Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

NWR: Stupid driveway question

I preface by saying this is the dumbest question ever.

DH and I are in the process of trying to buy a house.  The house we are under contract for has a driveway and a single car garage.  The driveway is the width of the garage, so when you pull in, the person in the garage cannot get around you (pull to one side and you're in a tree, pull to the other side, and you're in a creek).

Does anyone have this kind of set up? How do you work it with two cars?  I always get home after DH, but he often leaves before me.  How do you handle what is essentially tandem parking spots?  Do you just always leave one car on the street?  That seems silly to me since its MY driveway.

I know this is lame, but its just one of those things I can't figure out on my own....
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NWR: Stupid driveway question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess whoever leaves first takes the car in the driveway? So that means you'll be switching cars every day. Unless...if you leave later than your DH and your car is parked behind his, you'd just have to move it when he leaves for work?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is all I have to offer....

don't worry about it right now.... Laughing

• Options
    FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    first - Congrats!

Second - I have to second MH's response - b/c there's just no topping it!
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    touché to Hilary.

DH and I would not switch cars every day. They are yours and mine not ours ;)
    Anyway, I wouldn't be bothered parking on the street in front of my house.
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My parents ran into this problem

My mom got the driveway and my dad got to park on the street.
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My neighbors growing up had a setup like that.  The husband moved the cars every night before going to bed so that whoever needed to be out first the next day was closest to the street.  I think he still does it!

At our house, we've got a little paved pad in front of the house.  DH parks in the driveway so he can access the ramp and I park on the pad.  The exception being when it just snowed.  I parked in the driveway and still am until the snow goes away.  However, I come home first and leave second so we're always in the right parking order anyway.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_nwr-stupid-driveway-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:f7cfed7b-1bc5-41f0-8315-0e36eefbc32fPost:43d43b4d-0b2a-4d4f-a46d-d800f6f9e17b">Re: NWR: Stupid driveway question</a>:
    [QUOTE]My parents ran into this problem My mom got the driveway and my dad got to park on the street.
    Posted by Amerbutt81[/QUOTE]

Ditto.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! And thanks for the wine, MH.  Clearly, this is not a big deal at all and certainly not one right now. Just one of those things I was thinking about.
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Cara - it's ok, I've been having minor freak outs about little things on the house too.  I pretty much make FI take me to the model home every weekend to check something.  It's little things I didn't notice like the vanity in the master bathroom, or whatever... This will probably stop once they start construction and I want to see the progress every weekend.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I over analyze everything and DH has to tell me to stop.  That's why I offered wine. 
  • Options
    Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is how it used to be at my parents. They get the drive way and my brother and I parked on the street. At my new house (only a few houses down) we can't really park in front of our house on the drive way because we're at the end of the street so it's just too much traffic. So I usually come home first and DH leaves for work first so it usually works out. Otherwise we'll move it. It's a little bit of a hassel but not that much
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would widen the driveway.  My parents is widened, before they moved in to fit more then 3 cars across a 2 car garage.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    NCV - I'm thinking about widening it in the future, but seriously, it might include tree removal.   The other side of the driveway is a creek/storm drain.  But that would be waaaaay down the line and definitely isn't a spending priority.  It'll be fine, we'll work something out.  Not freaking out about it, really, I'm just insanely bored with this spreadsheet I'm working on so instead I was sitting here mentally moving cars around.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI parents have the same situation. Usually his Dad parks on the street until Mom gets home. then he will move the car to the driveway after hers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just buy two really small cars!! Duh ;)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We can fit six cars in our driveway, but sometimes it is a lot to shovel.  So you can have one car's worth if you want ;)
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All I have to say is that I'd love to live on this property!! A creek and a tree???  Beats driving up and down the streets of south philly every night hoping to find a spot within 4 blocks of the house!  If you put in a bid and get it, I'll be sooo jealous :)  I should add that I'm only 1 block away tonight and that makes me very happy.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My neighbors do the whole "move the car every night" thing..  But my vote is with Hil, you can widen the driveway a smidge later on and then fit both cars.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards