North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Honeymoon

So, I was just wondering if anyone is going on a honeymoon away from the OBX.  I'm currently looking up packages and am curious to hear what other people are doing.  I've always wanted to go to the Caribbean, so I'm looking at St. Lucia and Antigua.  We probably want to do an all-inclusive thing too.  Thoughts?  Experiences?  Anyone know of a way to skip the school year so that I can get to next summer already??? Smile
image June 22, 2012

Re: Honeymoon

• Options
    JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Caribbean is always great, Antigua and St. Lucia both have Sandals, which is an all inclusive, adults only, perfect honeymoon spot.  St. Lucia Sandals is actually adding over the water bungalows, may be available for net summer.  That would be AWESOME! 
  • Options
    mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Delayed honeymoon for us somewhere beachy when it's lousy weather here.  We would like to pay off some things and catch from all of the wedding expenses first.
  • Options
    jendem8jendem8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good thinking on delaying until bad weather!

I was looking at Sandals for sure.  Water bungalows would be AMAZING!  Has anyone done Sandals before?  I looked at some reviews on the honeymoon board but figured throw it out to you guys too.  The only time I've been out of the country has been traveling to Canada, so this idea of an all-inclusive resort is very new to me (but sounds awesome)!
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All inclusive is great in the Caribbean.  If you haven't been there- I would recommend it- it is easy to budget! 

Antigua is a bit quieter, but beautiful, white sand beaches.  St. Lucia is beautiful, but not as white sand beaches, more landscape and jungle type of environment.  It just depends on what you would prefer.   

Aruba and St. Marten are my two of my fav islands as well, they have lots of stuff to do on the island, but have less of the all inclusive resorts. I think Sandals or Secrets are good options for all inclusive, honeymoon spot for you guys.  

Good luck!!!!!  Keep us posted. :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We're going to Belize.  Where we're going is like the outer banks of Belize- weird! It is not all inclusive, although most meals are included. We do have to pay for alcohol. We added a few "excursions" to the trip so we're not just sipping mimosas on the beach all day (not that that would be a problem!).  My BIL and SIL (and some friends from college) each honeymooned in St. Lucia at the all-inclusive Sandals and recommended it to us. The resort thing just isn't our style. We are opting for little huts on the beach.
    I would check out expedia type websites to get package deals on airfare/hotels.
    Good luck, and happy planning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We're not taking a honeymoon until next May.  We plan to go to Italy and Greece- depending on the safety.  We don't have enough days to take off of work for the wedding and 2 weeks overseas plus it'll help to save

Lisa Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We are doing our mini-moon the week of the wedding and then waiting until the bad weather hits in Jan/Feb.  I'm glad you posted this thread b/c we too are unsure of exactly where we want to go.  Considering St. Lucia right now....and I have never stayed at any resort type of place before so all of this is new to me as well.

• Options
    jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    I've been researching a lot these past few days.  Since we want to do an all-inclusive it seems like the Sandals might be our best bet, although Cocobay in Antigua is reasonably priced with good reviews (thank goodness for TripAdvisor!).  Antigua is more reasonably priced overall than St. Lucia, but St. Lucia has rainforests and a volcano!  Others like the beaches on Antigua more, so it's a toss up (and whether or not we can spring for the extra $1500 or so for St. Lucia).

I'm trying to research some other islands too.  My best friend and MOH went to St. Marten last snummer and absolutely loved it, so I want to look into that and some other places as well.
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if you can view these links, or not.  But a friend just came back from Beaches Turks & Caicos.  I asked her about her experience because I've been wanting to go to T&C Grace Bay.  This was her second time at Beaches.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/mary-catherine-derin/beaches-all-inclusive-resort-turks-caicos-review/10150266092652057

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147399-d254897-r116170388-Beaches_Turks_Caicos-Providenciales_Turks_and_Caicos.html

This is where I would like to go. Grace Bay Club secret fifth floor:

• Options
    jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I can't see the pics, but I actually have checked out that reort.  Even at the low-end we can't afford it!  It's gorgeous though, so maybe when I'm rich and famous someday, I'll check it out!  It's not as overpriced as some I've looked at either.  I can't believe how expensive some of these places are!  For some, I'd be spending a quarter of my year's salary for the trip!
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been looking at all of these places too and got a little freaked out about the prices. And those prices don't even include airfare. I know people with "normal" salaries go on honeymoons but what the hell! I can't imagine affording some of them :(

After I got really freaked out I went on homeaway.com and searched little beach cottages/condos to rent and they are VERY affordable. Has anyone considered this? I found some really nice places in condo complexes that are literally on the beach, have a kitchen, pools, some restaurants & bars, towns in walking distance, etc. I looked on a bunch of islands (St. Thomas/Johns, St. Marteen, Cayman, etc.) and found a bunch for less than $1300 for a whole week. Of course it's not all inclusive, but in the reviews I read, people just stopped at the market on their way to the house and picked up stuff for breakfast & lunch and said they saved a lot of money only going out to eat for dinner.

Just a thought!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    I think that's actually the site that my friend used to book her St. Maarten vacation.  That's not a bad rate at all!  The only thing I'm thinking about is that I don't want to be calculating food/drinks for the week, but it honestly might be worth it. 

Right now I'm leaning towards Cocobay in Antigua since it's about $4,000 with round trip tickets, it's all-inclusive, and it has good reviews.  But I'm definitely going to check out that link... thanks!
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going to the Dominican Republic and staying at Dreams Palm Beach directly after the wedding.  FI and I are taking 2 weeks off for everything.  I love the OBX, but will need to get "outtie" after the week there, and all the hubbub!!!

If you have a minute, check into the Dreams resorts.  They are absolutely gorgeous, are all inclusive(which we think is the absolute ONLY way to go), all have Jacuzzi rooms, etc.  All food, drink, room serivce, mini bar stuff included.  They also have a Honeymooners package that retails for $949 that they will give you for free if you meet a few criteria:
    #1.  Must prove your on your honeymoon by way of invite or license
    #2.  Must book a Honeymoon Suite level room or higher
    #3.  Must stay a minimum of 7 nights.
    I have been price shopping like MAD both with local travel agents in our area, and online for the same package, etc.  A couple have said they will match any price we find and throw in some perks to gain our business.  So far, I have found Saturday-Saturday for both of us, including airfare from Baltimore roundtrip, with a Honeymoon Suite Oceanview Jacuzzi room right around $3,100-$3,300.  I have checked Expedia and laugh if you may, but cheapest yet, BJ's Wholesale Club Travel.  If your a member, they are AWESOME and have 24/7 phone support.  They also advertise giving you a $200 BJ's card if you book with them.  Oh, on top of the Honeymoon package which includes champagne Bfast in bed one day, on the beach dinner one night, a few couples massages and scrubs, priority this that and the other thing, etc., they give you $400 in resort coupons to use on other things there.  Definitely worth checking out.
    Oh, and if you are into "Couples Only" resorts, then try their sister resort, Secrets.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

This is awesome!  Thanks Philly.

Brent and I did want to do a couples only resort....so you are saying that Secrets is the way to go?

Thanks! :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_honeymoon-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:0c187dbc-9e42-462b-baad-3a5be8ef6aebPost:ace6117c-fc9f-49e1-92b3-d778a961041a">Re: Honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is awesome!  Thanks Philly. Brent and I did want to do a couples only resort....<strong><u>so you are saying that Secrets is the way to go?</u></strong> Thanks! :)
    Posted by OBX2011[/QUOTE]

I think if you want "couples" only, yes, it's the way to go.  I really didn't price out rooms for Secrets, but when I did the one time, I think I saw a price difference of about $1k on the high end for Secrets.  Our philosphy is this.  Since we are getting married in September, we figure that the resort won't have TOOO many kids at it because of being back in school.  That's an advantage.  Also, we were told that Dreams Palm Beach has nicer rooms, and Dreams has another resort near, that is a little older than the Palm Beach one.  Kel also had a former co worker go to Dreams and they absolutely loved it.  Also, the agents we have been talking to that book through Apple Vacations have told us that it's super high up on their list on a rating system like 6 golden apples, for what that's worth!

I am super into honeymoon planning.  I have a spreadsheet and everything for price shopping! :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards