North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Catering cost per person?

Hello!

I'm trying to keep our small wedding within budget and am trading off expensive food/catering for providing housing for our family and friends during the week of our wedding.  That being said-

Would you be willing to share who you had your food catered through, rough idea of what you are getting and cost per person?

Just trying to get ballpark ranges before I start calling directly to some places that have great reviews!

Thanks so much!
Jessica
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Catering cost per person?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using Enchanted Cuisine-I think someone else on here is using them too- Gwen has been very easy to work with and worked within our budget.

We are having a fruit/veggie display, cheeses/crackers, spinach pinwheels, hot crab dip for hors d'eouvres - we are making our own shrimp cocktail to cut some cost
    Buffet dinner w/ crab cakes, chicken alfredo, and roast beef w/ a veggie and potato, includes salad and bread
    We hired a bartender through them for around $150 I think; cheapiest I have found.
    With all this, we are paying $45-50pp. We are providing all alcohol, mixers, soda, water, etc

hope this helps.
  • Options
    sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are not using a catering company but The Pearl Restaurant instead. They are costing us $45 a person, same as Krhoy. First, we will have cocktail hour with 3 different hors d'ouevres passed (still TBD). Then for dinner, we are having a buffet with a beef, pasta station & seafood option, and side dishes and salad of course. Their food is fantastic and tastes expensive. I hope we our guests will love it as much as we do. Tongue out
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    kolaughlin23kolaughlin23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Currituck BBQ for just a drop off service. We got a veggie tray, crab dip, and cheese and cracker tray for apps. Then pork BBQ, brisket, chicken, hush puppies, salad, potatoe salad, and iced tea for dinner. It cost about $17 per person.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm using the Black Pelican and they cost about $45 a person.  That is with 3 appetizers, cheese and fruit trays, steak, crab, salad and two sides.  They have been wonderful to work with!  Good luck with your search.  They also have $20 a head Bar-B-Que
  • Options
    llilleyllilley member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using Black Pelican Catering and are getting:

Fruit, veggie, cheese trays
    Passed cocnut shrimp
    Crab dip with pita points
    Salad and Cornbread
    Pulled pork, BBQ chicken, Buns
    Cole slaw, green beans, macaroni salad, corn on the cob
    Non-alcoholic drink
    Servers to assit with set up, attend guests, pour champagne, cut and pass cake, and assist with trash removal

This is $38.50/pp including tax and tip.  We're supplying our own alcohol, champage, and other beverage choices.  We are also getting a bar tender for $120 to serve our beer and wine.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank You to everyone who responded!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We are using Coastal Provisions and it's about $36 per plate.  That includes 3 different appetizers that will be passed during cocktail hour, a mixed salad, bread & butter, a served dinner with your choice of rosemary chicken, london broil or a vegetarian plate, with rosemary potatoes and green beans and also includes drinks such as water, soda & tea. 

• Options
    sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This thread makes me hungry.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm currently in a back-and-forth with my caterer about this, but she told me 2 differnt averages at 2 different times for what we were looking for (2 apps, 2 entrees, a salad, and veggie - buffet set-up) were either $33 or $25....  We managed to cut and scrape down to $25/person.  This does not include $150 for servers/bartendender and then tax and gratuity of course.  PS I used Enchanted Cuisine; once I hear back from her, I'll be able to confirm if I recommend or not! :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're using Black Pelican Catering and are getting:

Cocktail Hour - all stationary:
    Veggie tray
    Shrimp Cocktail
    Taquitos
    Chips
    Black Bean and Corn Salsa
    Cilantro lime salsa
    Guacamole

Dinner Buffet:
    Fajita Buffet - Chicken, Steak, Mahi Mahi
    Onions, mushrooms, peppers
    Refried beans
    Mexican Rice
    Sour Cream
    Tomatoes, onions, lettuce, olives, jalepenos, cheese, guacuamole, salsas
    Hard and soft shells
    White cheese queso dip with chips

Coffee Buffet
    All non alcoholic drinks
    All bar mixers and fruit
    All china, silverware, barware (all glass china - they have a cheaper "nice" plastics option - $5 less/person)
    All gratuities and taxes
    Bartender for 3 hours (we need to extend this to 5 1/2 hours)
    Servers to assit with set up, attend guests, pour champagne, cut and pass cake, and assist with trash removal

This is $60/pp including tax and tip.  We're supplying our own alcohol, including liquor, beer and wine. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    TCIGAL- thanks for the affordable suggestion- I am turning pale at the cost of catering. Yes I get it is a big deal, one time event, etc. But really, that is a lot of money when you break it down!

Please let me know how it goes 25ish will be more affordable and not give my father a coronary. He is all about the wedding but at the suggestion that people are spending 50+ per person he gets a little sweaty!

Not to mention as I shared above we are providing housing, special outings, and most of the meals the week of!

Thanks ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have not found a caterer I will use next year, but I did get a response from 1587 catering, Audra is the woman I spoke with and she sent a list of sample weddings and what they were served as well as price per person based on each menu... kind of helpful but basically everyone you go with will have a different price depending on what types of food you get.  It is expensive either way for catering but its def better than trying to do it yourself, at least for me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're using Lone Cedar Cafe.  Amy is really nice to work with, and is very accomodating to pricing out different items together to stay within a certain budget.  For 5 hours of service, its about $45pp, including tax, tips etc.  We are doing a buffet, which helped lower the cost a bit.

We're getting:

brushetta
    crab cakes
    prosciutto wrapped scallops

house salad
    parmesan chicken
    london broil
    green beans
    roasted red potatoes
    rolls and cornbread (they have REALLY good cornbread)

• Options
    rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using The Red Sky Cafe and Eric is wonderful to work with.  I told him what we had budgeted and he made it work.  Our menu consists of...

Spinach and Asiago Cheese Dip with Crostinis
    Cheese Tray with Crackers
    Fruit Display
    Southwest Caesar Salad
    Jerk Chicken and Pineapple Skewers
    Shrip Skewers
    Carribbean Coconut Rice to go with the skewers
    Gourmet Mac and Cheese
    Vegetable Skewers
    Rosemary and Herb Top Round of Beef with Rolls and Horseradish Sauce

All for about 32.00 pp including a server and Taxes.  All together we're paying $1891.00.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards