North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

108 Budleigh Brides--To Use the Upstairs or Not???

So after visitng 108 Budleigh this past weekend with our DJ, I am not sure if we should use the upstairs area for the cocktail hour or not?  DJ says that most people don't use the upstairs area but that it's really a matter of preference.  My concern is this; 1) I have 2 grandmothers and 2 aunts that may find it difficult to climb up and then back down the stairs 2) Using the upstairs means hiring a 2nd bartender with a lovely price tag to go with it 3) we would also have to rent cocktail tables since those are not included (ridiculous IMO)

Sooooo...do we use the upstairs or just keep everyone downstairs?  I don't want to inconvenience anyone that has trouble climbing stairs AND that's more money to be spent for tables, bartender, alcohol, etc. BUTTTTTT....part of me feels that if we are paying for the entire venue, then we should use as much of it as we can.

Thoughts?

Here are some pics for you to envision:

Re: 108 Budleigh Brides--To Use the Upstairs or Not???

• Options
    jendem8jendem8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey!  We are planning to use the upstairs.  I want to have two bartenders though so that people can use the downstairs bar as well, so there isn't a line (or put the two bartenders upstairs for cocktail hour and move one down for the rest of the reception, I haven't decided yet).  I also want to have the doors leading to the patio open so that people can go outside as well.  I'm going to ask that people be led upstairs, but if there are people who want to stay downstairs/outside, that's fine too.  I'll probably have the hors d'oeuvres upstairs though with some high bistro tables.  Obviously I'm not real sure on my numbers yet, so plans might change, but I will definitely use the upstairs, as I do plan on leaving the bartender up there so people who want to "escape" from downstairs have a place to chill (and so lines for the bar don't get too long).
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you do decide to use the upstairs, I rents cocktail tables and linen for a great price through Ocean Atlantic Rentals.  The additional costs would really make me hesitant- we get so caught up in everything and tend to overspend one everything, so this would be one thing you could pat yourself on the back for by passing and saving the money.  However, I do feel like if I were a guest at the wedding, I'd kind of like having a bird's eye view of the event and maybe "escaping" to take a breather or catch up with the "kids" our age, especially if your guest list is greatly varied from friends- family members.
    Either way though, your guests will have fun, and I bet they'll barely notice or think twice about the upstairs if you don't do it.  I think it comes down to the money!  I'm trying to cut everywhere I can, so I'd probably pass.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Heeey!!  Yes, we are planning on using it.  I want to use the space since it it there and so beautiful.  I am planning on having two bartenders as well, and cocktail hour upstairs with people branching out to the patio where I know they will end up gravitating towards.  I am only going to set up a few high tables with a cute centerpiece and put a bartender up there and voila, cocktail hour, haha.  I will put some more thought in, but for now I am planning on using it.  Let me know what you end up doing :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't planning on using the upstairs, but now you gals make me think about changing my mind. tcigal's right, it may be nice to have a breather upstairs to escape from things and have a bird's eye view. Let us know what you decide.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I think you already made up your mind!!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think I'm going to use the upstairs for cocktail hour, but I am going to seat some people (our friends probably) up there. I'd really like to keep the reception space a "secret" until the actual reception starts. So cocktail hour will be outside on the terrance & probably the lawn next to it. During the reception we are going to have 2 bartenders and then I'm also going to put 1/3 of the food upstairs so our friends don't have to go up & down in heels (and prob drunk!) for dinner (we're having a tapas style menu, different food stations all around).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the feeback ladies!  I really do want to use the upstairs....so we shall use it!  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards