North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Square vs. Round

Ok so for some reason I love the look of longer more rectangular tables, maybe connected maybe not.  But my groomzilla and parents do not like that idea at all.  They think that all the tables should be round.  Now we are setting these up hopeully in the backyard of our rental home and I just think round is such a waste of space.  Also much like many DIY brides my mom and I will be doing the centerpieces and I always hate the look of a little centerpiece and then all this empy space people fill with rose petals or something.  Am I crazy?  Should I just go and make the fam happy?  Any advice from the post wedding brides?

Re: Square vs. Round

• Options
    jendem8jendem8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No you're not crazy.  And do what YOU want.  I was at a backyard wedding a few weeks ago with a tent and long rectangular tables, and it made a lot of sense (though they didn't have placecards, which I kind of liked with the rectangular tables).  It's your wedding and you know what vision you have for it.  Also, I agree with you on the centerpiece thing.  On long, rectangular tables, I think it looks nice when the heights of centerpieces are varied.  And simple is always better... no rose petals (though votive candles can always be a nice "filler" - and runners look great on rectangular tables).

I'm not post-wedding, but I've stood up to the in-laws on a couple of major things.  It's important that you can handle these issues maturely (you don't want to damage your relationship), but make sure to stand your ground.

Here's a pic I found.  It has different heights of centerpieces and a cool, patterned runner (which you could DIY if you know anyone who sews).

image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    islandgirl420islandgirl420 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the long tables too!  My fiance does not agree, but depending on how much space we have, he may not have a choice.  Sorry, I'm not post- wedding either, but I think you should stand up for the things that you care about. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did round. I like the round tables better.  I think it encourages more coversation during the reception.

• Options
    rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also like the round tables.  I think it creates more space to move around and talk to everyone.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I have to agree with the round...it makes it easier for your guests to converse with one another.  BUT...it is your wedding so you have to do what makes YOU happy...as long as it doesn't ruffle too many feathers :)

• Options
    edited December 2011

We are doing round tables for guests but a long banquet table for ourselves and the wedding party and their dates.  I wanted a long banquet table because I don't want a sweetheart table.  I will feel like everyone is starring at me while we eat.  LOL.  However, I also didn't want to force my wedding party to separate from their significant others because there wasn't enough space.

Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    islandgirl420islandgirl420 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like that idea Keb!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    At the Sanderling we will have no choice in the matter, I believe, as I THINK we are going with long tables.  The space we are using is limited, so we have to roll with it! :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did both, but it was only 3 tables.  I personally like to sit at rectangle tables at weddings because I am not very talkative and I don't have to talk to the people at the other end if I don't want to.  (Gosh I sound terrible) 
    Lisa Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards