North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Driving Directions to OBX

Does anyone have advice on driving directions?  In particular coming in from the north.  I pulled these directions off of a site and my boss, who had a house in Duck for many years, seems to think that the Monitor-Merrimack bridge (Scenic Route) is the preferred route rather than going through Norfolk.  Specifically on a Friday or Saturday, heavy check in days.  Also, I heard tolls went up.  Any idea how much it is?

From the North
Follow I-95 South to Richmond, VA. Take I-64 East toward Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Va. Take I-64 or I-664 to Chesapeake, Va. From I-64, take Exit 291B to Route 168, the Chesapeake Expressway.* Once in North Carolina, Route 168 turns into US-158 East. Follow this road to The Outer Banks.
Chesapeake Expressway is a toll-road which costs $2.00 each way, EZPass and SmartTag accepted.

From Virginia's Eastern Shore across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (Route 13)
Follow Route 13, Northhampton Boulevard, to I-64 East (to Chesapeake), take Exit 291B to Route 168, the
Chesapeake Expressway.* Once in North Carolina, Route 168 turns into US-158 East. Follow this road to The Outer Banks. *Chesapeake Expressway is a toll-road which costs $2.00 each way, EZPass and SmartTag accepted.

For a Scenic Drive
Get off I-64 at Hampton, Va. Go South on I-664 through Monitor-Merrimack Memorial Bridge-Tunnel. Take I-64 toward Norfolk/Virginia Beach; then go south on US-17 at Deep Creek, Va. to South Mills, NC. Follow NC-343 south to US-158 South to The Outer Banks.

Re: Driving Directions to OBX

• Options
    hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Before they built the bypass road (168) the scenic route is the way that we always went.  Now we still go partially that way.  We do 17, 64, 664, 64, then get on 168 to 158, instead of getting on 17 through the dismal swamp.  Of course, on heavy traffic days such as Sat-Sun in the summertime, 17 through the dismal swamp area may actually be quicker.  Traffic can get really backed up, on 168/158 all the way into the OBX.  If I remember right the Merrimack Bridge-tunnel is free, I'm not sure what the toll went up to on 168 though, I'm sure someone else does though. 

BTW, did you get the lights?

Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • Options
    mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_driving-directions-obx?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:ad408c77-b910-413b-89a7-1eb749857275Post:c475d023-d758-42fb-b89c-6d9bb23a83bc">Re: Driving Directions to OBX</a>:
    [QUOTE]Before they built the bypass road (168) the scenic route is the way that we always went.  Now we still go partially that way.  We do 17, 64, 664, 64, then get on 168 to 158, instead of getting on 17 through the dismal swamp.  Of course, on heavy traffic days such as Sat-Sun in the summertime, 17 through the dismal swamp area may actually be quicker.  Traffic can get really backed up, on 168/158 all the way into the OBX.  If I remember right the Merrimack Bridge-tunnel is free, I'm not sure what the toll went up to on 168 though, I'm sure someone else does though. <strong> BTW, did you get the lights?
    </strong>Posted by hibiscus118[/QUOTE]

Yes, thank you!
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

I would take the "From the North" directions only b/c of the long drive....the MM Tunnel route seems as if it would make you go in a big loop to connect to 158 when you can just as easily do that with the 1st directions.

The only reason I say "b/c of the long drive" and I agree with PP, is b/c the traffic getting into obx can be painstakingly dreadful.  It normally takes us about 3-3.5 hours to get there from Richmond but last year, it took us 6.5 hours and I just wanted to cry.  We think it was b/c of all of the oil spills and everyone deserting the southern and FL beaches, so they took over obx and myrtle beach too I'm sure.  I am really hoping it's not that bad this year.  I mean literally, the fastest we went was 10mph....it got to the point where going any faster than that felt as if we were going to go G-force or something, lol.

There is a toll on the Ches. Exp right before you cross the state line and May 1, 2011, it went up from $2 to a whopping $6.  This is where the back-up usually begins....b/c there are 3 stoplights right AFTER the damn toll and it is so ridiculous.  Like seriously, these are the stoplights straight from hell, lol.  (Can ya tell how much I don't like these stoplights....boogers get me everytime, lol) Once you cross the line, it's pretty smooth sailing from there.  Once you get closer to the island, the you will probably hit a smaller backup going across the bridge...that is b/c of the lights on the island and everyone trying to go left towards Duck, Corolla or right towards Nags Head and Kitty Hawk.

Hope this helps :)

P.S.  You will see little roadside signs in NC for "Powell's Market" and that is a big big stop for people to get fresh produce, fruit, potty break, etc.  It's nice to support the local farmers in the area :)  Trust me, you can't miss it

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We usually follow your first route in.  We're coming from the west, but pick up your directions in Richmond, VA through Norfolk.  We've always gone down on a Sunday and never had the backup, though we've seen it leaving town on a Friday.  I've always commented that I'm glad we weren't heading into the OBX on the weekend... traffic is always waayy backed up.

Here's toll info- http://www.cityofchesapeake.net/services/depart/pub-wrks/chesapeake_expressway/express-advisoryboard.shtml#newtoll (ETA)
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We've always gone through Norfolk and haven't had too much of a problem. Fi and I headed to OBX in mid-May and paid a toll of $3. Not sure where the $6 toll is???
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The $6 toll is the same toll you paid....it's just that it's higher on the weekends vs. the weekdays.

Gotta love vdot for that one, lol

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    varedbirdvaredbird member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in Chespeake...yes the city that just raised the tolls.  I ALWAYS, ALWAYS take the Monitor Merrimac Bridge Tunnel(MMBT).  It is only slightly longer, but you run a much greater risk of hitting traffic on the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel(HRBT), especially on the weekends or rush hour. I would never risk the HRBT.  Check the traffic signs as you approach the tunnel, they will let you know if there is a back-up.  A back-up only occurs at the MMBT if there has been an accident. 

The tolls have gone up to $6 for the 168 toll road. You can always take the Business 168, but be prepared for traffic.  Only you can decide if the $6 is worth it.  

Plan on hitting traffic before the bridge onto the Outer Banks.  Can add anywhere from 30-60 minutes.  Last year was the worst!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you very much, ladies.  I will pass this info on to my guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards