North Carolina-Outer Banks

Reception Advice/Ideas

Hello!  I am new to this site and am getting married in Corolla on 5/25/12. I am only having a few guests mainly family (less than 20).  What could I do for a reception?  I still want all of the typical parts of a reception, the first dances, cake cutting, etc. but can't really justify hiring a DJ or renting a space.  I thought about just going out to dinner which would probably work if I could find somewhere with a private room to have music and some dancing, any suggestions or other reception ideas?  Thanks!
May 25, 2012

Re: Reception Advice/Ideas

• Hi and welcome to the board you have come to the right place! And congrats on the wedding! My wedding is just slightly bigger about 50 people so I am also not going to use a dj! We are doing a recpetion at our rental house for the week, found a great catering company and everything! I m going to take an ipod docking station and a couple extra speakers and handle music that way, still with the typical dances and everything, if you need any other help just ask :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hello and welcome! We are having our wedding at the Sanderling, under the elopement package, about 35 guests. We are also not having a DJ, my brother-in-law is going to be in charge of annoucements, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats and welcome to the board!

You could certainly have a small reception at your rental cottage.  The rule of thumb is not to have more people there than what the house can actually sleep.  Like Pink mentioned, you could have someone cater in the food--anything from really fancy to a laid back southern bbq style dinner, hook up the Ipod to some speakers and dance the night away.

I know there are several restaurants that you could use that would hold your guests comfortably, but not sure about the dancing part b/c they may consider that an actual event and then charge you a venue fee or something.  I would call around to some places to see what they think about it.  We did our rehearsal dinner at Pamlico Jack's b/c they sit right on the soundside and have an entire 2nd floor area that is private with an outdoor patio and have amazing sunsets.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you out with :)

• Thanks everone! Do you know of any restaurants that are closer to Corolla but have a private room on the water like the restaurant you mentioned?
    May 25, 2012
  • Aqua S in Duck sits on the sound and so does The Blue Point  :)

• I have no input as for where your reception should be, but I just wanted to say that I like your date! :)
  • llilley, where is your ceremony on 5/25/12?
    May 25, 2012
  • Also in Corolla! We're getting married on the beach near our house (Gertrude's Breakaway) which is in the Ocean Sands A subdivision. Also, our weddings are in 72 days!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards