Completely crushed :( Long, sorry!
My fiance and I booked a fabulous honeymoon at the Sandals Royal Bahamian last May. Since it was more than a year before the wedding we got AWESOME deals. We are paying for our honeymoon, a portion of the wedding, and are looking into buying a house. We've decided that we REALLY want to buy - not rent. Now that we have spent a lot of time looking at the numbers, it's going to be a lot harder than anticipated. With the honeymoon and airfare, we are looking at $6,000. We are going to be busting our butts to come up with just that - it is going to be impossible to get together a down payment. I looked into cancellations policies and it says that if you cancel within 45 to 39 days of the trip, all you need to forfeit is your deposit (which in this case is $400). This is obviously further than 45 days, so I am wondering if we can get it all back. Regardless, we are thinking that we need to call off the honeymoon. We are both really upset, especially me.
Is it crazy to do something like this? I just feel like it's irresponsible to go on this elaborate trip if we can't even afford a home. We did agree that either way we are taking that week off and spending it together (I teach so I am off then anyway). A couple relatives have homes down the shore or in the Poconos so we are hoping we could maybe stay at their places (if they aren't rented). Not sure yet.
I know this is long, but I am just so disappointed. I feel like today is the day I officially became a "grown up."