North Carolina-Outer Banks

Gypsy Weddings Show

Has anyone else seen this show? I think it's on TLC. They had some episodes on yesterday and it was CRAZY!! The dresses these brides and their bridesmaids were wearing...all I can say is WOW. And not a good WOW. Holy tulle and tacky explosions! And the brides were all like 16 years old. One of the fathers was saying how his 19 year old daughter was OLD to be getting married in their culture! It was maybe the weirdest show I've ever seen. I did have some fun trying to convince my FI (who was watching with his mouth stuck open) that my dress looked "kinda like" one of the biggest most hideous tulle explosions they had. LOL I am so mean :)
Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Gypsy Weddings Show

• edited December 2011
    My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding?? Ahhhh! I thought I was the only one who had seen this show, I just can't look away when its on! Have you seen the kids dance at the wedding? Whoa...

The brides seem to have a blast though, and I guess thats what its all about at your wedding, no? Its interesting though that they expect scars from their dress out of the sheer weight on their hips and all I can think about is whether I will be comfortable being in my dress for hours... It just goes to show you that every culture is different!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh my, I watched one of the shows yesterday and was also aghast.  When the designer said that she could not divulge the cost of one of the dresses, I googled and found that they cost from 15,000-20,000 pounds = US$ 24,000-33,000.  I remember the one mom saying that they save all their live for this.

But I must say that they seem to be very loyal and honest with each other.  It is sad that they are so discriminated against.   
  • JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG, watched the entire marathon yesterday with the FI!  It was GREAT! 
  • mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I watched too.  It's like a train wreck, you just can't stop watching.  One girl couldn't even get down the stairs her dress was so big.  Reminds me of the time my dad built a workbench in the basement and couldn't get it out.  It sold with the house.

I'll bet there are no clowns at these weddings though...

Funny thing is they are religious Catholics, yet parade these young girls around in these skimpy outfits.  Very much an oxymoron.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards