North Carolina-Outer Banks

Vendor Reviews 10-8-11....finally! Sorry --kinda long!

Better late than never......here are my vendor reviews:

Venue ---we got married on the beach which was AMAZING and had our reception poolside in the backyard of Woodstock (my aunt and uncle's beach home).  It's not technically an event home but it is a rental from May through September and it worked peeeeerfect!  If anyone is unsure of whether to have their reception at a rental home or at a restaurant/hotel, I would hands down recommend the rental home!  All of my guests loved the fact that the party really never ended!  :)

Catering -- Enchanted Cuisine (formerly Culinary Majick) ---Gwen is AMAZING!  She is a true professional, as well as her entire staff were on top of everything the entire night!  I was not the most detailed bride and the things I didn't think of, they did!  The food was amazing and all of my guests absolutely raved about her chicken parm specifically!

Cake -- CakesbyRobin ----  Delish!  Robin was easy to work with, delivered the cake right on time and was in and out in a flash!  I didn't get a whole lot of time to chat with her but she was affordable and the cake was moist and exactly as we imagined!

Hair/Makeup -- Hairoics ---  I wasn't sure throughout planning how I wanted my hair.  I grew it out hoping that I could wear it down, but having a beach wedding I wasn't sure if that would be the best bet as I didn't know how the weather/wind would be that day.  When I went in for my consultation with Elizabeth she said it was up to me but she could tell I was unsure so she tried to give the pros/cons.  She was terrific and so down to earth!  I ended up wearing it up and I couldn't have been happier!

Rentals ---  Ocean Atlantic ---  My experience with them was pretty good I'd say.  There were a couple of times where I had emailed them and didn't hear anything back, so I'd follow it up with a phone call and then was able to speak with someone on the phone.  Other than that it was fine.  I rented tables, chairs, tablecloths and linen napkins for the backyard recption and it went very smooth.   I did feel bad for some of my more hung over family and friends that got up early to tear down everything the next morning since the contract says the items have to be back in the driveway (where they were dropped off) by 8am the next morning.....if I would've had the money I would have paid for the set up/break down service just for that.

Officiant ---  Rev. Shirley Anne @ Carolina Wedding Co. ---  Let me just say she is as sweet as sweet can be!  I really enjoyed meeting with her but there were 2 small hiccups.  First she was 25 minutes late.....there was some sort of traffic delay which I can understand was not her fault BUT the thing about it was that I was not a nervous bride...my new husband and dated for almost 6 years before we got engaged.  But around noon the day of my wedding it happened....I got nervous and the butterflies started.  So when I got down to the ceremony site and had to sit in the car an extra 25 mintues I was freaking out a bit.  Also, the fact that I didn't rent chairs for our beach ceremony because it was going to be so short, my poor guests were standing down there waiting for it to start.  In fact, it turns out that everyone thought it was me having cold feet ---which is kind of a cute story.  THEN....when the ceremony started, she used both of our names correctly, until we got to the vows, ......wait for it......she turned to my husband and asked him to repeat after her "I take you Emily".....that's right folks.  My name is not Emily....she called me by the wrong name.  I have to say though, I love telling the story.  I didn't get mad about it and I just think I'll have a really cute story to tell our kids and our grandkids someday.  All in all Rev Shirley did a lovely job. 

Photography ---  Lauren Cowart ---  LOVE LOVE LOVE her!  She is actually the officiant's daughter.  They work together on some weddings but Lauren works on her own as well.  This was the one area I was willing to splurge on considering "photos last forever" and even though I've only seen a couple of the pics so far, they are AMAZING.  I really liked her style from what I saw on her website but I also liked that she has a young, fun flair about her work.  She listened to every single one of my "requests" and she had a ton of ideas herself which we loved! 

I would say if you're on a budget ---these vendors are definitely worth talking to and seeing if they're what you're looking for.  Also, if you're the kind of bride I was:  not into details, not really sure what to do/where to start/etc. ---these vendors can help.  Sorry this is so long but I hope this helps those in the planning stages!

Katie 

Re: Vendor Reviews 10-8-11....finally! Sorry --kinda long!

• edited December 2011

Katie or should I say Emily (hahahha, just kidding)-

Congratulations!!  Sounds like it was a lovely wedding.  Thanks for all the reviews and best wishes!!

• mccann58mccann58 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks!

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for the reviews... I love Lauren's photography work too... but I've emailed her and Rev Shirley (2 times) with no response.  I guess I'll try calling on Monday, but can you give me an idea how much Lauren charges - I'm trying to see if she's within my budget or not.  Thanks!
    edited December 2011
    jendtennis - I'm not really sure why they haven't gotten back to you, but I would just stay on them.  I know Lauren is so extremely busy with photo shoots.  After my wedding I friended her biz on FB and it looks like she has one shoot after another all the time.  She is totally worth it!  As for price  --about $2k for the more basic package of 4 hours which is what I got.  I think that it technically is a little higher than some of the other photogs on the OBX, but personally photography was the one area I was willing to splurge.  I would like to add, though, that I was able to negotiate with every single one of my vendors so even though I paid one amount doesn't mean if you've got AWESOME negotiating skills, that you wouldn't be able to get an even lower price.  Go for it if you can get them on the phone!
  • edited December 2011
    Woodstock is a beautiful home. How did you handle transportation between the ceremony back to the house? did everyone just drive? I'm still up in the air about which home to go with. I thought oceanfront would be more convenient but from a budget standpoint not so great.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    edited December 2011
    Buttercup,
    A lot of people were staying at the house and some of the other guests came over before the wedding to help finish setting up so those folks were already parked at the house.  They all just walked over to the beach for the ceremony and then walked back to the house for the reception.  It's no more than a 5 minute walk.  Some other guests drove from the hotel down the street and parked at the Bainbridge beach access parking lot and I think a few of them left their car there during the reception and walked back to the house with some of the others that were walking.  There may have been a couple of people that drove from the beach access to the house for the reception.  My dad drove my photographer, my MOH, and myself down to the beach and that way we had a car to get myself and husband back to the house after we took all of our pics.  It helped that we had amazing weather.   I can definitely understand that oceanfront would be more convenient, and of course you would have the amazing views, but I also think it depends on how much yard space you're looking for to set up tables and such. Hope this helps!
  • DO NOT use Bells & Whistles for your wedding. Dorothy took a $500 deposit from me, ignored me until 3 weeks before my wedding, FINALLY sent me a proposal for flowers that included $3,000 of services we never discussed, told me that I cannot change our contract because it's too close to the wedding, charged me ANOTHER $500 to my credit card without my authorization, and did not do ANY flowers for my wedding. It took 6 weeks after my wedding to get a "refund" and Dorothy only sent me $150.00. This is THE WORST business I have ever dealt wiht, and was an absolute nightmare before my wedding.
  • who ended up doing your flowers?  i got a quote from bells and whistles for flowers and they seemed fairly responsive on the front end.  I sent pictures of what I wanted ahead of time.  their prices seem to be in line with the other quotes I have, but this is the one area i'm struggling to decide on.  flowers? decorator? event day coordinators? all in one company?  or DIY flowers....  any advice?
  • I used Sugar Snap for flowers.  They also do day of coordination, but I didn't really need it for our small wedding so I didn't price it. She gave three estimates/ideas for each category (bout, bouquet, tables, aisle, etc.) to really work with your budget.  She was also really responsive and I had no trouble planning long distance.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • I have a quote from SugarSnap too and Shirley has been great so far - she gave us lots of options also.  How small was your wedding?  We have 50 people and I guess more than coordination on the day of, I'm worried about setting up and breaking down the ceremony (chairs, arch, decorations, flowers) and the reception (tables, centerpieces, etc).  I feel like the ceremony setup/breakdown is totally out of my hands because I'll be getting ready before and taking pictures after (and so will all the wedding party).  But it's July on a public beach, so someone has to deal with all that and it has to happen pretty close to the event time!!  The reception I feel like we could setup in the morning (we're at an event home), but who's taking it all down before 8am the next morning when the rental companies want it back??  That's my big dilemma.  SugarSnap has options for all of that too.  I think what I'm leaning towards is SugarSnap for the bouquet and bouts and the ceremony decorations (aisle, chair coverings, arch) and for setup/breakdown of ceremony site, and breakdown of reception (if they'll break the costs down that way for me).  I might buy bulk flowers at HT to do the simple centerpieces myself for reception. And just leave out the event day coordination and wing it on that end!  Any advice from the brides who've done it this way is great!
  • We had 30 people at our wedding.  We used the ocean front restaurant in The Sea Ranch and were married on the public beach out front.  Shirley set up our bamboo/flower poles to be married under and decorated the aisle for us.  The rental company set up the chairs (Metro Rentals).  This was all done while I was getting ready.  My husband went over a little early to check things/make changes if needed, but it was perfect.  After the ceremony Shirley broke down the beach flowers and moved them inside for our reception.  The rental company came back and broke down and removed the chairs.  We had initially planned to do this ourselves with a few of the guys from the family, but ultimately decided it was worth the the extra money to have the rental company do it.  In the grand scheme of our budget, it was minimal and worth not having to deal with it.

As for our reception, we had planned to set up the evening before and finish early the morning of before I went into hair and makeup.  The restaurant ended up doing it for us and Shirley did the centerpieces.  The restaurant boxed everything up afterward and let us pick it up the following afternoon.  Shirley removed all of her stuff.

I think if you can afford to have the rental company deal with your chairs, then you'll be in good shape.  Shirley will take care of your flowers/decorations. I think the less you have to worry about, the better on the day of.  It's such a whirlwind and you deserve to enjoy it.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards