North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Black Pelican vs Coastal Provisions

I am trying to decide between Coastal Provisions and Black Pelican for catering.  I have gotten similar estimates from them both, so we were hoping to decide from a tasting, since we haven't eaten at either place.  Unfortunately Black Pelican won't do a tasting until we have booked.  Food is really important to me, and I feel a bit uncomfortable deciding without trying.  Does anyone have any experience with either one?

Re: Black Pelican vs Coastal Provisions

• Options
    We're using Black Pelican for our wedding in October. Emily has been great to work with. She is very responsive and thorough. We had our tasting last week and loved everything. After we booked and decided on our menu, they let us taste 5 options from the menu we picked. We love eating at Black Pelican Restaurant, and I would say the food seemed pretty comparable since they use the same chefs. Obviously we haven't seen their performance at an actual wedding yet, so hopefully some of the others can help with that. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I second black pelican.  Their food was amazing! We really enjoyed meeting with Emily. She listened to what we wanted and we decided the menu together.  We will be doing our official tasting in a few weeks. 
  • Options
    Since Black Pelican wouldn't allow for a tasting without booking first, I put them low on my list. I am actually using Coastal Provisions for my reception in September. We went with a laid back feel and are having BBQ, chicken, and a ton of sides- everything we sampled at the tasting was AMAZING. Kelly and Scott are great to work with and are flexible.
    Although I love eating at the Black Pelican, I just couldn't bring myself to signing before trying. I think either way you go, the food will be delicious! Good luck!
  • Options
    Myself and several others have used Coastal Provisions and they were fabulous!!  I very very highly recommend the rosemary chicken with Dan's very own pesto aioli sauce.  It normally doesn't include the sauce, but he did that special for our tasting I guess and we loved it so much, that we asked if he could do it for the reception and he was more than happy too!  We heard about how great the food was for weeks after our wedding and it made me feel so good to know that our guests enjoyed it as much as we did. 

Were you planning to do a tasting with Coastal?  If so, I would have dinner one night at Black Pelican and try to order some items similar to your reception menu and then do your tasting at Coastal the following afternoon, so that you can really get a "taste" for both of them.

• Options
    I used the Black Pelican and they were amazing!  They have numrous menu options and price points, a wonderful staff and were great with communicating with me.  They went above and beyond at our wedding to make my guests happy.  And the food is delicious!
  • Options
    I booked with Black Pelican!  Can't wait for my tasting in May!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards