North Carolina-Outer Banks

Heavy hors d'oeuvres vs dinner

Anyone have heavy hors d'oeuvres instead of a dinner? How do they compare with price? Did guests like it?

Re: Heavy hors d'oeuvres vs dinner

• I decided to do heavy hors d'oeuvres just recently. It is going to save a LOT on cost, but you defintiely have to shop around. Some places will try to find a way to nickle and dime you.

I attended a wedding in Raleigh where the food was the same way and I loved it. I enjoy the casual, friendly feel it gives.

As my mom put it, "big men like your dad will eat and eat and eat if they can, but they don't need to." As long as there is plenty of food, I don't see any issue.
  • Being a destination wedding, I wanted to make sure everyone that make the trip had a nice meal and plenty to drink. Catering was one of the most important things to me. So, only a full dinner served my needs.
  • We did heavy hors d'oeuvres + prime rib with Red Sky. My husband and I both love food and really enjoy the whole 'grazing' experience... plus, we had a small wedding and really wanted it to be one big house party/ cocktail party. It was a little bit of a tough sell for my traditional parents, but we appeased them with the prime rib (which was delicious). It worked out really well - and Red Sky is amazing - everyone raved about the food!

We also did 'late-night' munchies - mini pizzas, chips and dips, sliders, etc., also provided by Red Sky. This was a HUGE hit too. 
  • We're opting for heavy hors d'oeurves instead of a plated dinner, because we want the whole event to just have a laid back party feel - even though we're going to have about 200 people.
  • dwfangirl, how did you serve your hors d'oeuvres.  Did you actually have servers walking around with them or was it buffet style?  I am looking into doing the same thing for my wedding as far as getting a big house and having a less formal cocktail-like reception rather than a sit down dinner.  Also, which house did you end up going with? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards