North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

DJ needed! Any recs?

We were going to have a friend do it, but he's kind of flaky and dj's at bars, not weddings, so I'd just feel more comfortable hiring someone to do it that has experience. 

Does anyone have a rec for a good dj who isn't going to cost me a grand? (or even $600+)

Thanks,
Anna

Re: DJ needed! Any recs?

• Options
    sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard good things about John Harper & DJ Bruce. We used Mike Smith but I wouldn't recommend him.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and I believe all the DJs we interviewed charged about the same price- $800 for 4 hours. Sorry!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    DJ John Harper!!  Loved loved loved him :)

He charges $200 an hour and that is pretty standard in the OBX for DJ services.

A few of the girls on here have done their own music using an Ipod and several playlists and it worked great for them!  If you really want to hire a DJ, consider using an Ipod during cocktail hour and only hire him for the reception part of the evening :)

• Options
    llilleyllilley member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using Barryoke. He's kinda hard to get a hold of, but we met him at the expo year and we really liked him.  Some one else on here has used him and might chime in too (krhoy!).  He charges $150 for the first 4 hours and then $100 after that, which might work for you depending on the amount of time you want!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Anna,

Check out DJ Tommy Midgett.  He charged us $600.  He set up on the beach speakers and keyboard.  He played for us during ceremony.  He also set up speakers and ipod around the pool for an hour long cocktail hour.  Then he set up on the third floor of our beach house for a four hour reception.  He arrived early and spent a long time setting everything up.  He will even sing out on the beach before/after ceremony.  Altogether he spent 6 hours with us plus about 2 hours before setting up and an hour after breaking down.  Very Reasonably Priced for all the time he spent there.  Over 9 hours! 

He is a bit goofy but we liked that as we were going for a laid back fun filled day.  All our guests thought he was hilarious.  He followed my timeline of the day.  He played exactly what music I asked for and stuck to my do not play list.  I have no complaints and highly recommend if you like his laid back goofy style.  Check out musicbytommy dot com
  • Options
    kellyo0131kellyo0131 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Matt Cooper - around $200 per hour.  Did a Great job at my Budleigh Wedding 11-11-11!!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to discjockeysnow.com $595 includes 5 hours and travel from hampton roads VA to manteo. Sounds good but my wedding isnt til May 5!
  • Options
    asoho0704asoho0704 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks everyone!!  I copied and pasted all these to my fiance, I told him booking the dj is going to be his job - lol!!

full time grad school, full time job, full time wedding coming up (now that I'm 6 months out I guess I can't keep ignoring it lol) - this sucks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards