Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Outdoor ceremony dilemma!

Hello all,

(I'm reposting this from the Outdoor wedding board)

I'm getting married next August (8/26/2011) at Overbrook Golf Club.  The venue has an incredible patio that would be stunning for a ceremony, however only about half of my guests would be seated.  The rest of the guests would be standing on an upper portion of the patio to watch the ceremony. 

We do have the option of having the ceremony indoors in the ballroom, then going into other rooms and using the patio for cocktail hour while the ballroom is prepared for the reception.  Everyone will have a seat and it's air conditioned.

My question is---is it cheesy to have half of my guests standing for the ceremony?  It won't be long...maybe 20 minutes.  There is a chance the heat could be pretty oppressive on the wedding day, but the ceremony will be in the evening (maybe 6pm) and everyone who is standing would be on a covered portion of the patio. 

What would you do?  Go for the less scenic ballroom where everyone is in the AC and seated?  Or go for the more scenic outdoor area where heat MAY play a factor and some guests will be standing?

Re: Outdoor ceremony dilemma!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it would be nice to stand outside in the heat. I would prefer to be inside in the AC :)
  • Options
    LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go for the place where everyone is seated. As a host, I wouldn't want my guests to get all dressed up and possibly be in heels and then have to stand for half an hour in the heat. Plus, what do you do about guests who can't stand for extended periods of time? Some of these ailments might be visable, but some might not. By having the ceremony inside, you can still utilize the patio for cocktail hour, when it can be much better enjoyed by all of your guest!
    And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hate to sweat. Put me in a dress and heals and I hate it even more!

My vote is for inside where every one is seated.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Inside and seated, but thats because I hate the great outdoors.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aw, I understand your dilemma.  I'm hoping for an outdoor ceremony in August, but I'm not sure if the heat/humidity will be good to me.  If literally half your guests would have to stand for it to be outdoors, I agree with pp that you should have it inside.  I'm sure that's not what you were envisioning for your ceremony, but its more practical and nicer for the guests.
  • Options
    efred520efred520 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is pretty much where my feelings are too.  My mom has really been tempting me with the idea because it is just SO pretty out on the patio.  But, we can always utilize the patio for pictures after the ceremony. 

Thanks for your thoughts :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely inside.  Even if the ceremony is short, you have to consider that a lot of people will get there early and may stand for longer than 20 min.  You definitely want your guests to be as comfy as possible.  I would just use it for pics.  
    Photobucket
    my read shelf:
    Noelwellin's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards