North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

What made you decide on an OBX wedding?

My fiance and I have been going back and forth since we got engaged.  We are both from Delaware where the majority of our family still resides.  At first we thought we'd do Delaware but when researching venues and ideas we both were just kind of "blah" on the idea.  No offense to Delaware or Delaware brides, but we wanted something different and it seemed like all of the "different" venues in DE were out of our price range.

So we both visualized our wedding day and it screamed "beach!".  We live here so it just feels right that we get married at the place where were are establisthing ourselves.  I think if we still lived in Delaware, the OBX probably wouldn't have crossed my mind as a real possibility but knowing that it is now, I think if we did get married in Delaware we'd always regret it. 

Re: What made you decide on an OBX wedding?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Fi & I have been vacationing to various beaches throughout our 7 yr relationship. So it was kind of a no-brainer when it came time to decide a venue. We did look closer to home at venues but we didn't want a traditional church/country club wedding.
    My family and I have been to OBX a few times and love it more and more each time. My parents are thinking about buying property down there and retiring there someday!! FI had never been to OBX, so my mom and I brought him along with us to the Wedding Expo in January. I know probably wasn't the greatest 1st impression of OBX but still he liked it. FI & I took a planning trip in early May and he "fell in love" with the area!!!!
    That's our story. ha
  • Options
    obxlaurakobxlaurak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    KRHOY - Love it!  I was at the expo in January too.  OMG, I don't know about you but I was in like sensory overload!  It really overwhelmed me.

I'm hoping by the time I go this January, I'll have narrowed down some vendors and going will help me make final decisions.

And this time I know not to eat lunch before I go!  Laughing
  • Options
    sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Laura,
    I think every bride has a gut feeling when you find the location of your wedding. Whether you see it in a city, in the country or on the beach, you just KNOW when it's right. I personally have a story to share about how we made our choice... 

My FI & I first visited the OBX in August 2 years ago to celebrate our birthdays (they are 4 days apart). We both have always loved the beach. I grew up in California, very close to the beach for my whole childhood. My FI LOVES surf-fishing and also was raised with annual beach trips to Ocean City & Delaware Beaches. (I personally love Delaware beaches btw). When we got engaged the following August, it was on the beach in Florida, where we took that year's annual birthday trip. On that day, when we got engaged, I leaned down to pick up a rare pink shell, and when I stood up, my fiance was on one knee in front of me.

Fast forward to a few months into our planning, and we visited OBX once again. It was October, off-season, and the weather was amazing. We still hadn't decided on our wedding location at this point. But as we were walking one morning I stopped to pick up a shell, a shell that looked much like the pink one I found that day in Florida. When I stood up, my Fiance was on one knee, but this time, he was just tying his shoe. But in that moment, I had a flash of remembering that day he proposed to me on the beach. And I knew. I knew that the universe was trying to tell me that this was the place. This beach was were I would always remember the early days of our love. I knew that years from then, looking back I would never wish I would have been married in a church, or in California, or on another beach.

Every trip we've taken while planning our wedding over the last few months has just cemented this decision all the more. The people, the places, the beautiful gigantic sky...we are in love with the Outer Banks. And I can't imagine any other place I would rather be standing when we vow to love eachother forever.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    obxlaurakobxlaurak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sarahebrown - I love that story!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Originally we planned to do a "normal" wedding in Northern VA, Leesburg to be exact, about 5 minutes from my house.  Our venue rental alone (which did include the tent, the location, the tables, the chairs) was $7000.  I found a house called Cinco Palmas on the Outer Banks Blue vacation rental website.  It is a 17BR oceanfront home, with enough room for an outdoor reception, that rents for about $6800/week the week we wanted to get married.  I just couldn't see spending $7000 on a venue when I could get a whole week at the beach for my entire family for that price! 

Since, I have contacted Outer Banks Blue pretty much weekly to find out if that home would be an "event" home next year.  It isn't now.  I still haven't heard and we decided to go another route (two different beach houses and reception at 108 Budleigh).  Watch out for the Cinco Palmas if you have the time to wait.  :)  It MIGHT be an event home next year.  LOL.  Its a gorgeous 8BR house with four condos on the same complex and all in the same style.

Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My family has been vacationing at OBX my entire life, so I've always loved it there. Last summer I took my FI for a few days and he fell in love. He wanted to move there! When we got engaged we talked about wanting to pick a place that would be fun & people would be excited to go to. I'm from Delaware and had no interest in having it there. He's from WV and we didn't want it there either. We figured somewhere in NC where we live would be good bc it'd be equal traveling for a lot of people. We checked out OBX and then the NC mountains. I think we both knew it'd end up being OBX... we just wanted to give the mountains a shot haha! I'm soooo happy with our decision and our family & friends are already planning their OBX vacays for next June!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    llilleyllilley member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ keb I LOVED the Cinco Palmas too. 

Our very first date was to a beach, he proposed on a beach, and we both just love the beach!  Initially, we were thinking Hawaii, but that was going to be very difficult for too many ppl (like friends in med/law/dental/pt school, older family members, and financially for everyone).  We're in Durham right now and thought that the OBX was a great compromise--beach, "destination," and not as difficult for ppl to get to.  Not to mention, we can make as many "planning" trips as we want since it's only 4 hours!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We love the area so much and had been vacationing there every summer since we started dating.  After looking at local venues (and the dollar signs that went with them) we realized we could have the best of the best in the OBX for the same price as a pretty low-key wedding would be locally.  We were able to upgrade our food, flowers, and photography as well as spend 2 weeks at the beach for the same amount we would have paid locally.  Plus, the idea of crashing waves as a backdrop and our toes in the sand felt too good to pass up.  It was a no brainer! 

The pictures are just amazing and I can't believe how lucky we were to have such a beautiful day.  I also love that we'll be able to go back there every year, and with our kids too some day.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    aw all these stories are so sweet :)  I have been vacationing in Nags Head for 25 years, yep since I was 3 months old!!!! We stayed at the same condo the same week every summer and I have so many fond memories of the OBX.  My fi is from Ohio, I am from VA, but we both live in NC now so we definitley wanted a NC wedding.  I never pictured myself having a "formal" church wedding so as soon as my fi said he wanted to marry me the first thought in my head was OBX. I am taking my fi there for the first time next week and I am soooo excited to show him why I love it there so much!  I've been to a lot of beaches throughout the us and hands down nothing compares to my obx, the people, the restaurants, the sights, everything about it is so amazing.  I can't wait to get married next May in good ol' nags head and one day show my kids how special this place is to me!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Its so amazing how special the OBX is to so many people.

My family has been vacationing at the OBX for the past 15+ years.  My family was able to build a house about 13 years ago and we have been going every summer since.  So, needless to say, my FI has been going with us since we have been together (almost 10 yrs)!
    The first time we went together was for a Spring Break trip that I planned in college.  At that time we were just friends - but during this trip we started to have
    feelings for each other (I always say thats when he fell in love with me Wink).
    We have been going at least once a year for the past 10 years.  When we got engaged (he proposed a couple of hours before we were leaving to go to OBX), we both new immediately that the OBX was where we wanted to get married.
    When we told our friends and family that we had gotten engaged, almost everyone asked us if we were getting married at the beach.  Its such a huge part of us and a place that we LOVE so much!
    I am so very excited to have our friends and family at the place that we love the most!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sarah- I had chills reading your story! Fighting back happy tears because I am at work! :)

My family also has been vacationing on the OBX for close to 15 years now. We took a few years and went to other places such as Ocean Beach, NJ and Virginia Beach but it just was not the same and we wound up back on the 4x4 beaches again!  My FI has only been coming with us (all 26 of us!!!) for 3 years, but he has falled in love with it as well. We didn't even have to think twice about sharing our love on the beach we love with all the people we love. I have always said, when you know, you know. For us there was absolutely zero doubts.
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I love all of these stories :)

My family has been vacationing in obx since as long as I can remember....my earliest memory is when I was like 3 years old and The Ramada at MP 16.5 was THE hotel back in the day.  My dad started taking my sister and I for week-long trips after my parents divorced....and years later, my mom & step-dad actually come with us on vacation.  Yes, a tad strange to some but I wouldn't have it any other way.  I am very blessed to have 3 parents that get along so well and still share holidays together.  Brent is originally from Iowa and spent most of his life in Seattle...he moved here about 9 years ago and we have been together for 8.  I still remember the first time he went down with us....he fell in love! 

I knew ever since I was a little girl that obx was the place I would get married.  I have some of my best memories there and I couldn't imagine any other place to get married at.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Everyone has such awesome stories!! :)  Love it! 

KLK - when is your wedding date?  We are may of next year too ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Well I have been vacationing in the OBX ever since I was 3.  My parents took me every summer for 3-4 weeks at a time.  I skipped a few years when my parents got separated when I was 17.  I went back with my dad and brother the first summer DH and were together, and he came with us.  He loved it.  I introduced his family to the OBX a few years back and we go down with them, with my family, or by ourselves usually twice a year now. 

Ever since I was a little girl I have always known I wanted a wedding that was far away from where I live.  My extended family is kind of cuckoo (lol) and I knew that I wanted a small wedding because I didn't want to deal with the drama of a 200 person wedding.  If my wedding was far away, I didn't have to invite everyone.  When I was younger I always thought Vegas or Disney World would be where I'd get married.  Then as I got older I knew I wanted a beach wedding.  When DH and I started talking marriage the OBX just seemed right.  We entertained the idea of Disney, cruises, and AI in the carribean, but we always came back to the OBX :)  I'm glad that we did!

Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Outer Banks is my home! I was born and raised here and I wouldn't have my wedding any other place in the world!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards