North Carolina-Outer Banks

Suggested OBX reception sites.

I'm looking to get married in June 2013. I've been scouring all the OBX websites to find the right recpetion site for us, but planning from Mississippi has left us with a lot of questions. Does anyone have any recommendations? We're probably going to have 75-100 guests. Again, I've looked at endless websites, but would really like any personal recommendations that you might have. Thanks so much!

Re: Suggested OBX reception sites.

• Welcome!  What type of reception site are you looking for?  Are you wanting an event home, or just a place for the night.  I am using an event home called the Love Boat, that is sound side in Hatteras.  Many of the brides on the board have used Budleigh, which is just a rental for the night.  Both of these places will hold that many people.

• Hi there!!

You will find endless recommendations on this website - everyone is so helpful!  Do you have any particular venues you are interested in or wondering about? 

We are getting married in June of this coming year, and we chose to have our reception at Aqua Restaurant in Duck.  We are having probably between 80-110 guests.  I think the first decision to make probably is whether to do an event house or not.  There are many people on here doing those and many who are not, so you can get opinions on everything!!!

I know for me I decided it would be too much planning for me personally to do an event house and that it might stress me out.  I just wanted to "show up at the party," as much as possible.  But I did really like the idea of having a sort of personalized laid back party. 

Anyways if you have any questions about Aqua let me know.  It is on the sound side with great views and a lot of cool decks out over the water. We are doing a sit down dinner and the owner is awesome to work with - the food rocks.

Good luck!
  • If you're leaning away from a house, the aquarium comes to mind.  They do packages for weddings of all sizes and were very on top of things when I looked into them.  They'll email you pictures from past weddings and give you a personal tour if you ever make it into town.  You have a couple ceremony locations to pick from there as well, including on the lawn that overlooks the sound that would be really pretty a sunset.  The only reason I didn't pick it was because I was set on a beach ceremony, which they can't do being on the sound.

I was married at the restaurant inside The Sea Ranch hotel.  It was the perfect size for a smaller wedding and oceanfront so you can get married right on the beach.  But, it is currently switching over to new owners so I can't really say how that will go.

Finally, as PP mentioned there's Budleigh.  It's less beachy, so it all just depends on what you're going for.  Manteo is so charming though.

I hope you stick around and give us more details.  We'd love to help you out!

06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2012

Congratulations and welcome! 

At the top of the board, read the sticky note and you will find lots of helpful info there, which will list venues, caterers, photographers, etc.  Very helpful for the newer brides :)

PP's have mentioned some great ideas!  I was torn between an event home or vene and decided to go with a venue b/c for me, there was too much involved in an event home and the non-refundable "event fees" they charge on top of the rental can be outrageous.  There are definitely affordable event homes out there and some pretty amazing ones to have a fabulous wedding, but for me, a venue just worked for our budget.

There are a lot of venues to choose from throughout OBX all the way from Duck/Corolla to Manteo and even further south into Hatteras.  I really wanted an oceanfront reception but The Hilton Pier House was booked for my date, Jennette's Pier wasn't even finished at the time but is soooooo pretty and The Sea Ranch is where my SIL was married a few years ago and I wanted something of my very own and that is how I ended up booking with 108 Budleigh.  They do not have a lot of OF reception sites, so I started looking inland and when I saw 108 BL, I fell in love. 

Like Teach said, the NC Aquarium can hold a large amount of people and makes for a beautiful and natural backdrop.  I think it would be so neat to have a reception there!

Were you leaning towards an event home or a venue?  What kind of feel are you going for?

Feel free to ask any questions you may have along the way.  A lot of us are married, some are still planning but all of us can offer advice and suggestions along the way to help you out. 

Any chance you are going to the wedding expo this coming weekend?  That is the absolute best way to see everything all at once. 

• Another option, and I know that OBX did this too, is to get married on the beach, but then transport guests to a reception site.  I am getting married at 108 Budleigh as well.  We will get married on the beach in front of our event home and then transport our guests to the reception in Manteo.  Another  option, if you want to avoid transport costs (well you could make your guests drive, but we didn't want that) is the Cypress House Inn.  This was my choice before we found Budleigh.  It is a six room B&B.  It is right across the street from a public beach access (approx. 125ft) and is very cute.  With that, if you are worried about rain, you will have the cost of a tent as well. 

Planning from afar is a lot of work - but if you just take it step by step its not too overwhelming.  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I'm getting married at Jennette's Pier in April of 13.  I chose it because I didn't want an outdoor wedding (since April can be chilly), but I love the ocean views.  It can hold up to 175 people.

Budleigh is also a great choice and the owners are super friendly and helpful.

Like PP have said, let us know what type of venue you're looking for (event home, restaurant, oceanfront v soundside or a specific town) and we can help you out.
  • We looked at Cypress House Inn as well (can fit 30x60 tent). My SIL had her wedding at The Saltaire. She got married on the grounds, so I'm not sure about the beach situation there. We got married at First Colony Inn, but I would not recommend it if you are budget-conscious or if you want to be in touch with the inn any time before 2 weeks out. We had a lot of communication issues (not as bad as what I've heard about comunications with The Pearl though!).
  • We're getting married at Mallards Marsh. The wedding is on the beach and the reception is at Mallards Marsh, which is within walking distance. They also supply all the chairs for the ceremony as well as the reception
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We're getting married at The Whalehead Club. We have a large wedding - 300 people but they do weddings of all sizes. It does get pricey with the tent rentals and such but once we visiting and saw how gorgeous it was - we didn't want to go anywhere else. I just went to a wedding this past summer at the HIlton Garden Inn Pier and it was a cool venue - feel like you are floating above the water. I also thought Budleigh was super cute!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_suggested-obx-reception-sites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:44f04e84-36fc-4a63-9191-012613e181a0Post:216f31c1-a2e4-41fa-b429-519559dd69f1">Re: Suggested OBX reception sites.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi there!! You will find endless recommendations on this website - everyone is so helpful!  Do you have any particular venues you are interested in or wondering about?  We are getting married in June of this coming year, and we chose to have our reception at Aqua Restaurant in Duck.  We are having probably between 80-110 guests.  I think the first decision to make probably is whether to do an event house or not.  There are many people on here doing those and many who are not, so you can get opinions on everything!!! I know for me I decided it would be too much planning for me personally to do an event house and that it might stress me out.  I just wanted to "show up at the party," as much as possible.  But I did really like the idea of having a sort of personalized laid back party.  Anyways if you have any questions about Aqua let me know.  It is on the sound side with great views and a lot of cool decks out over the water. We are doing a sit down dinner and the owner is awesome to work with - the food rocks. Good luck!
    Posted by eeforbes[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Congrats on your upcoming wedding (or maybe you already had it?)!!  I'm planning for June 2013 and we are from Ohio.  I totally agree with you, I want to show up for the party not plan it all at my event home...way too stressful!!  I would love any info or pics you have!  Send me a private message and I can give you my email address if you would like.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks!</div><div>Nicole

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_suggested-obx-reception-sites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:44f04e84-36fc-4a63-9191-012613e181a0Post:216f31c1-a2e4-41fa-b429-519559dd69f1">Re: Suggested OBX reception sites.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi there!! You will find endless recommendations on this website - everyone is so helpful!  Do you have any particular venues you are interested in or wondering about?  We are getting married in June of this coming year, and we chose to have our reception at Aqua Restaurant in Duck.  We are having probably between 80-110 guests.  I think the first decision to make probably is whether to do an event house or not.  There are many people on here doing those and many who are not, so you can get opinions on everything!!! I know for me I decided it would be too much planning for me personally to do an event house and that it might stress me out.  I just wanted to "show up at the party," as much as possible.  But I did really like the idea of having a sort of personalized laid back party.  Anyways if you have any questions about Aqua let me know.  It is on the sound side with great views and a lot of cool decks out over the water. We are doing a sit down dinner and the owner is awesome to work with - the food rocks. Good luck!
    Posted by eeforbes[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Congrats on your upcoming wedding (or maybe you already had it?)!!  I'm planning for June 2013 and we are from Ohio.  I totally agree with you, I want to show up for the party not plan it all at my event home...way too stressful!!  I would love any info or pics you have!  Send me a private message and I can give you my email address if you would like.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks!</div><div>Nicole

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards