom. She was an x because she cheated on him for a while. Needless to say, he wasn't pleased I was friends with DH). So I'm at DH's house (lived with his dad) and he walked in, asked who I was. DH said a friend and he said "maybe you should make her more", winked, then walked up stairs.

Pretty sure I met MIL at Thanksgiving that year, and we had only been dating for a month or so at that point.
  • Options
    CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I really don't remember how or when I first met them.

However we started dating in Oct 2006, NYE 2006 was the first night I spent at their house...puking all night....

image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    paprika- good luck meeting them!!
    October 2012 May 2011 Siggy: E-Ring
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I met his mom and sister on Christmas eve at their house.  I don't know where FIL was.  Maybe he was there, i don't remember.  We just stopped by so nothing big.  I don't know the first time we met met though.  It was a long time ago.  It was probably a holiday dinner or something.  DH's family always does birthday dinners so maybe it was that. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I "met" MIL briefly when I was leaving  a party at DH's parents' house that I had gone with with a mutual friend (and stayed over). For the record, I was not drunk and only stayed over because my friend was the driver and decided she wanted to stay.

I met them both "for real" after our first date. DH picked me up and we went out to eat then stopped back at his parents' house to say hi before taking me home. We had been hanging out a lot as friends for awhile as I was still in/getting out of a bad relationship. This was our first real date, admitting it was more than friends.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Jackie. We're driving down to Missouri on the 28th, so I'll be meeting them the 29th. Let me mention that we'll be staying with them for the week... so if they don't like me, this could be awkward.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh god it was so long ago, but I'm sure it's not interesting.  I just remember his dad walking into the room with a level on his head and saying "Hi, I'm Jeff, and don't let Justin ever tell you I'm not level-headed".

I know I met his mom the same day, but the only thing I remember about it was thinking "Holy God, he looks like his mother."
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and what about him meeting YOUR parents?  Any fun stories there?

• Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

RA - Post house in PA, or is there one in DE?

Well, FI and I meet in Aug '09.  We were "friends"  or as Hil put it "f*ck buddies".  But we were friends first.  In Oct his mom, gma and neice came up to visit and he wanted me to meet them and go out to dinner.  His mom tried to catch us kissing when we left and kept telling us we were bsing this just friends stuff. 

I guess the only embarrassing story from that night was when I fell.  I was wearing boots and went to sit on the bed in the hotel.  I stepped on the bedshirt and slipped, so my graceful sitting on the bed turned into me falling, full weight, onto the bed.  FI's Gma was also sitting on the bed, and I just about bounced her off!  I tried to play it off, but everyone was laughing. 

I later went to visit his family in May (his gma ended up passing away in January) and everyone in the family said how she told EVERYONE I tried to bounce her off the bed... all in good fun.

my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    Cackle6Cackle6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was not prepared at all to meet SO's mom. We had been camping and I was dirty and stinky and looked like crap. We stopped at the Ritz BBQ in Allentown where SO is from, just for a bite to eat before heading back to Philly, and he gets a call. I hear him say "ok, see you in a few minutes." He then turns to me and goes "umm, so my mom is gonna stop by."

We'd only been "dating" 4 months at this point, and I wasn't sure we were even official, because it just started off as a casual thing. So his mom gets there, and sits down with us and we're chatting, and he goes "so mom, do you mind if I bring someone to Thanksgiving (which was the following weekend)?" And she goes "no, of course you can bring someone. Who are you bringing? Is it her (points at me, turns to me), is it you? Are you coming to Thanksgiving?" I hardly knew what to say as he hadn't asked me if I wanted to go, heh. 

The whole thing was kinda crazy, heh. But of course everything ended up being great, and I met his dad at Thanksgiving and we clicked right away (his dad is eerily similar to mine, and I was always a daddys girl). His family is great, I'm going to have awesome in-laws someday. Hopefully sooner rather than later, heh. :)
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want a funny story though... I had been dating ex BF for a year or two at this point. We hung downstairs in the basement. Even his bedroom was down there. It was huge, pool table, couches etc. We were "occupied" in the "livingroom" of the basement and his dad came down, and I didn't realize it until he was half way down the steps. He def. saw everything... and I quickly pulled the blanket up and got down "pretending" i was sleeping.. but he was well aware what was going on. He STAYED FOR TWO MINUTES talking to exbf about random crap, then went upstairs.

exbf was like 'you just froze, wtf". But what do you do? Haha. So his dad got quite  a view of me on top of his son.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

FI and I have been friends for so long... I don't remember the first time he met my mom. But the first time he met my dad was on our first date, because I had moved back in with my parents at the time. Dad called FI by my ex's name by accident. Kinda embarassing, especially since everyone hates the ex. FI shrugged it off, and now they're pretty close. To the point where he keeps asking my dad to come out with us to the lodge we frequent. It's kinda cute. :)

Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    edited December 2011
    Him meeting my parents?  My parents came down and we went to cracker barrel.  In the car while my dad got gas, my mom decided to tell FI that she pole dances on the bus.  My mom worked as an activities aide for a nursing home.  I guess she dancing when they go on trips.  J and I were in the front sit trying not to laugh.  I had already warned him my parents were crazy.  Then my mom asked Jeff to get the gum in the dash board, he told her "No thanks, ma'am... I'm good".  We all laughed and told him she was asking him to give her a piece, he thought she was suggusting he needed some gum. 
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    edited December 2011
    BP - you win!  OMG I would be sooo embarrassed!
    my 2012 shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I first met FI's family a few months after we had started dating. His family lives in Boston and has Thanksgiving the week before so no one has to travel in the bad traffic. His mother called me by his ex's name as I walked in the front door. They didn't have one nice thing to say to him the whole weekend. That is pretty much how it has gone with them since.

He met my parents after we were dating for a few weeks. My mom was moving out of our childhood home and I needed to pack up my room there. I brought him along to help. My dad asked him if he wears that red sox hat because he is a front runner. FI said, "no, sir, born and raised". My dad was impressed by being called sir so they have been bff's since. My uncles tease FI for "siring" my dad, LOL.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Delaware.  The one that's in town, not the one by Claymont. 

I didn't even know that there was one in PA!!
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    a.lemma4a.lemma4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI invited me to his sisters wedding which was a month after we started dating. I met his ENTIRE family that day. I don't know why I ever agreed to it, but I guess I just really liked him haha..
    Siggy Challenge - Favorite Pic of FI - Tan and Fuzzy, Just the way I like him ;-) imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    edited December 2011
    RA - yea in Nottingham.  It's a little crap shoot but good breakfast... at least it used to be, I think they changed management... AGIAN.
    my 2012 shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's still decent breakfast, but odd hours. It's the one right behind the ice cream shop in nottingham, right? We go there every few weeks. I looove their ice cream. Now that DD is bigger, we'll probably take her down to the park for walks when we go.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    edited December 2011

I thought the ice cream shop in the back is now Nottingham Pizza.  I think the one you're talking about is the one by nottingham park, we always went to the one over by Oxford center for dance.  You guys have to come down to get ice cream at the diary farm - you will never eat ice cream anywhere else!

my 2012 shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Meeting his wasn't a big deal. We went to his company holiday party together and met at his parents before hand.

I thought him meeting mine wasn't so great, to me at least. He got out of work before I did and got to my house (when I lived with my parents) before I did. In an effort to entertain him while he waited for me, my mom decided to show him photo albums of me through the years. Yeah.. I really didn't need him to see evidence of my awkward teenage years so soon!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi! Iam new here  (please be nice) and its taken a glass or two(+) of wine to post... I worked with my mans mom and aunt. Not just in the same building but in the same 4 open cubicles. (honestly, i lucked out i love them both). However, that did leave us with a lot of boundry issues at work, but a LOT less awkwardness at home. But usually a positive attidude for their son makes any parent love you
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards