North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Ceremony content/ order - sorry, it's long!!!

So FI and I are "building our own ceremony" by reseraching all different ones and picking and chosing content we like and pulling it together in a way that still flows together, and is more "us".

SO that of course leads me to some questions about the welcome/consent and what/ how much exactly ya'll are doing of the "consent" between you & FI before your father "gives you away" (if you're doing this).  I find that for some of these options though, I'd be standing there with my father for seemingly a long time before he "gives me away" and I go to stand next to FI.

For example:

"We are here today...." welcome & ditty about those who cannot be with us

THEN:

Marriage should not be entered into thoughtlessly or lightly, for your future happiness and prosperity depends much on what you put into this relationship.  Marriage is a promise to your best friend, to your love, that you will honor and cherish each other, not for a fleeting period, but for the rest of your lives.

Josh, will you have this woman to be your wife, in all love and honor, in all faith and tenderness, to live with her and cherish her in this bond of marriage?  If so please answer “I will.”

Toni, will you have this man to be your husband, in all love and honor, in all faith and tenderness, to live with him and cherish him in this bond of marriage?  If so please answer “I will.”

Are both of you willing to give your hand to the one whose heart you hold?

(Both answer):  Yes, we are.

Who presents Toni to be married to Josh?

(Mr. Cigal):  Her Mother and I 

(Bride joins Groom)

....Sorry that was really long, and I hope I haven't lost you, but can I just bump up my Dad "presenting" me to the part before where she says "marriage is not to be entered into lightly...." so that it's his "presentation" of me, then the ditty by the officiant, the Josh&My consent, then so on?  I like the flow from her ditty about marriage not being entered into lightly, then our consent, but in a way it makes sense that she ask us "if we're ready to take the hand of who's heart we hold" THEN  have my dad give me away,b ut I'm not sure I like all that time.

Is that normal?  ...not that I care what's normal, but I'm curious how yours are flowing!

Thank you for your taking time to respond to this long/personal post!!

ps- it makes it SO REAL to be putting the ceremony content together and reading those powerful words!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ceremony content/ order - sorry, it's long!!!

• Options
    tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I mis-spoke.  Basically, my question is: is your "welcome" this long, before your Dad "presents you" and you stand with FI?

Could I push: "Are both of you willing to give your hand to the one whose heart you hold?

(Both answer):  Yes, we are.

Who presents Toni to be married to Josh?

(Mr. Cigal):  Her Mother and I 

(Bride joins Groom)"

To be right after the welcome, and then from there, have the Officiant go into the little reading/blessing/advising that "Marriage is not be entereted into lightly" followed by our actual "consent"

(I hope I"m referring to these parts correctly!) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I think you can do it the second way so your dad isn't up there so long. I actually think the dad part traditionally comes before the couple's part, but I could be wrong.

This is what we did:
    welcome words
    presentation (dad part)
    charge for the couple (your marriage should not be... part)
    acceptance (yes, we do part)

06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards