Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Sad Songs

So as I was driving home from class today, I was listening to "I'll Walk" by Bucky Covington and started bawling.

Do you have any songs that any time you hear they make you cry?

My other songs are:
"Skin" by Rascal Flatts
"Traveling Soldier"
"Just a Dream" Carrie Underwood

Philly Sig Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

Re: Sad Songs

• Options
    Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm really not that emotional but "House that Built Me" by Miranda Lambert because of the one line "my favorite dog buried in the back yard". It makes me think about my dog when he will pass away (emphasis on will because he's still alive lol). I balled the one time listening to it and I refuse to listen to it anymore.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any sad songs right now, but when I was younger I couldn't listen to Amazing Grace because it reminded me of my great gma's funeral.  Some love songs can make me cry, but I have to already be in an emotional mood... and alone.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not anytime, but Ben Folds's "Evaporated" is one of my better songs to listen to when I'm feeling down and need a god cry.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "Don't take the girl" by Tim McGraw...It doesn't matter how many times I hear it, it still makes me cry!!
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG I have a ton of songs that make me break down.

Going with MH, Amazing Grace as well as You Are Mine make me break out in tears at church to the point I can't even get myself to get up to go receive communion.  Both funeral related.

Radiowise, I cry when I hear:
    "Desperado"  there's no reason for this, I'm just lame

"Calling All Angels" by Train-Reason being that a few years ago one of my students passed away from a brain tumor, she was only 5 years old.  One afternoon, a few days after her death, I was real upset in the car driving to ballet.  I was praying out loud and asking God why.  I literally asked God out loud for a sign that she's okay.  This song came on the radio seconds after.  It makes me think of her now.  I do believe in signs and this was a big one for me.  I've never told anyone about this.  Don't judge, I won't listen.

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In my daughter's eyes- Martina McBride
    I usually get to the line where she says
    'And when she wraps her hand
    around my finger
    Oh it puts a smile in my heart
    Everything becomes a little clearer
    I realize what life is all about

It's hangin' on when your heart
    has had enough
    It's giving more when you feel like giving up
    I've seen the light
    It's in my daughter's eyes'

The other song is 'Fight Like a Girl' by Bombshel. I usually bawl for that one too, about halfway. if you know any female who is or has fought cancer, it'll make you cry too.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I will add On Eagles Wings to Stacys funeral list of Amazing Grace and You Are Mine.

Lean On Me - my uncle passed away two years ago and this was in the slide show. It don't matter what version of the song I hear, if I hear it I will cry.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    To add to the funeral song list - I can't hear "Hail Mary, Gentle Woman" without tearing up in church, thinking of my grandmother.

• Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Travelin' Soldier... or any song with a soldier dying.  Obvious reasons. 

Amazing Grace, esp on bagpipes.  I had a father-figure die of a heart attack a few years ago... that was his only request was Amazing Grace on bagpipes.  Everytime I hear it I cry, but I feel like he's still watching me.

I'd have more if I my MP3 player was charged up.
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oooh this is a good one. I have quite a few...

I agee with the funeral songs, esp "On Eagle's Wings" - grandparents' funerals...

I absolutely cannot listen to Bucky Covington's "I'll Walk" because of my own personal experience with a car accident/hospitalization/wheelchair.

"Don't Take the Girl"
    "Just a Dream"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hope you dance is another one... I'm thinking about that one for the Father/daughter dance.

ETA - i tear up, but I guess it's not exactly sad...
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

A lot of songs make me cry (overly emotional crazy person here)

Def agree with amazing grace.
    And Faith Hill's 'There you'll Be' really gets me.  Makes me think of my Pop-Pop.

Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For me... it's not listening to song, it's singing them.  There are certain songs that I. cannot. sing.  I can't do it.   "The House That Built Me" is one of them... so is "Jesus, Take the Wheel."  But mostly it's musical theatre stuff. 

I decided it would be a good idea to sing "I'm Still Hurting" from The Last Five Years about 6 months after my parents decided to divorce.  Every time I rehearsed it... I was fine.  During my recital, when my mom was there... I couldn't make it through the song.  I also can't sing "For Good" from Wicked.  Or "The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha and "By My Side" from Godspell because my friend sang them at her own father's funeral. 

Crying during "I'm Still Hurting" kinda worked for me, though.... because it's about a woman who can't get over her husband leaving.  He's just fine, but she's still hurting and she's angry. So the crying totally worked with the whole acting part.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    edited December 2011
    Don't Take the Girl is a good one.  I don't even like country, but that's a goodie.

Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again from Phantom of the Opera.  My Dad loves that song, and the idea of a girl singing to her dead father makes me all gushy inside.  I love my Daddy.

Ingrid Michaelson's The Way I Am-- and for some reason the part about buying Rogaine always gets me. 

Aw geeze.. just thinking about it making me tear up.  Damn you people.  Damn you.
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I may or may not have made a CD when I was in high school of sad songs that I used to listen to when I was sad.  I know that sounds really counter intuitive, but sometimes you just need to cry.  I don't have it anymore, but I still remember some of the songs:

The One I Gave My Heart To--Aaliyah
    Letting Go--Kim Sozzi
    It Must Have Been Love--Roxette
    Nothing Compares 2 U--Sinead O'Connor
    You Got It--Whoopi Goldberg (from the movie Boys on the Side...makes me bawl EVERY. TIME.)
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I put certain songs on when I just need to let it out and cry.

"For Good" is a good one.  My senior year in colorguard (judge away) we did defying gravity from Wicked.  There was a ton of drama with the seniors, it was out of control.  At our champs we always get a CD of the songs from that season that we listened to on the bus and getting ready.  They wrote out the lyrics to "For Good" so we realized that there was a bond there even if we fought all the time.  ugh girls!

Philly Sig Challenge

For Sale

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Drink- I was in color guard too:) we called ourselves 'flaggettes' :) I only did it for one season though. I should've clarified- my songs just make me cry- they're not necessarily sad. But when I'm PMS-ing and I need to cry, I'll put them on just to get any bad mood out of my system. I know I have a few more, but I can't remember them right now. I agree with RA- it's singing them that gets me, much more than hearing them.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_sad-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:d0ff71f3-6d21-4427-b96a-bd22a62d8355Post:32561c93-b7a4-43ee-a824-5421bb9c295b">Re: Sad Songs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I put certain songs on when I just need to let it out and cry. "For Good" is a good one.  My senior year in colorguard (judge away) we did defying gravity from Wicked.  There was a ton of drama with the seniors, it was out of control.  At our champs we always get a CD of the songs from that season that we listened to on the bus and getting ready.  They wrote out the lyrics to "For Good" so we realized that there was a bond there even if we fought all the time.  ugh girls!
    Posted by drink227[/QUOTE]
    '

What colorguard were you in.

Love a former bando...

My sister is now the colorguard envy of my life and I taught her to spin
    image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wissahickon.  I was in all 4 years in hs and 2 in middle school

Philly Sig Challenge

For Sale

• Options
    ev4149ev4149 member
    edited December 2011
    Wow, lots of color guard girls on here!  I was in it in high school too.  Random.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "dont take the girl" Tim McGraw! gets me everytime!!
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_sad-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:d0ff71f3-6d21-4427-b96a-bd22a62d8355Post:584c56c2-7d95-45f4-9a23-5b6260fdd8f7">Re: Sad Songs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hope you dance is another one... I'm thinking about that one for the Father/daughter dance. ETA - i tear up, but I guess it's not exactly sad...
    Posted by mana8503[/QUOTE]

My dad and I danced to this.  I am a ballerina ya know lol.  It's funny b/c the whole dance, we talked about how my dad smelled like liquor hahaha.  We didn't get all sappy.  Note: He wasn't drunk but he had a makers mark on the rocks and he stunk of alcohol.  My dad doesn't drink a lot so it was funny to me.  He said he had to have something in order to get up in front of all those people.  I'll never forget that dance, great memory.  Good song :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    neongreenboxneongreenbox member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "Daniel" from Elton John
    I lost my father (Daniel of course) to cancer - this song always makes me lose it where ever I may be. One time I broke down at Lowes when it came on as I was looking at grout (he was a mason.)

"Oh and I can see Daniel waving goodbye
    God it looks like Daniel, must be the clouds in my eyes "
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards