North Carolina-Outer Banks

Event fee for tiny family-only wedding in an event home?

Hi all!

I've been lurking for awhile and decided to ask those of you with lots of experience a few questions about getting married in the OBX.

We've been engaged for a few months and decided we should probably start planning. We're both grad students living in two different countries and have a small budget, so we decided we wanted to do a family-only, very small wedding somewhere on the Outer Banks (my fiance goes to school in NC while myself and all of our family lives in Canada). We're planning to do something super low-key next March, with a short ceremony on the beach or inside the home if it's too cold and then a catered dinner for the 10-12 of us. No big party or DJ or anything like that.

We've had our eye on Twiddy's Rendezvous house, but are thrown off by the event fee ($1,200). Does anyone have any experience specifically with Twiddy in terms of whether the event fee is enforced for such a small wedding? Given that we're attempting to keep the whole deal (except travel) between $5000 and $6000, such a huge amount for an event fee seems, well, crazy. Are there any companies that are known to let small weddings happen without an event fee (or are there any who still don't have an event fee?)? We have zero preference to which area, only that we'd like oceanfront or at least oceanside.

Thank you!

Re: Event fee for tiny family-only wedding in an event home?

• I think, if your total guest count is lower than what is "allowed" to stay in the house, you don't have to worry about it. Most houses allow between 10-20 people to stay in them on a weekly basis, and I would think if you stay under that count, you would be fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agreed Philly.  Since you are having such a small amount of people, I don't see why you would need to rent an event home and pay extra for it.  Like Philly said, the rule of thumb is that you are allowed as many guests as the house can sleep.

There are tons of companies that rent OF (oceanfront) homes that will accommodate you and your family quite easily.  I would look into the following rental companies, and you can easily specify your date, how many bedrooms and oceanfront to see what they have coming open.  Keep in mind though that some of the rental agencies will only show you what they have left open for the remainder of 2012, which means you may not be able to get a price online for a March 2013 home, but you can just call them to see what the rates are for this year.  I would just go through and find a bunch of homes that appeal to you and then narrow down your choices:

Seaside Vacations
    Resort Realty
    Village Realty
    Twiddy (mainly serves Duck & Corolla areas)
    Joe Lamb Jr. Realty
    Sun Realty
    Beach Realty
    Stan White Realty

If you are worried about the weather being a littly chilly in March, which it probably will be during that time of year, you could always do an April or May ceremony before the peak season rates kick in mid-May.

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_event-fee-for-tiny-family-only-wedding-in-an-event-home?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:95c14757-cb5b-4fcc-b628-658d52f4279bPost:82d393e4-bfcb-45a0-b69d-2f13d6086215">Re: Event fee for tiny family-only wedding in an event home?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I thought the rule was you didn't have to pay an event fee if you had less than the number of people allowed to stay in the house</strong> but my wedding plans were almost altered because at Resort Realty that isn't the case with all people you talk to!  I called Twiddy and asked if that was the policy for one of their homes and was told that was fine but then I changed my mind and wanted to stay in a Resort Realty home.  I called them and was told the same thing so I went ahead and booked with them and paid my deposit.  A few days later I called to see if it would be possible when I came down to see the house and the guy asked me if I was having a wedding.  I responded with "Yes, but there will be less than 19 people and I was told that since the house will accomodate 19 I wouldn't have to pay an event fee".  He said no that isn't true, you will have to pay a $2000 event fee.  I was in tears I couldn't afford that additional fee, many of my guests had already taken off work and made plans to come and then he told me they couldn't even give me my deposit back.  I cried and worried about it for a few days and called back asking to speak to a manager.  Luckily, Lesley was able to ok it for me and everything worked out!  She told me when she approved it that they would be sending someone out during the wedding to check on the number of people.  Nobody ever came knocking at the door but there was a car that came by really slow and looked like they could have been checking up on us.  I would suggest not to ever mention the word wedding and you should be fine!
    Posted by branfrog1[/QUOTE]

Oops!  I meant that as long as the guest count was lower than what the house can sleep.  Sorry bout that!

It sounds like Resort Realty was jerking your chain a bit....or either ALL of us have had it wrong this entire time, lol.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_event-fee-for-tiny-family-only-wedding-in-an-event-home?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:95c14757-cb5b-4fcc-b628-658d52f4279bPost:eaa472eb-ac64-4978-9075-fa0305748e6b">Re: Event fee for tiny family-only wedding in an event home?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think, if your total guest count is lower than what is "allowed" to stay in the house, you don't have to worry about it. Most houses allow between 10-20 people to stay in them on a weekly basis, and I would think if you stay under that count, you would be fine.
    Posted by ksj10032782[/QUOTE]

And Kel, I know I said "agree with Philly" when it was really you posting, but you two are one in the same to me :)

• I actually asked that same question of Twiddy as well as a number of other rental agencies and was told that if you have a wedding there, you're paying the fee regardless if your guest count is less than the number of people the house can sleep.  I was told it was for insurance purposes if there was damage?? I agree with what branfrog suggested for you not to mention the word wedding AT ALL.  I would also suggest not calling attention to the wedding by having a tent in the yard a catering truck in the driveway etc.  Just keep in simple :)  I would even say for you to tell vendors (if you work with any) that this is a family reunion or something...
  • I'd say be honest and only go with a rental company that will waive the fee for only 10-12 people.  I think one other knottie has had experience with being charged the event fee AFTER the wedding, which they have the right to do.  I'd want to avoid that if I were the bride in this situation.  I really like Village Realty, try them!  Also, OBX Blue doesn't have event homes, so they don't charge event fees.  Ask them if you'd be allowed to have 10-12 people and a private (small) catered dinner. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_event-fee-for-tiny-family-only-wedding-in-an-event-home?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:95c14757-cb5b-4fcc-b628-658d52f4279bPost:c95d3dac-9783-47a2-b448-81ec0c38cf3f">Re: Event fee for tiny family-only wedding in an event home?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually asked that same question of Twiddy as well as a number of other rental agencies and was told that if you have a wedding there, you're paying the fee regardless if your guest count is less than the number of people the house can sleep.  I was told it was for insurance purposes if there was damage?? I agree with what branfrog suggested for you not to mention the word wedding AT ALL.  I would also suggest not calling attention to the wedding by having a tent in the yard a catering truck in the driveway etc.  Just keep in simple :)  I would even say for you to tell vendors (if you work with any) that this is a family reunion or something...
    Posted by WedOBX2012[/QUOTE]

We rented a non-event home through Village Realty and they knew that we were having a ceremony there and that it was on the beach, but made it very very clear that we were NOT having the reception there and they were fine with it.

There is not a single thing the rental company can do if you have your ceremony on the beach as it is public and even if the home is OF, the homeowner and the rental agency have no grounds when it comes to the public beach in front of the house.

• Hi I actually just got married at Rendezvous and wanted to give you are warning.  I paid the event fee and they said it was to pump the septic tank.  Well the toilets backed up all week.  I had the emergency plumbers out to the house 3 times.  The owner is selling the house and pretty much does not care to put any money into maintaining it.  My father is actually thinking of taking the owner to court.  I would definately look at another home if I were you!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_event-fee-for-tiny-family-only-wedding-in-an-event-home?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:95c14757-cb5b-4fcc-b628-658d52f4279bPost:2b97d1b8-4a7f-403e-b817-45f78efc318e">Re: Event fee for tiny family-only wedding in an event home?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi I actually just got married at Rendezvous and wanted to give you are warning.  I paid the event fee and they said it was to pump the septic tank.  Well the toilets backed up all week.  I had the emergency plumbers out to the house 3 times.  The owner is selling the house and pretty much does not care to put any money into maintaining it.  My father is actually thinking of taking the owner to court.  I would definately look at another home if I were you!
    Posted by delilahjz[/QUOTE]

Awwww!  That's a really crappy situation :)

• I work for a vacation rental company on the Outer Banks.  PLEASE, PLEASE speak to the rental manager when making your reservation.  Explain to them exactly what your plans are. If they say it's ok to rent the house for your wedding and not pay the special event fee (due to not over-occupying), please get that in writing...again, from the rental manager, not a reservationist - as that person may not even still be working there when your event happens.
    Yes, I have seen cases where it worked out fine for everyone, but I've also seen a bride get evicted on her wedding day because the homeowner got wind of a wedding happening and insisted they be evicted. 
  • Wow, I forgot I had posted and you all have been very helpful in my absence!

There seems to be conflicting info about whether it counts as a 'special event' or not, which makes it so hard to decide what to do. While I'm tempted to go ahead and do what some have suggested, with just not mentioning that it's a wedding, I'd feel pretty nervous. At the same time, I think it's a bit ridiculous because there's absolutely no difference between what we're hoping to do for a wedding and between a family having a vacation at the home and having a catered meal dropped off. That makes it really hard to swallow the event fee. Literally the only 'wedding' thing we'll do in the house is eat - no tents, no dj or dance floor, no bartenders, etc.

I've been searching non-stop for homes that look nice and suit our needs both number and $$-wise. I guess I'll have to try and get in touch with specific companies and see if any are willing to waive the fee or have no problem with what we're planning to do.

Thank you all for your advice! And delilahjz, thanks for the specific info about Rendezvous - and so sorry about your experience!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards