North Carolina-Outer Banks

Unity Sand

Are any of you doing this?  Brent and I are and was curious if any of you know a good place to buy the colored sand, I would need teal & tangerine.  Also, what kind of container did you decide to use?

ETA:  I am considering this vase:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Unity+Sand&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GPEA_enUS313&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=549&wrapid=tlif131308347164010&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11764806281042362348&sa=X&ei=eBBEToK1CtKSgQe9wY3cCQ&ved=0CJEBEPMCMAQ#

Re: Unity Sand

• edited December 2011
    Love those vases.
  • tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Those are beautiful.  I actually just bought ours, and randomly enough, it was on Amazon.  I got the sand there too (light blue & white).  Our colors are light blue, bold blue, apple green, but for the unity sand, I want to have it in the house as a decoration and memory, so didn't want the bold blues/green from our wedding colors, so just picked a "muted version".   I'm not sure they had those colors, but a lot of times Amazon will have a link to the retailer itself, which may help?  I just searched "sand ceremony".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I love those vases! I've been trying to find something that wasn't part of a $60 set. 

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Russo.....that same website also offers the same vase with engraving, such as your names and wedding date, at no additional charge :)

Thanks for the tip about Amazaon Tci

• edited December 2011
    Kel tried to explain this to me.  I'm still clueless. :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing a sand ceremony, I have yet to buy the vases.  Its on my to do list.  I seem to find alot of them without corks, so I don't know how that will work??  Also, as far as buying sand, I can't find any sand that isn't in bulk?  Anyone know where to buy sand, but not like 5 pounds of it??!!!
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sand came with my sand ceremony kit.  I got it off if The Knot when they were having a big sale.  Ours came with 3 small cylinders, which is nice, because my fiance has a son and I want him to be a part of the sand ceremony.  However, when they arrived, one of the little cylinders was broken.  I contacted The Knot, and because it was a personalized order, they had to send me a whole new set.  So now I have 2 big vases and 5 little ones... I guess I'll put the other vase somewhere with some flowers in it, or on the candy/cookie table!
    image June 22, 2012
  • mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wanted something that would look nice at my house.  This is what I'm using:

• edited December 2011
    chrissie- you could pour melted wax over the top of the sand to seal it in bc most don't have corks, I think that's what I am going to do..
  • tergitergi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Daughter used 2 shells to scoop up sand from the place where they stood.  Very moving ceremony.  I thought the colored sand would be good, but that was much more meaningful. This idea came from the minister.  We can't claim it:)

• mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    mpar- how's it going down there?! :)

I've thought about colored sand and I've thought about using the sand where we're standing.... I like the colored sand, but at the same time, it's not the beach sand that I love so much. However, if I use the beach sand ... can it get funky in the vase? Will it get moldy or funky from being in the vase over time?
  • edited December 2011
    btw, mpar- that vase is gorgeous! Where did you find it?
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    @tergi, my fiance and I are going to use colored sand and his son is going to scoop up sand from where we stand. 
    image June 22, 2012
  • varedbirdvaredbird member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used the following vase, it does have a cork. The seller will etch your name and date on the bottle.  I love mine!
    I also read a tip about stuffing the top with cotton balls to keep sand in place while traveling.  We bought our sand at Michael's, not a good selection of colors though. 

http://www.etsy.com/listing/67773680/personalized-unity-sand-ceremony-set?ref=v1_other_1

• edited December 2011
    I'm going for an apothocary(sp) jar. They come in so many sizes with lids so I can pick a smaller taller one and yay! I also thought about adding in some shells, etc as things you need for marriage "joy, love, trust". We also are considering having our parents pour the foundation in our container as they were the foundation of our life...

I also picked up two small pouring glasses at Pier 1 for 2 bucks on clearance to pour into our jar. 

Lots of ideas brewing!

Take care, 
    Jessica
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tergitergi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_unity-sand?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:63255e73-d95b-44f9-8b9c-b5317ce406f6Post:1b00ede5-a1fa-42d4-b7f0-97b97d812a87">Re: Unity Sand</a>:
    [QUOTE]@tergi, my fiance and I are going to use colored sand and his son is going to scoop up sand from where we stand. 
    Posted by jendem8[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a great alternative.  I like that idea!
  • tergitergi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is a pic of their vase and ceremony.  Soninlaw's mom got the vase for them engraved with a passage from their first dance song for a shower present.  Just bagged up the sand to take home so it would not spill.

• jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    Awesome pic... thanks for sharing!
    image June 22, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_unity-sand?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:63255e73-d95b-44f9-8b9c-b5317ce406f6Post:6b8d150b-575e-42df-935f-6e63efccb7d7">Re: Unity Sand</a>:
    [QUOTE]mpar- how's it going down there?! :) I've thought about colored sand and I've thought about using the sand where we're standing.... I like the colored sand, but at the same time, it's not the beach sand that I love so much. However, if I use the beach sand ... can it get funky in the vase? Will it get moldy or funky from being in the vase over time?
    Posted by TeachLibrary[/QUOTE]

Yes, it can.  You really need to make sure it's totally dry and then you'll be fine. That might mean taking it out of the vase and letting it dry out after the ceremony if it had any moisture in it at all.  I learned that the hard way a few years ago. :)

We didn't do a sand ceremony, but when DH went back the next day he found a few of our aisle petals still stuck in the sand.  He scooped some sand with the petals and we made a krafty blok with a few shells from the beach too when we came home.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Unity Sand:
     We didn't do a sand ceremony, but when DH went back the next day he found a few of our aisle petals still stuck in the sand.  He scooped some sand with the petals and we made a krafty blok with a few shells from the beach too when we came home.
    Posted by ms_teach[/QUOTE]

Aww.... that almost just made me cry for some reason. (I'm such a sap these past few days.) That would be so neat to wake up the next day, walk along the beach and see those petals.
  • edited December 2011
    Ok, I found my sand today.  Believe it or not, at petsmart.  They have sand for fish tanks and what not, and I got blue and white sand there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards