North Carolina-Outer Banks

Need Outer Banks planning advice please.

Hey Outer Banks-area Knotties,

We’re doing an article for the local Knot Magazine, and we want to hear your tips on the best places in your area. Basically, this is a chance where we get to give props to local vendors. So tell us: What’s the best place for a bachelorette party in your city, the greatest florist, cake baker, hairdresser (and why!), or even the coolest place for photos or a post-wedding brunch. You’re not limited to these things, but it’s just an idea to get you started. 

Post below, and thanks in advance!

Annie
Tweet? Me too! Have you checked out our My Real Wedding Gallery for ideas? Upload your photos here and be featured on The Knot!

Re: Need Outer Banks planning advice please.

• sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My favorite vendor by far is SugarSnap Events- www.sugarsnapevents.com
    Shirley from SugarSnaps is providing the flowers for our October 9th wedding on the beach in Kill Devil Hills. From our very first interaction, I felt that Shirley actually LISTENED to me and then ran with my ideas. She took her knowledge of flowers and greenery and translated what I liked into amazing one-of-a-kind design ideas. We have had many times since our original planning meeting where things have changed with our event and she rolls with it all. She also responds to my emails or calls with lightning fast efficiency. I have zero doubts that when I see my bridal bouquet and flowers finally, I will be beyond pleased. I recommend her to any bride who is looking for someone upbeat, with great attention to detail and organization. I personally haven't been lucky enough to use their event planning service but I've only heard fabulous things from the brides who have. I hope that Shirley and SugarSnaps will get the recognition they deserve in your issue, they truly deserve it!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will certainly post in a month or so once I've experienced it and can tell you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Hi Knot Annie!

My favorite vendor so far is Outer Banks Productions who is doing my phtography.  I cannot begin to say enough wonderful things about Doug & Michelle!  I have spent hours on the phone talking to Doug about FI and I's story and how we met, our family background, traditions, etc.  I truly feel as if Doug has really taken the time to get to know FI and I throughout our wedding planning process and I feel that this will come to fruition on our wedding day and that our photos will be beyond amazing!  Doug & Michelle have a knack at making one feel comfortable from the first moment you speak to them...very caring individuals and I am so thrilled that I have gotten to know them better.

Of course the beach is the #1 place for photos however, Jockey's Ridge (largest sand dunes on the East Coast) have amazing sunsets and provide a stunning background for pictures.  Ms_Teach's sig pic is of her and husband on the dunes....amazing picture! 

108 Budleigh in Manteo is a very popular venue amongst brides and it's very easy to see why!  Absolutley gorgeous interior and the pefect setting for any reception.  Jennette's Pier is brand new and is owned by the NC Aquarium and has a pier-house that is 2nd to none....amazing ocean views for guests to admire.  There are a lot of great venues but these two happen to be my favorites.

Knot Annie...YGPM btw :)

• jendem8jendem8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    108 Budleigh is the most beautiful place and has been extremely easy to work with so far!  They have a full on-site kitchen and allow you to book your own caterer for food, cake, and alcohol.  Bonnie Hudgins (contact person there) is also extremeley sweet.  They also have the shortest contract I've ever signed; it pretty much says "no holes in the walls."  The place is yours for the entire day (7 am - 12 pm), and you're the only one who has the space.  I'll be getting married on the beach, and so there's peace of mind in knowing that I have a space to move my ceremony indoors to if need be.

image June 22, 2012
  • dwfangirldwfangirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the greatest florist - I have to agree with Sarah - Shirley at Sugar Snap is amazing.  Our flowers were stunning (from hair flowers to bouquets to bouts), and my bouquet stayed perfect for my "trash-the-dress" session the day after the wedding... 

cake baker - Marsha @ Great Cakes!  We had cupcakes for our wedding instead of a wedding cake in 3 flavors - her signature key lime bliss, vanilla with raspberry filling, and chocolate with peanut butter filling.  I couldn't even get a chocolate cupcake as the bride before they were all snapped up!  Everyone absolutely raved about them.  

The best places for photos is, of course, the beach.  The beaches on the Outer Banks are spectacular.  They are wide, and, particularly during the off season, almost like your own private beach.  The photos you will get are truly amazing.

Other superstars from our wedding were...
    Red Sky (catering).  The food was incredible, and the service was also fantastic.  They were always around when you wanted them but were never intrusive.  Eric Kallestad in particular was what I consider my wedding MVP.  He had run other events at the house we rented on the beach for our reception and was incredibly helpful at making recommendations outside the scope of catering.

Lynette and her crew at Aqua S in Duck, for our rehearsal dinner.  We rented out the restaurant for our rehearsal dinner, and it was perfect.  The location on the sound was stunning at sunset, and the food was amazing.  The staff, including Lynette (owner), were wonderful to work with.  I would highly recommend this venue to those looking for a great restaurant in the area, or looking for a venue for their rehearsal dinner or reception.  
  • hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I got married a little farther south in the OBX in the town of Hatteras.  It's about an hour south of Nags Head.  We loved all of our vendors for various reasons. 

By far my favorite vendor was my photographers.  Daniel Pullen Phototgraphy did an amazing job and we couldn't have asked for better pictures.  Him and his wife, Kate, shot both the wedding/reception, and the trash the dress shoot.  The were absolutely amazing.  The best place in the OBX to take pictures is of course the beach.  Another neat place is the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse.  We didn't get any wedding pictures here but we took our engagement pics here and they were great.  Hatteras also has quite a few marinas that would make for great photo ops.  Beautiful sunsets as well throughout the whole OBX.   

We rented an event home through Hatteras Realty for the week.  We hosted a welcome BBQ and the reception there.  The people at Hatteras Realty were so helpful throughout the entire planning process.  They gave us vendor ideas as well answered any questions we had.  We also got to walk through the house before we rented, as well as about a month before the wedding so we could get an idea of how we'd set things up.

We got our flowers through Every Blooming Thing and they were perfect.  Flowers were really important to me.  We were really stressed the week before the wedding because of an impending hurricane and Jinny helped calm us down so much and she kept her brides in the loop.  Her shop is in the basement of her house and she knew it would be flooded and lose power so she took all of the flowers to the local grocery store so they would not die.  Calmed me so much knowing she really cared about her clients. My flowers were beautiful. 

We got our cake through Outback Kitchen and it was the BEST wedding cake I've ever had.  We didn't even save the top tier for our first anniversary because we wanted to eat it.  Another great vendor was Bonnie Williams from Hatteras Wedding Ministries.  She was awesome and a huge help when we were making our ceremony wording. 
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

Florist- Sugar Snap 
    I agree with everything the ladies said.  Shirley is amazing.  She works with your budget and offers proposals at different price points right up front.  Her set up the day of was flawless and our flowers looked good the entire week after our wedding.  We used them to decorate our beach house.

Photography- Island Photography with Mike and Allie Hawkins
    Love, love, love!  They were so fun to work with and did more than just take pictures. They were truly there to help us on our wedding day.  We did a Trash the Dress the following week.  Our wedding was on a Friday and we had our pictures Monday.  Between both sessions we had almost 2,000 pictures plus two you tube videos.  Our professional album is priceless too.

Bridal Party Pampering- Hot Heads Salon
    Sofia did my manicure and pedicure the day before.  It was so nice to relax before the wedding.  It was the best pedicure foot massage I've ever had too.  They aren't as well-advertised as others in the area, but they were a great find!

Post-Wedding Brunch- The Dunes/R Bar
    We invited everyone to The Dunes for breakfast the morning after.  They let our group take over the bar area, kept the mimosas coming, and served a delicious breakfast.  Most of our group ordered the breakfast bar, but a few ordered off the menu too.  As a bonus, go at 11:30 so your guests can order breakfast or lunch.

Places for Pictures- Jockey's Ridge and Kitty Hawk Pier
    Sunset is on the sound in the OBX, not the ocean.  We braved the 10 minute hike to the top of the dunes for the pictures, and they are so worth it.  Also, we did our TTD shoot at the Kitty Hawk Pier and I love the way our wedding clothes contrast against the old wooden beams.

06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't had my wedding yet, so I can only go along with some planning things.....

108 Budleigh - Reception Venue
    Bonnie is amazing. Any email or phone call is answered within hours. In fact, there have been times I have left her an email and she's back to me within 15 min. I don't know how she does it! Besides, the venue itself, is stunning. You don't even need to decorate; it just exudes elegance and class. (Very romantic!)

Bridget Mcenaney - Photographer
    Unfortunately, she was booked for our day. However, that didn't seem to matter to her. She still worked with us, to help us find a photographer that fit our needs. She's younger and somewhat new to the biz, but she's got a long career ahead of her. Her talent rivals photographers that have been in the biz their entire lives. I can't say enough about her, and she wasn't even able to be my photographer! She's not from the OBX, (I'm thinking she may be from Raleigh), but she does several OBX weddings and I know there have been several brides here who are having her as their photographer.

Jule Dreelin - Photographer

Again, she wasn't able to do our wedding, but she was amazing. Communication with her is as easy as pie! She is super sweet and she even sends you suggestions and updates of recent weddings or TTD sessions she has done that may be similar to something you might have told her you liked. I would recommend her.

Places for Pics...

Jockey's Ridge is gorgeous. I have seen several bridges that had their pictures here. The pink/purple sunsets in contrast with the sand is breathtaking!

Kitty Hawk Pier
    - You should see the pic Ms_Teach has here during a TTD session. All I can say is, "Can I buy a vowel... because "O...my god!" (That's from friends... just in case you were wondering. hehehe)

4x4 area  - Corolla and Carova
    I wish I could find the link of the girl that had her pics here. I seriously cried when I saw them. Her pics are on the sand dunes up there and they are probably the most gorgeous wedding pics I have ever seen in my life! In the middle of them, a wild horse came running by, it's in 2 of her photos. You should see it! If anyone knows the link, let me know. If I remember correctly the groom is in a military uniform (always nice...wink, wink) and I think they had to change the date due to an incoming storm.

• edited December 2011
    Yay! I found it... it's from OBX photographer, Genevieve Stewart's blog....

http://www.genevievestewartblog.com/?p=1613
  • evenundomielevenundomiel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    best place to stay -- the Cameron House Inn (they even have space in the side yard for a small ceremony, gorgeous)

best catering -- Basnight's Lone Cedar, great food and awesome service!! and they do anything, but their local seafood is what you come to the Outer Banks for, right?

best florist/event planning -- The Embellishers -- they're just incredible. They can make ANYTHING look like a high end wedding, and their floral arrangements are spot-on. They also do coordinating, which is awesome. Anything that can make this process of planning a wedding less stressful is #1 in my book! Gail and Brenda are fabulous.

best thing to do for a bachelorette party -- outer banks pub crawl!! awesome!!!

best place for a brunch -- a little gem in Manteo (Roanoke Island) is Adrianna's. They are part of the Beach Ball Events group...but this restaraunt stands head and shoulders above the rest. They have an amazing menu, and can customize it to your needs. Plus, the location is incredible...it overlooks the water in downtown Manteo. You can enjoy the beauty of the boats at dock, glimpse the Elizabeth II, and look at Marshes Light...it's pretty incredible. 

***I'm an Outer Banks local (born and raised!) so it takes a LOT to impress me when it comes to local wedding vendors. When your hometown is the #1 destination wedding location on the East Coast it seems that everyone here has some kind of wedding schtick. The above vendors are extraordinary!!
    imageAnniversary
  • rloseccorlosecco member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I just got back from my honeymoon and I gotta say, MY combination of vendors is the best!!!  ;-)  Here's what I just wrote in a different thread:

Reception Venue: Pier House at the Hilton Garden Inn (Kitty Hawk) - I wanted a reception on the ocean and this is exactly what I got. The space is gorgeous and the room fee includes the centerpieces, so you really don't NEED any other decorations. Also if you use this venue you have to use their catering. We didn't have a problem with any of the meals. As far as the service, it could not have been better. The main contact I had is named Miha and she was AWESOME. Very prompt in her responses to emails or phone calls, somehow always had a picture of what I was thinking in my mind, etc. I don't remember the guy who was actually supervising the servers at the reception but he was awesome, and fast too. As far as pricing, I thought it was a fair price for what we got, and comparable to or cheaper than the other options we had considered.

Photography: The Love Project - also awesome!!! Just go to their website and give them a call or email. It is a husband and wife team. Their work is great and they are great people to be around. One of my favorite things about them is they have a lot of wedding experience so when you go over your timeline of the day with them, they can give suggestions. The other half of my favorite thing about them, is that they do things other than weddings too, so they aren't jaded by weddings, and I also think this outside experience helps them be more creative.

Flowers: The Embellishers - loved them too! Brenda and Gail are the ladies and I especially liked that they helped me decide what I wanted, but also helped me think of ways to lower the costs because flowers were not on my "splurge" list of expenses.

Ceremony Music: Club Violin - I went with the string trio, which was a great choice. I also hired an outside pianist/organist who plays with them at weddings sometimes. Ceremony music is one place I was willing to splurge but the prices were very reasonable and the results were more than satisfying.

Reception Music: Matt Cooper, Outer Banks Music Masters - I actually saw him recommeded here on the Knot and just went with the recommendation. I'm so glad I did. He nailed it! He is very organized but also laid back. Kind of calming when so many other things are stressful! Anyway, my perspective is that the point of a DJ is to kind of be an MC, and execute the timeline. Otherwise, the DJ knows the feel of the crowd and can decide better than I can when to play a slow song or a line dance or fast fun song. I also like the surprise of not knowing what song comes next. So we told him the first dance songs, cake cutting song, and final song, and only gave him 4 or 5 must play songs. Other than that we told him some of the current music we like to give him an idea of what we were looking for, and he totally nailed it.

Cake: Cakes by Robin - also great! We went with one of the beachy looking cakes. Robin is very sweet and makes a tasty cake. I also found her prices to be MUCH BETTER than the other options in the area.

Transportation: Luxury Limmosine - we got the escalade limo which is right on the homepage of the website. Kevin was super nice and calming and knew his way around the venues for pick ups and drop offs. His prices are good and the limo was clean and cool. He was on time and very professional.

Hair/make up/nails (Beauty services): Hairoics - I used hairoics for everything. First, they had great reviews and recommendations. Second, I needed a place that had enough room and staff for the large number of us to come in all at the same time, that was fairly close to the ceremony. Two days before, I went in for my regular waxes which went really well. The day before, I went in with some of the ladies for manicures and pedicures. This was actually really nice because the day before was SO stressful for me and I got to relax and get pretty with my girls :-). The day of, 7 of us had our hair done, and 5 of us had our make up done. We were ALL really happy with it! Additionally, all of the staff were friendly and also professional.

Rehearsal dinner: Lone Cedar Cafe - SO GOOD. We loved Lone Cedar for so many reasons. First we wanted to pick something a little out of the way to show our close friends and family another part of the outer banks (Lone Cedar was about half an hour away from all of our other festivities) and is on the sound side. We also wanted to give them a true OBX seafood meal. Boy was the food good there! They even have a garden where they grow some of the ingredients! We were in a private room, and did a family style meal. To sum it up, the food and the service was fantastic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards