Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Chores

this is kinda of S/O off MH's weekend poll, but I'm curious..

How do you split up the house chores? Cooking, cleaning, finances, general maintence, etc?
Mrs. JEGs
est 7.17.10
[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
Hunter Fillmore
October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress

Re: Chores

• Options
    edited December 2011
    H cleans his bathroom (we have 2), sometimes does laundry, dishes, vaccuuming, trash take out.

I do everything else.

We don't own a house so there isn't any general maintenance/handyman work.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Currently, he washes, dries & folds  the laundry on his days off, I put it away that night. We split cooking- he's better than me, but knows if I get in a cooking mood, that he'd better just let me try it. Even if he thinks he can do it better. But if I cook, he cleans up afterwards, and visa versa.

I'll probably be handling the finances, but we're gonna try to make it a joint effort. (sitting down 2x a month to pay bills together and going over everything we need to make sure we're not going broke... and saving what we should)

He'll be doing anything outside that has to do with the lawn/dirt/bugs/trees, I don't mind washing cars, vacuuming, cleaning the kitchen, but trash is his, as is cleaning the bathroom. I just can't do it. It grosses me out. I also get to do any decorating/painting, etc. Except for his 'man room' whenever we have a place w/a basement.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I - fold/iron and put away laundry - mainly b/c I'm a little too particular, general cleaning, dusting, weekend cooking. I know there is more, but I'm not sure of the specifics

FI- cooks - he owns/operates his fam. business out of the home, so he usually makes dinner during the week. He runs the laundry through for me usually, does the trash, and will vaccum. However, I usually have to ask him to do these things, so it's a little annoying that he can't just see that it needs to be done and do it. Ah men, can't live with them, can't live w/o them....
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Matt cleans the bathroom, takes out trash, shovels the snow, bring the dirty clothes to the basement.

Sometimes does he cooks, does the dishes or vacuums but they are mostly me.

I do everything else. I made the mistake two years ago to refold my clothes after he folded them. Now laundry duty falls on me. blah I hate matching socks!

Neither of us are really "handy". We call our parents to ask when something needs to be done, a.lot.
  • Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wait- you split your chores? what's that like? ;) hahaha

DH takes the trash out, pays bills and puts his laundry away. Once a week I make him cook dinner.

I do pretty much everything else- laundry, cleaning, cooking, vacuum, etc.

Once we get a house I'm sure he'll be more involved in general maintenance and yard work.
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Since I do all the cooking... Gzilla is SUPPOSED to do the dishes, but that doesn't always work.  We also don't have a dishwasher. 

Gzilla does do most of the laundry, which is nice.  I clean the bathroom... and I clean the kitchen.  We share the living/dining area and the bedroom.

Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI vacuumes, takes out the trash, and scoops/disposes/refills the kitty litter.  He also does the replacing lightbulbs, changing filters, removing bugs sort of thing

I do the finances, cooking, grocery shopping, and dusting/surface cleaning.

We split laundry, dishes/dishwasher, and other things as needed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL Split  up?? I do everything, but if something need to be fixed he does it. But I cook, clean, etc. Well he does do laundry soemtimes...
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We do a lot together. We both cook (I cook but he helps prepare) and he cleans the dishes (I help by wiping stuff off first). Grocery shopping is done together, as is cleaning the kitchen. He dusts and vacuums and I clean the bathrooms (we have two). Our room is always clean, but he dusts/does the floors with his weekly dusting/vacuuming. We do the wash together as neither of us know what can and can't be dried in each others clothes. He does the kitty litter, and most of the outside work. He does a little more then me, but he also is home more. He's a huge help though, I'm lucky.
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We don't have a system.  It's pretty much whoever has the time does it.  I get home later than he does and on Wed, I don't get home til after 9.  He makes dinner about twice a week and I do the same and we'll cook together on the weekends.  Wed, we have leftovers. When one cooks, the other person is responsible for the dishes.

He does trash and usually vacuums.  I do the deep cleaning like bathroom, kitchen, windows and dusting.  I usually shovel snow b/c I'm more likely to have a snow day.  He will if its nighttime or a weekend though.

I do the laundry b/c I've lost too many articles of clothing when he does it.  He's a shrinker lol.  He's very careful with his clothes but has no idea what of mine needs to be taken out. He helps me fold.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Seriously, BP I am jealous of you too.

Though I guess  we are pretty fair.

I do:
    Grocery shopping
    Cooking
    We don't have a dish washer, and I wash dishes before making dinner that are from breakfast or late night snacks the night before
    All household cleaning, though he will sometimes surprise me with a clean house while I'm running errands
    Outside I do gardening, weeding, watering plants and trimming hedges

He does:
    All handyman work, depending on the job his dad will help
    Shoveling snow
    Mowing grass
    Trash/recycling
    Dishes from after dinner
    Right now he takes care of the finances, I'm not sure if that will change but I hope that it doesn't

We do laundry/folding together. He doesn't iron his clothes, so I do my own.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI- laundry, trash and vacuums and cleans up after dinner

i do everything else for the most part
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI- laundry, trash and vacuums and cleans up after dinner

i do everything else for the most part
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

As of right now he is kind of "in charge" of vehicle maintence--  if something is broken, he fixes it.  However, today I noticed my inspection was due in October, so I think I am making him in charge of ALL things vehicle related.  He's also supposed to take the trash out, but he usually forgets and I end up doing it.  I hope that will become a little easier when we move into a house and he has specific trash nights.

Other then that I do all the cleaning, laundry, ironing, food shopping and finances.  The only cleaning he does is the tub, and that's only because it's so friggin deep, I have a hard time cleaning it.

When I am on the day shift I cook and when I am on the night shift he cooks.  Whoever cooks cleans up their own dishes.

Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    DianaM27DianaM27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was thinking like Jesseter...split up chores...haha I wish!

FI- supposed to take out the trash, fold the laundry, put away his laundry, and empty the occasional dishwasher

And then actually I pretty do EVERYTHING!! And I succomb to doing his "alloted" chores after he's had tons of time to do and still hasn't done it
    One of my bridesmaids and I sitting poolside Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My fiance is a chef so he cooks a lot for me and I do the dishes . He works a lot so I usually do everything else, sometimes he will do the laundry but I will put it all away.

I was getting really frustrated today because I pick up his clothes all the time its really my only pet peeve living together.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards