North Carolina-Outer Banks

Music Help!!

Can anyone help with info on what dj's they have picked?..Any info on "I Do" entertainment and Mary Basnight would be greatly appreciated!! thankss

Re: Music Help!!

• edited December 2011
    Well, OBX is using DJ John Harper who is so cool.  He has rave reviews.

Wedding Wire Bride's Choice Award 2010 and 2011

Best of The Knot 2008, 2009 and 2010

http://www.johnharperdj.com/
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Mike Smith (obxdj.com). We interviewed a few different DJs including John Harper, DJ Bruce & Mike Stoffel. (all on the assoc. website boderboo mentioned above). We felt like Mike S was the best fit for the personality, style and equip that we were looking for. It sounds like you were talking about Sue Artz and her husband? I never met with them because they were booked on my day but I've heard very good things about them.

We are using Ginger Harvey of GingerSnaps for Photography (gingersnapsphotos.com) and we LOVE her. My FI and I are not the type who love photos taken of us but Ginger immediately made us feel at ease and as if we had known her forever.

Hope this helps a little. For me, when choosing these vendors, it was all about a gut feeling. I think meeting in person if you can is really important before you make your choice.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check with Daniel Pullen.  They are a husband and wife team and I thought their pricing was pretty fair.  And artistic pictures.
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I have heard very good things about Daniel Pullen....but he was a little out of our price range.

I am using Doug & Michelle Harper from Outer Banks Productions and Doug is just fabulous!  I was on the phone with him for over an hour last week and I felt as if I had known him forever.

Like Sarah said, trust your gut instincts and go with that :)

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Interesting.  I got higher quotes from Outer Banks Productions.
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I think it was b/c I went to the wedding expo and if I booked by a certain date, the rates were a little cheaper and they threw in an extra hour and a 2nd photographer for free. 

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kate threw in an extra hour for us too.  But, I'll bet they had good deals at the Expo.  I threw this whole wedding together so fast, that the Expo was already past when I started planning.
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many hours did you ladies book your photogs for? We booked ours for 4 but I'm wondering if it will be long enough now.....
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    i'm looking at booking mine for about 5 or 6
  • edited December 2011
    I was up in the air between Daniel Pullen and Outer Banks Productions.  Both their work seems amazing, they were both quick to respond to my emails, they both worked with my budget.  In the end it just came down to whow as cheaper, and actually Outer Banks Productions ended up being like $600 cheaper, so I went with them.  We booked them for 4 hours.  I think it will be more than enough time.  We're not having a huge wedding, 30 people or less, so even if they're not there for the whole reception, I figured at that point, family and friends can just take pictures, and sometimes, those pictures are the best!
  • eeforbeseeforbes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

DJ Bruce is my future brother in law :)  He is awesome, and a GREAT dj!  He won't be doing our wedding for obvious reasons, but you should really really check him out. 

• edited December 2011
    Oh awesome! I am really excited to hear from him! Looks young and fun!
  • missdysmissdys member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Sue and Matt for my wedding in May, 2011. They were AWESOME to work with. Quick responses and totally on top of everything!

Sue was the violinist for my ceremony, the DJ for the reception and Matt was our photographer. The music was amazing and Sue even played Devil Went Down to Georgia as the last number of the night! It was amazing!

As for Matt, he was personable and fun to work with, and took amazing pictures! The return time was impecable compared to other high-end companies! To ensure I got the pictures I wanted, I told Matt & Sue what I exactly what I wanted and they made it happen. I requested shots that were unique, such as, a close up of the bride with her hand extended, and the groom in the palm of her hand. Matt captured that photo and it is one of the best pictures I've ever seen. I get comments on it daily! I got B&W and color shots, a full album, and 2 DVD's of photos that he took! I've reprinted tons via Walgreens and target and their images reprint great, too.

I was a plus size bride and extremely self conscious with my look. In every single pictures, I was laughing and completely at ease. He made me and the groom feel good and look good, and our pictures really capture the essence of the fun we had!

If you want to see samples of the work that he did, please let me message me and I'll send you samples of what they did for me.
    Remember my name. You'll be screaming it later.
  • karihigginskarihiggins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    rglasgow- Can I ask why you are unsure of the photos?  The reason why I ask is because I had Sue and Matt as my vendors for my wedding last summer.  Sue played the violin and was our DJ while Matt took the photos.  I can only speak for myself of course but I only have great things to say!

As far as the experience, I only had 4 months to plan a wedding, lived 2 hours away from our wedding location and had laryngitis for a good month of the planning.  So, I had to rely heavily on my research online and email.  I talked to many photographers who were just soooo expensive, especially on my tight budget!  For the Artz' 3 services, the two 8X10 prints and the completed album, it was about the same price as just a photography package elsewhere without the album.  I couldn't believe the prices so I checked them out on FB and talked to Sue and liked what I saw so I chose them.  Too me, there pictures were as good as others I have seen from friends getting married or other photographers' portfolios and they paid more.    Plus, Sue was so helpful helping me create a time table for everything and plan/give advice for the wedding when I asked for it.  She was quick in response (even when I was emailing at midnight) and that was not part of her job to do any of that but I was so appreciative!  They seem to eat, breath and live for the brides they are working with!

Our wedding took place with me getting ready in a hotel room, the ceremony was on the beach before the sunset and the reception was inside a reception hall.  I think lighting plays a big roll in how good pictures are and Matt had to work in a lot of different elements.  I was pleasantly surprised when we received our pictures and an album already completed for us!  The last several people I knew that were married before me, had to go online to an account to see their pictures and order prints of which ones they wanted but I was sent the copyright to all the pictures.  They were clear and Matt really made the colors of the girls' dresses and my flowers pop.  He also made the sunset pictures that I really wanted crisp and clear even though the sunset was on the other side of a sand dune.  In our pictures, there were some that were in both color and black and white while others were the ones touched up but we still got the original so we had options on which ones we would like the best...the original or one touched up to highlight something in particular.

I have shown the pictures to family and friends who were able to make it as well as others who were not and I have only received great compliments on how much they love the pictures.  My brother even took one picture and drew it for us for Christmas.  I have also rotated several through my FB profile picture and had compliments on them and how beautiful they look.  Again, I can only speak for myself and my experience but I was very pleased with the pictures and music, especially for what I paid!  If I had to do it again, I would chose them again...I can't imagine paying double or even triple the money for less quality and pictures.
  • karihigginskarihiggins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and I forgot to say too that Matt was more than willing to give ideas for photos but also listen and eager to capture any that you want as well!  Sue also sent me a link to one of the magazines that featured a picture that Matt took from our wedding. :)
  • mccann58mccann58 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using Lauren Cowart (affiliated with both Carolina Wedding Co. and Julie Dreelin).....she is so sweet and I absolutely love looking at her pictures.  She's very creative and has an natural eye for detail.  I booked her for 4 hours but am in the same boat...wondering if I should book her for 1-2 more hours.

The music situation is still TBD.  ARGH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards